Gondola rides - Venice

Whether you pay the Gondolier direct (cash) or pay a tour company for a somekind of tour and Gondola ride - you end up paying out your hard earned money anyway. In fact, per person it works out more expensive as the Gondola will be probably be filled (6 people at least) and per person on the tour they are actually getting more money! - either the Gondolier or the travel company itself is keeping the difference.

All I am trying to point out is that a Gondola ride is not transportation from A to B, like a water taxi or Vapporetto.

Whatever you decide - enjoy Venice!:D

Taf---I loved the way you put the cost into perspective.

If anyone gets their hair cut and turned into a "natural" color without fliching, or has a car payment because they "needed" something newer (I drive '95 with 180000 miles, but cruise a balcony or better), or decides to cruise instead of doing day trips for vacations we all make choices about how to spend our money--and in the grand scheme of things the gondola rode is a bargain.

We loved our gondolier. He explained about how he had to be tested, how he maintains his boat--and how he named it for his daughter, who also loves to row. I would say it is a once in a lifetime experience, but I have a feeling we'll do it again.

We paid the going rate in the back street canal, knowing that it was bad form to haggle and knowing in advance what it would cost. (our gondolier even sang and we didn't ask him to)

Whether you pay the Gondolier direct (cash) or pay a tour company for a somekind of tour and Gondola ride - you end up paying out your hard earned money anyway. In fact, per person it works out more expensive as the Gondola will be probably be filled (6 people at least) and per person on the tour they are actually getting more money! - either the Gondolier or the travel company itself is keeping the difference.

All I am trying to point out is that a Gondola ride is not transportation from A to B, like a water taxi or Vapporetto.

Whatever you decide - enjoy Venice!:D

I've been to Venice before, didn't ride the gondola then and may not this time either. My friend and I will decide that as the time comes closer. It's not a "romantic interlude in a gondola" type thing I'm looking for. At least by booking the tour, would be getting something more than just the gondola ride for close to same price. May even just do the traghetto (sp?) to say we did it. If we even go on the trip at all. As prices keep rising, and the dollar declining, I'm thinking more and more of cancelling and just keeping my vacation dollar in the U.S.

I've been to Europe a number of times, so if I don't make it this time, it's not a big deal, just wanted to show my 78 year old friend Italy and Greece, don't want to buy the place.

Archived