Flights to Barbados

fairyjay

We are travelling to Barbados to join Oceana in December. I'm a little nervous having read some dreadful flight experiences, as my mother and aunt will be with us (in their 70's and 80's). Can anyone tell me what happens when you reach Barbados please? Do you collect your luggage, or is it directed straight to the ship? Is there much hanging around - I'm conscious of the heat?

Many thanks for any help.

First the bad news, the flight is long and uncomfortable. The good news is you get off the plane, walk down the steps and get into a mini bus and drive straight to the ship. No luggage worries, you won't see your luggage until it is delivered to your stateroom. It is worth the uncomfortable flight to get onto the ship for a fantastic cruise. We did this trip and last November to board the Arcadia and we are doing it again this November. Have a good time!

How are you getting home?

We were the last flight out. Our departure from the ship was thankfully delayed until late afternoon rather than after lunch.

We eventually arrived at the airport after an impromptue tour round the island. Eventually we joined a short queue at the airport, now you see why we had the delays.

Then our bus was called forward to the disembarkation queue. The concourse was covered but open and all the checkin desks were packed. We eventually go off the bus to join a queue perhaps 100 yards long. Fortunately this was the emigration queue as we had already checked in. We proceeded through emigration and security - just two lines - very slowly.

All the while agents were going down the line pulling out people to push them through quicker as their aircraft had already boarded.

In our case, once through, we were in a not uncomfortable and air conditioned lounge.

Good luck.

We are travelling to Barbados to join Oceana in December. I'm a little nervous having read some dreadful flight experiences, as my mother and aunt will be with us (in their 70's and 80's). Can anyone tell me what happens when you reach Barbados please? Do you collect your luggage, or is it directed straight to the ship? Is there much hanging around - I'm conscious of the heat?

Hi Fairyjay,

Yes luggage is not a problem going out to your cruise, once checked in, in the UK you never see it again.................. Oh until you get to your cabin. Also you never see the inside of the airport, as has been said you are whisked off to the ship and then you go straight on.

On a more positive note about the flights, I am lead to believe that some if not all of the carriers are moving to aircraft with a wider pitch ie. 33" between seats which is fairly comfortable. Now I did not say all.

Our experience coming home was not that bad apart from the 23 hour delay:D. We were lucky in that we did not get off the ship to go to the airport and had another day on Arcadia. Luckily we did not put all our clothes into the luggage and had some things to change into.

Oh yes forgot to say we had free booze for that period. It was hell, but Hay Ho. We got the good end of the deal, some people missed a day of their cruise.

However these occurrences are rare, enjoy your cruise.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

• 2 months later...

Like everyone else has told you no problems when you arrive in Barbados-not quite so good when you leave. We have had good and bad flights a lot will depend on which plane you get. P & O charter various airlines. If it is possible I would try and book the premium seats but they have probably gone-always worth the question.

When we have flown in with P&O its been great they leave you on the plane, in the air con .... until each bus is loaded you get off the plane and onto a bus which departs and takes you to the ship, there you collect your cruise card etc and board. Once on board your bags could be waiting for you outside your cabin. If not its only a short wait for them. It depends if you were first off the plane or in the last group.

:)

Hi Fairyjay,

Oh yes forgot to say we had free booze for that period. It was hell, but Hay Ho. We got the good end of the deal, some people missed a day of their cruise.

Dai

That would have been us then ;) seriously not going to go on any more P&O charters, the ease of transfer is great, but flights are painful at best. Only other thing going for the Barbados flights, is that at least it is nowhere near as long as Acapulco, those flight were a nightmare.

But having said all that 8 hours of grief is worth 14 days in the caribbean

But having said all that 8 hours of grief is worth 14 days in the Caribbean

Can't argue with that

Its a really a matter of swings and roundabouts. We have flown schedule into the USA and have come upon a very eclectic mix of passengers. Miami tends to have a lot of children on board. Apart from the very restricted seating the P&O charter experience is very good, particularly missing the immigration hassle and the waits for transfers.

We are flying First Choice soon and expect it to be better than schedule economy.

Regards

Cb

Archived