First time cruise question with Pride.

upa

Hi there,

I apologize in advance if these questions sound too basic, but I am coordinating a somewhat large group of people(8 adult and 1 kid) and want to make sure everything goes smoothly!

The cruise we are going on is Pride in late December.

1. All of us will be arriving in LAX on the 22nd in time for the departure on the 23th. From searching at the different hotels, people seem to have good luck with Coast Line, so we will be staying there too. Is there a hotel shuttle from LAX to Coast Line, or should we just take taxi?

2. On the day of our disembark, we have scheduled the flight to leave in the late afternoon(around 4:30) from LAX, is that enough time?

3. How would we get to LAX from Long Beach? Is there plenty of shuttle service around the port area or do we need to schedule in advance?

4. Even though we have our room confirmed, the agent mentioned currently there is no way for us to specify our dinner time. I was under the impression we would know that before we get on the cruise?

5. Do they sell diapers on the Pride? :) No, not adult one, but for our little girl. :)

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I might be able to help with some of them....

Hi there,

I apologize in advance if these questions sound too basic, but I am coordinating a somewhat large group of people(8 adult and 1 kid) and want to make sure everything goes smoothly!

Have fun planning - it one of my fav parts. We were booked on this cruise until a couple of weeks ago when we moved to the 1/6/08 cruise. There is a roll call going for the 12/23, so head over there and say hi. It isn't super active, but they are sure nice!

1. All of us will be arriving in LAX on the 22nd in time for the departure on the 23th. From searching at the different hotels, people seem to have good luck with Coast Line, so we will be staying there too. Is there a hotel shuttle from LAX to Coast Line, or should we just take taxi?

We have always driven, but I usually see alot of talk about shuttles & hotels on the West Coast Boards.

2. On the day of our disembark, we have scheduled the flight to leave in the late afternoon(around 4:30) from LAX, is that enough time? Absolutely - more than enough time.

3. How would we get to LAX from Long Beach? Is there plenty of shuttle service around the port area or do we need to schedule in advance? See answer to #1

4. Even though we have our room confirmed, the agent mentioned currently there is no way for us to specify our dinner time. I was under the impression we would know that before we get on the cruise?You can request a dinner seating, but it is not guaranteed. You will find out your dining time when you check in and get your cards.

5. Do they sell diapers on the Pride? No, not adult one, but for our little girl. Sorry - can't help you on this one. But if they do, you can bet they won't be cheap. Your first port is PV... the ship will park practically in the Sam's Club/Walmar parking lot. You can take a taxi over there to stock up.

Enjoy the Pride! It is one of our favorite ships!

I also went with a group out of Long Beach. We all Hotwired our hotels, picked the 4 star and got the Westin, which is a VERY nice hotel and a 5 minute cab ride to the pier. We also booked the Super Shuttle, it's a very convienent trip to Long Beach from LAX that way. Our flight out was very late, so we took a cab to Hertz where we had a car rental, then drove all over Hollywood and LA. For a large group and limo or shuttle service would likely work to get back to LAX.

Have fun!! This is a great ship!

We also booked the Super Shuttle, it's a very convienent trip to Long Beach from LAX that way. Our flight out was very late, so we took a cab to Hertz where we had a car rental, then drove all over Hollywood and LA. For a large group and limo or shuttle service would likely work to get back to LAX.

Have fun!! This is a great ship!

Thanks for the answer!

For the Super Shuttle or the limo service, do you need to do it in advance? That is, I understand there might be a lot of shuttles waiting to pick you up in LAX, but I don't know if there will be shuttles readily available when we disembark on 12/30?

Thanks!

Your dining time will be on your sail and sign card

If it is not what you prefer on the first day they set up a time that you can see the maitre'd to try to get it changed.

I always do this first. Check our table and times. Then go get in line to change if needed.

Have a great cruise...the Pride is a very beautiful ship! Been on her twice.

Would do her again if she came back to the Carribbean.

