Interior room size

emmaco

Does any one know what the difference is between a handicapped accessable interior room and a reg interior room? Are they larger?

Thank You!

The rooms are the same size but the bathroom in the handicapped room is larger, limiting the space in the rest of the cabin. It is cramped in the cabin.

Does any one know what the difference is between a handicapped accessable interior room and a reg interior room? Are they larger?

Thank You!

Out of respect for handicapped cruisers, I would suggest you leave this cabin for handicapped cruisers. Cruise ships have very few handicapped cabins. These cabins are specially designed so a person in a wheelchair is able to cruise. Wheelchair users or people with mobility devices are not able to get into regular cabins.

Handicapped cabins are not any larger on Carnival. There is less furniture (No sofa or coffee table etc) in the cabin so it may seem roomier.

Thank you for your consideration.

Out of respect for handicapped cruisers, I would suggest you leave this cabin for handicapped cruisers. Cruise ships have very few handicapped cabins.

I agree. Handicapped cabins on cruise ships are a very tiny percentage of regular cabins for able-bodied cruisers, and should be reserved for those that are handicapped.

My mother has mobility problems, and for the past 2 years, has required booking a h/c cabin. She has a wheelchair and a walker, which will not fit into a regular cabin. I know a lot of cruisers think it would be great to get a bigger cabin, and most may not realize that if they book a h/c cabin, then that is a h/c person that will not be able to take that cruise.

I think a lot of the trouble is with the reservation agents that offer the h/c cabin to a non-h/c person.

They will bump you from a handicapped cabin to accommodate a handicapped cruiser, if you really don't qualify, so there is a risk.

How exactly do they know if the person who reserved the handicapped cabin is someone who needs it or not, until they show up? The cruise line can only assume that the person who ordered an accessible room needs it. If an able-bodied person has reserved a cabin that is specifically designated as set aside for handicapped, it does not show up as being available for the person who NEEDS it.

Having gone through the process of trying to find an accessible cabin for my wheelchair-bound husband, I can tell you that the reservation agents I've talked to have no idea whether the people who have reserved the accessible cabins need the accessibility or just want the "extra room." All the know is they are not available to us.

Please don't take an accessible room if you don't need it. If you had to travel a couple days with someone in a wheelchair, you would understand that these rooms make the difference between being able to cruise and being stuck at home.

I would assume all TAs just ask you during booking if you really qualify for a handicapped cabin, I know we've been asked during booking when we tried to book one (unknown to us) on the Paradise. I suppose a person could lie about it, but that's not right. We ended up in the regular cabin next door which was fine with us. I've heard of people who don't qualify being bumped and being told at booking time that they can be bumped if a handicapped cruiser comes along who really needs the cabin. I wouldn't take the risk personally.

Thank You!

The difference is one is handicapped accessible and should only be booked by people who require it and the other is not.

Sorry but this is an issue that is important to me. Many disabled people are not able to book the cruise they want or have to book very far out in order to get one of the few handicapped accessible cabins. It's not right when someone who doesn't need it books it just because it is bigger or has a bigger balcony.

I am disabled but, at this time, do not require any accommodations and I would never think of booking one of these cabins. However, in the future, it is quite possible I will need one and I'd like to think they would be available for me.

Bumping people is a myth and rarely happens.

cathyz -- Happy to hear that your travel agent made you aware that your were trying to book a wheelchair assessable room. We know of travel agents who will suggest to people to book it for additional space. Then you have the people who will book them but are not in a wheelchair. Sometimes these people really only need a shower seat. Finally you got the people how book them knowingly. They sometimes do that with the idea if someone really needs it they will get moved.

With so few wheelchair assessable rooms on a ship -- it is really hard to get these rooms. We have booked cruises 2 years in advance to get the room we want.

I am on disability, and have breathing and back problems. I don't alway use my chair, but need it with me for those times when I can not stand to go another step.

In Janurary, we cruised on sensation, and had an interior room. I had to get up and walk into the room, then bring the chair in. Yes, on that cruise, my chair was used 24/7 because I had only been out of the hospital about a month.

