"Pop of color" or "Why is she wearing THAT?"

Robin7

So I, at 46, am just barely becoming interested in fashion and how I look. (I'm a REALLY LATE bloomer.) And I just discovered "What Not To Wear". I've been DVR-ing all of the episodes and am nearly on WNTW overload!:eek: Anyway, I've heard Stacy and Clinton say over and over again when shoes don't match the outfit in any way, "Oh, those shoes are lovely! What a great pop of color!" So I have a black and white print dress (faux wrap, cap sleeves, ruched waist, small print) and thought I'd add a 'pop of color' (and a little bling) with these shoes.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/23598602/c/95173/g/women/s/13/w/M_768.html

Will people admire my 'pop of color' or will they just think 'Why isn't she wearing black shoes??? Those are ridiculous." And what color bag would you get to go with these shoes? (I know it doesn't have to match.) Please help me! I'm fashion-impaired.

Robin

Love, love WNTW, watch it every week. I say go for the pop of color! I own both pink & red shoes, I wear the pink ones more and I love having something a bit different on my feet.

And stick to a black purse, because no it doesn't have to match. However, if you want to tie the shoes in a bit more, add some pink jewelry (think delicate beading, gemstones) keep it simple though and you'll have people saying "SHUT UP".......lol :D

Thanks for all the input! Y'all are really helpful. I've got a black purse and small hot pink hoops to wear with it. Can't wait!

Now I have another question:

I keep hearing Stacy and Clinton say "It doesn't have to match, it just has to go with it." What does that mean? And how do you know if something doesn't match but goes??? Is that just an innate ability that I didn't get?

Robin

I think when they refer to "it just goes" it means using some of their rules for non matchy-matchy things and understanding that this can work very well. Meaning--how many times have we seen them match a jacket and trouser of different colors or small patterns? I just watched this Friday's episode of matching a brown blazer with gray trousers--very interesting.

It's much the same as the "pop" of color idea. Your shoes do not necessarily 'match' the outfit as they are neither black or white--but they 'go'.....

Thanks for all the input! Y'all are really helpful. I've got a black purse and small hot pink hoops to wear with it. Can't wait!

Now I have another question:

I keep hearing Stacy and Clinton say "It doesn't have to match, it just has to go with it." What does that mean? And how do you know if something doesn't match but goes??? Is that just an innate ability that I didn't get?

Robin

It's also coordinating fabrics, as well as casual/dressy etc. Some fabrics just do not go well together. If you have a pair of dressier pants (say black) that is something you can always dress down or up depending on what shirt you put w/it. For instance today I have on navy dress pants, a white sweater and very pale pink shoes. No the shoes don't "match" the shirt, but they certainly go w/the outfit and they do give that little pop of color.

I think those shoes are really cute and will look perfect with your black and white dress :D I'd either take no bag (it's a cruise ship, you don't need one ;)) or look for one in the same colour. You could even just go for a plain black clutch to keep the b&w going, making the shoes your only pop of colour, therefore really standing out :D:D

Robin, I love the shoes - they'll look great with your dress. I watch WNTW all the time and yes women really dress like that! My niece's friend was chosen to be on the show - it will air in a few weeks. Some women either don't have a clue or just don't care about how they dress.

Archived