Snorkeling??????????First Cruise Please Help!

gizmo0013

We are going on a cruise Dec 31 for our honeymoon. It is the Royal Caribbean Cruise Majesty of the Sea going to the Bahamas. We want to go snorkeling but dont want to use rental equipment. I have my own from scuba diving we will have to buy his. I was wanting to know what do you usually carry with you? What do you keep it in on the cruise and getting on the cruise? (Seperate bags or suitcase) Do we need the vest? What is equipment is mandatory to snorkel on our own? Where is a good place to buy his equipment? Where can we snorkel on our own? Anything will help!

We are going on a cruise Dec 31 for our honeymoon. It is the Royal Caribbean Cruise Majesty of the Sea going to the Bahamas. We want to go snorkeling but dont want to use rental equipment. I have my own from scuba diving we will have to buy his. I was wanting to know what do you usually carry with you? What do you keep it in on the cruise and getting on the cruise? (Seperate bags or suitcase) Do we need the vest? What is equipment is mandatory to snorkel on our own? Where is a good place to buy his equipment? Where can we snorkel on our own? Anything will help!

Hi,

Have a question or two? :)

We carry at minimum our own snorkel and mask (for fit and sanitary reasons). Fins are fins so we'll use the ones on the excursions.

Since these are small items, and not banned on planes, I'll usually wrap the masks in a small cloth and tuck them in my backpack and carry them on the plane (both from a "won't break that way" and "don't want to miss out on snorkeling because they lost my bag" point of view).

Vests will be provided on almost all excursions or rented on the beach (I personally float in salt water and don't need one but usually have to since it's manditory in a lot of places).

To snorkel on your own, we will also bring along our fins. Without fins it's like trying to paddle a canoe with a handle with no blade. Fins not only make you more manuverable but are necessary should you accidently get into a current (though this doesn't happen often, never for me so far). Plus we bring along a small waterproof bag for our money, cruise cards and valuables (don't ever leave anything on the beach but a towel. These are readily available at sporting goods stores, dive shops and the internet.

As far as buying. When it comes to the mask, I recommend your local dive shop. While they're a buck or two more, the ideal of missing that great snorkel because your mask keeps filling with water is worth it. All others, fins, mask, bag, etc. wherever you feel best.

Where can you snorkel on your own? Any beach that allows you to.:) Seriously, check the port of call threads to see where people recommend based on where you're going.

Need further details, check farther down the messages in this group or write back!

Happy Honeymoon!

Randall

Hi,

Have a question or two? :)

We carry at minimum our own snorkel and mask (for fit and sanitary reasons). Fins are fins so we'll use the ones on the excursions.

Since these are small items, and not banned on planes, I'll usually wrap the masks in a small cloth and tuck them in my backpack and carry them on the plane (both from a "won't break that way" and "don't want to miss out on snorkeling because they lost my bag" point of view).

Vests will be provided on almost all excursions or rented on the beach (I personally float in salt water and don't need one but usually have to since it's manditory in a lot of places).

To snorkel on your own, we will also bring along our fins. Without fins it's like trying to paddle a canoe with a handle with no blade. Fins not only make you more manuverable but are necessary should you accidently get into a current (though this doesn't happen often, never for me so far). Plus we bring along a small waterproof bag for our money, cruise cards and valuables (don't ever leave anything on the beach but a towel. These are readily available at sporting goods stores, dive shops and the internet.

As far as buying. When it comes to the mask, I recommend your local dive shop. While they're a buck or two more, the ideal of missing that great snorkel because your mask keeps filling with water is worth it. All others, fins, mask, bag, etc. wherever you feel best.

Where can you snorkel on your own? Any beach that allows you to.:) Seriously, check the port of call threads to see where people recommend based on where you're going.

Need further details, check farther down the messages in this group or write back!

Happy Honeymoon!

Randall

What kind of waterproof bag do I hunt for? I will need something waterproof for our phones and camera too? Do you know any kind of waterproof bags for cameras and phones?

What kind of waterproof bag do I hunt for? I will need something waterproof for our phones and camera too? Do you know any kind of waterproof bags for cameras and phones?

Hi,

I use "Dry Pak" brand waterproof bags. They make like a zillion styles for everything from beach towels to cell phones to gameboys. Their website is: http://www.drypakcase.com/. Of course there are other brands, these are just the ones I use (they're generally good to 30ft.).

Randall

Archived