From HAL to Carnival

eandme

After 3 cruises with HAL we are excited to try a different cruise line even if they are owned by the same company. We are in our late fifties and did enjoy HAL a lot, but it's time to try new things. Our son lives in Houston, Tx. so we are taking the Conquest out of Galveston in January with another couple from our home town in Canada. I have a few questions that I haven't seen answered completely on this forum.

1) Do inside cabins have a fridge?

2) I have read in some posts say you can take 1 bottle of wine/cabin

when embarking; others have said more. Which is it?

3) Since you can't take hard liquor on unless you smuggle it, can you

order a bottle from room service and drink it in your room?

4) Since we will be spending Christmas in Houston we will be leaving

our house 3 weeks prior to the cruise. Generally how soon before

the cruise do you get your documents? Should we make other

arrangements for the documents ( perhaps to be delivered to our son's

address?)

Thanks in advance for your help in answering these questions. These forums are always such a wealth of great information.

1) Do inside cabins have a fridge? I'm not sure. I had a balcony on the Conquest.

2) I have read in some posts say you can take 1 bottle of wine/cabin

when embarking; others have said more. Which is it? While I believe the actual wording is "a reasonable quantity" I do know that two per person is considered "reasonable".

3) Since you can't take hard liquor on unless you smuggle it, can you

order a bottle from room service and drink it in your room? No. But I do believe you can pre-order if from the Bon Voyage department for delivery to your room. Limited variety.

4) Since we will be spending Christmas in Houston we will be leaving

our house 3 weeks prior to the cruise. Generally how soon before

the cruise do you get your documents? Should we make other

arrangements for the documents ( perhaps to be delivered to our son's

address?) Carnival now has the option of e-docs. You can print them from your computer at any time once your cabin has been assigned. however, paper docs usually arrive 30 days before your sailing.

Enjoy your trip! I loved the Conquest. :D

Fridge in the inside cabins.

We sailed on the Conquest in December 2002 (just after she started sailing) and I know we had an inside cabin. I want to say YES there was a fridge...but remember we are dealing with a senior citizen here with "senior moments".

Please also be aware that if you are cruising with school is out on holiday, you will have more children on Carnival than on HAL.

Other than that...this 50 something has always had a wonderful time on Carnival....but then, (as long as they have karaoke) I will have a wonderful time no matter what ship (or cruiseline) I am on!! :D

I had a friend "smuggle" a bottle of rum on the cruise last week. He asked his cabin steward if it would hold up his luggage and get confiscated. The steward said that they really wouldn't care about 1 bottle, it is cases of beer and multiple bottles of liquor that usually cause a problem. He still spent plenty at the bars.

DISCLAIMER-- I do not advocate breaking rules, this is just an experience that I thought I would share.

MAC

Archived