In response to who needs a handicap room, when you book the room, they will send you a medical form to fill out and fax back to them. I usually just take mine when I go. If you are a past cruiser, and you use a PVP, as opposed to a TA, then they know you. My PVP knows me well, and does all he can to help me get what I need and what I want.

There are only 13 handicap cabins on Glory. but we booked in Feb, so we had the opportunity to book the room we wanted. I also made it understood to my PVP, that if someone more handicap than I came and needed the room, I would be willing to change rooms as long as it was an OV room. Since booking, I am not needing the chair all the time.

Granted that walking the ship I will need it occasionally. But not always.

I DID NOT START THIS THREAD TO GET FLAMED. I SHOULD HAVE CALLED CARNIVAL INSTEAD FOR A ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. YOU DO NOT KNOW MY CIRCUMSTANCE.

AND YES (UMBARGER) I DO HAVE RESPECT FOR ALL HANDICAPPED PEOPLE. YOU SHOULD NOT ASSUME! :rolleyes:

I WANT THIS THREAD ENDED.

I DID NOT START THIS THREAD TO GET FLAMED. I SHOULD HAVE CALLED CARNIVAL INSTEAD FOR A ANSWER TO MY QUESTION. YOU DO NOT KNOW MY CIRCUMSTANCE.

AND YES (UMBARGER) I DO HAVE RESPECT FOR ALL HANDICAPPED PEOPLE. YOU SHOULD NOT ASSUME! :rolleyes:

I WANT THIS THREAD ENDED.

Emma, calm down, take a deep breath.....no need to yell or get so defensive.:eek:

I did not flame you or ever say or assume that you didn't have respect for handicapped people. I am just trying to educate people to the plights of handicapped persons who want to cruise.

Emma, calm down, take a deep breath.....no need to yell or get so defensive.:eek:

I did not flame you or ever say or assume that you didn't have respect for handicapped people. I am just trying to educate people to the plights of handicapped persons who want to cruise.

Umbarger;

Let me start by saying I am an HC cruiser that has to live in a WC.....but your original post on this thread was apparently on the assumption that the poster was an AB passenger looking for a larger cabin and I don't believe they said they where AB but they where simply asking for info, they could have been HC...as it turned out, they where AB... I do agree that many times AB's do intentionally book HC cabins for the extra space they offer on some cruise lines and it is a problem that needs addressed with any Cruise line that is willing to listen, but I don't think it is right to acuse all HC inquiries as 'Bad Guys' wanting our cabins before you know what is on there mind !! JMO

Later;

glenn (buckeyeair)

Umbarger;

Let me start by saying I am an HC cruiser that has to live in a WC.....but your original post on this thread was apparently on the assumption that the poster was an AB passenger looking for a larger cabin and I don't believe they said they where AB but they where simply asking for info, they could have been HC...as it turned out, they where AB... I do agree that many times AB's do intentionally book HC cabins for the extra space they offer on some cruise lines and it is a problem that needs addressed with any Cruise line that is willing to listen, but I don't think it is right to acuse all HC inquiries as 'Bad Guys' wanting our cabins before you know what is on there mind !! JMO

Later;

glenn (buckeyeair)

I do not "accuse all HC inquiries as 'Bad Guys'". Now, who is assuming?

Generally, HC cruisers do not ask if handicapped cabins are larger. They usually ask about accessibility issues such as grab bars, roll in showers, door width etc. You can also research the OP's posts on other threads.

You should know as well as I that cruise lines do not address this issue. Therefore, we should together try to educate AB cruisers.

It is sad that one HC person has to run down another HC person and make me feel like the "bad guy' of this thread when I did nothing wrong. Thank you for ruining my day, Glenn. :(

Quote" Calm down, take a deep breath.....no need to yell or get so defensive" Unquote

I think at times your attitude is all wrong but apparently you can't step back and realize that.....to bad for you and sorry you feel that way..............Have a GREAT day.........

glenn (buckeyeair)

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this thread looking for the same information the OP posted is the HC room larger then Reg room?. my story is My wife is in a scooter we need more room because of the size of the scooter and getting around in the room. we never even wondered about handrails ect.our last and first cruise was on princess and we parked the scooter in the hall Carnival wont allow us to do this. I am not defending the OP because i don't know what there story is but i do want to remind ppl there is more to a HC room then Handrails.

Archived