Car Rental Or Shuttle??

cruising4u

I am wondering what would be better?? We (myself, husband and (2) teenagers, are flying into MCO Sat. AM and heading to our hotel which is Country Inn & Suites in PC. We will then board on Sun AM.

Should we use the shuttle system to the hotel from airport and from the hotel back to the airport? Or are we better off renting a car for a day, returning it and then after the cruise renting a car to go back to the airport? If we take the shuttle back and fourth, will we be able to walk and or take taxi's Sat. for the day and night?

Thank you!

I am wondering what would be better?? We (myself, husband and (2) teenagers, are flying into MCO Sat. AM and heading to our hotel which is Country Inn & Suites in PC. We will then board on Sun AM.

Should we use the shuttle system to the hotel from airport and from the hotel back to the airport? Or are we better off renting a car for a day, returning it and then after the cruise renting a car to go back to the airport? If we take the shuttle back and fourth, will we be able to walk and or take taxi's Sat. for the day and night?

Thank you!

IMHO, you'd by much better off renting a car. It's definitely cheaper than shuttles/taxis for 4 people, and it will give you transportation on Saturday. There really isn't anything within walking distance of the hotel.

We recommend either Avis or Budget because they are located inside the airport, and are close to Country Inn and Suites. You can get discount coupons from walmart.com or a wholesale club website like Costco or BJs. Hertz would be convenient too, but any time I've priced them, they were the most expensive.

You are going to love the Mariner! She's a gorgeous ship. Check out my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623970

IMHO, you'd by much better off renting a car. It's definitely cheaper than shuttles/taxis for 4 people, and it will give you transportation on Saturday. There really isn't anything within walking distance of the hotel.

We recommend either Avis or Budget because they are located inside the airport, and are close to Country Inn and Suites. You can get discount coupons from walmart.com or a wholesale club website like Costco or BJs. Hertz would be convenient too, but any time I've priced them, they were the most expensive.

You are going to love the Mariner! She's a gorgeous ship. Check out my review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=623970

Thanks so much!

We are in the exact same situation, except we are a family of 5. We are even staying at the same hotel, but not until next March. :mad:

I've done a lot of research on this, but it is more geared towards a family of 5. It boils down to how much luggage will you have? If you can rent a CAR (not a van), then renting the car is cheaper, but if you are 4 people, you will have a lot of luggage that probably wont fit in the trunk. Anyways, here is what I've posted in other threads on this topic:

IMO: Family of 5: DO NOT RENT A CAR! :)

You will need a minivan for all 5 people with luggage. Minivans are a premium vehicle, and the best rate I could find including taxes was $94.00 per day. Throw gas and tolls on top, and you are over $200 to rent a minivan. And that's with coupons from mousesavers dot com.

For $200 return, we have a private van taking us from Sunraytransportation dot com.

Here's why a private shuttle is so much nicer:

1. They meet you right at the luggage area of the airport. You simply pile into the van, and off you go to the port. With a rental car, you need to checkin at the counter (could be 5 minutes, could be 30 minutes).

2. At the port, they drop you off right there! You are good to go right into the terminal. With a rental car, you drop off the family at the port, then drive to the car rental agency which is not AT the port, you drop off the car, and catch their shuttle back to the port.

3. After your cruise, you simply look for the private shuttle driver holding your name on a placard. You pile into the van, and in minutes you are back on the way to the airport. With a rental car, you get off the boat, look for your rental agency shuttle, pile in with 100 other people renting a car, and they shuttle you to the counter where you checkin (could be 5 mins, could be 30 mins), and get your van.

4. At the airport on the way home, your driver drops you off right at the departure level gates, and you walk in the doors to the airline checkin counters. :) With a rental car, you need to return the car, and then either walk from the lot back to the terminal, or catch another shuttle to the terminal.

NOW.. if you were 2 people, and can rent a car for $40 for the day, you will save money renting.

We are a family of 5, and I've spent a lot of time going over all my options. A private shuttle/limo is the way to go!

All in my humble opinion, of course :cool:

A fullsize car or an SUV is sufficient for a family of 4, so you don't have to make the jump to a minivan.

A car service has the above advantages if you are arriving on the day the ship departs. However, when arriving one day earlier, it's a huge plus having our own transportation on Saturday to explore Cocoa Beach, go out to dinner, etc.

If you use a rental car company that is located inside the airport, it isn't nealry as inconveninet as the above post makes it sound. Tolls and gas were less than $15 total.

Archived