Bed accommodations for kids

tamcim72

We are looking to book a cruise with our kids, ages 6 & 8. What are the different sleeping arrangements on the various cruise lines. Looking at Carnival, RC, NCL, and Princess. Connecting cabin not an option (I'm too nervous about the second door and safety)

Your input is appreciated!

We are looking to book a cruise with our kids, ages 6 & 8. What are the different sleeping arrangements on the various cruise lines. Looking at Carnival, RC, NCL, and Princess. Connecting cabin not an option (I'm too nervous about the second door and safety)

I will be taking my first cruise with the kids in 2009 but I have started the planning process. I have already been on 2 other cruises and the way the room is set up, my dd (11 at time of cruise) will take other bed, my ds (14 at time of cruise) will take fold down bunk and my ds (13 at time of cruise) will take sofa bed. I am sure my dd will want to sleep with mommy a couple of nights, which is okay. At that point, maybe the boys will rotate. As long as they are on the ship, I don't think they would care if they had to sleep in the shower!!!! lol:D

Carnival - in an OV or inside with pullmans, the beds come out of the ceiling. So they would be like top bunk beds over your queen sized bed.

Carnival Suites - the sofa converts into a full sized queen bed big enough to fit two kids.

RCCL - same as Carnival pretty much. To find a sofa bed in a room, look for cabin with a "triangle" on the deck plans.

Disney - the Cat 6 that we stayed in had one pullman, one lower bed and then one queen (or king, can't remember) bed.

I hate to say it but not only each cruisline is different but each ship is different within the cruisline.

Also, you want to consider bath verses showers. On RCCL, the tubs start at Junior suite and up. On carnival, the tubs start in Cat 11 (I believe).

I can only give an example...

We are cruising on Carnival Liberty with 2 kids (3 and 1). In the Carnival brochure there are symbols by many of the cabin types. The symbol we went with is a square. The square represents a cabin with a king bed, single sofa, and an upper bunk that folds out of the wall.

You might also consider the two dots symbol which means 2 uppers.

There are lots of options on the various lines.

I've travelled with a 3 and 6 year old, and I am a little wary still of putting even the 6 year old on the fold out bunk bed on the wall. There is only a partial railing, and it is pretty high up for a fall.

I second the idea of looking for a cabin with a pull out sofa bed. On one of our cruises, we also had a third foldwaya bed for our girls that was set up between the other two, so we had essentially a wall-to-wall bed for 3, plus the wall bunk for the 4th adult. Not the most romantic option though.

We don't mind cramming 2 adults and 2 small kids into a small room, but keep in mind it can get a bit crowded at times. Definitely find out exactly how much space is in the cabin you are booking (some lines run as small as 120 sq feet!!!!) and be sure you can live with it.

Archived