We are going on the Pride in OCt. There are only three of us but our flight will leave LAX (return) at 12:35--the only one we could get that would get us home that day so we booked an exclusive van from Super Shuttle. The only thing that means is the van is only for us no stopping to let people on and off before the airport. They stated this would hold 9 passengers and all their luggage. It was easy to schedule on-line at the super shuttle site. It only cost 80.00 so that should be cheaper than taking a shuttle with individual pricing for you.

We are renting a car the day we come in as it is cheaper than the shuttle and we can do some sight seeing.

Good luck.

Hi there,

4. Even though we have our room confirmed, the agent mentioned currently there is no way for us to specify our dinner time. I was under the impression we would know that before we get on the cruise?

First...don't feel you need to apologize for poss. asking a basic question. The purpose of the boards is for people to be able to ask what they don't know & hopefully have someone help them out. So if you don't know...GO FOR IT!!

With #4, I was wondering if you meant that is there a way of knowing definately what time your dinner is or did the agent say there is no way for you to say what dinner time you want. You most certainly can specifiy what seating you want & be sure to do that. That's not to say they will guarantee you'll get it. If you dont, then follow the advise of going to the dining room & trying to adjust the time.

One other thing is be sure your agent has all your rooms cross referenced and tell the agent you all MUST be at the same table (if that is what you want...again, won't guarantee it but don't assume they'll automatically do that).

Have a great cruise...I'm sure you'll be booking more after this one!

so we booked an exclusive van from Super Shuttle. The only thing that means is the van is only for us no stopping to let people on and off before the airport. They stated this would hold 9 passengers and all their luggage. It was easy to schedule on-line at the super shuttle site.
How did you know what time to book your shuttle? I mean, getting off the ship is hit & miss with clearing customs and finding your bags. Did you give them a window? We would love to do this, so I'm just curious how I should handle this.

Thanks! :)

I ditto the exculsive Super Shuttle idea.

Bring your own diapers. They do sell them on board, but they run out of stuff. On one cruise, I had an unexpected visit from my Aunt Flo, and they were out of the needed items. I would never risk not having diapers...

The Pride is a beautiful ship - my favorite so far!

How did you know what time to book your shuttle? I mean, getting off the ship is hit & miss with clearing customs and finding your bags. Did you give them a window? We would love to do this, so I'm just curious how I should handle this.

Thanks! :)

Yeap, this is my question as well. Do they just wait there until you get off?

I ditto the exculsive Super Shuttle idea.

Bring your own diapers. They do sell them on board, but they run out of stuff. On one cruise, I had an unexpected visit from my Aunt Flo, and they were out of the needed items. I would never risk not having diapers...

The Pride is a beautiful ship - my favorite so far!

did you now your aunt was booked on the cruise? is she old, does she require diapers? that sucks if she just showed up like that, she must be a lonely old woman...

I would pack enough diapers for the trip if luggage room allows. As a previous poster said, Wal-Mart is literally right across the street. We walked there. You could bring enough to get you through the first days at sea and then purchase them in Puerto Vallarta. There is also a Wal-Mart in Mazatlan. Not sure where it is in relation to the where the ship ports.

Candi

did you now your aunt was booked on the cruise? is she old, does she require diapers? that sucks if she just showed up like that, she must be a lonely old woman...

Unfortunately, almost every woman has a visit from Aunt Flo. It's just the timing we have to deal with...

I live 45 minutes from the PRIDE's Long Beach port, so have never had reason to avail myself of a transportation vendor, however, I've been on the PRIDE twice (its my favorite ship also) and have taken this particular cruise many many times and can speak for those I've met on this cruise.

The Super Shuttle is an excellent idea, especially with your group of 8. Carnival's shuttle would be more expensive for the group. Even with a worse case scenario, there will be plenty of cabs and shuttles to take your group to LAX especially with your late return time.

The "docking in PV at the Walmart parking lot" is hilariously TRUE ! ! :D Just take enough diapers for the first 2 days at sea. Then you can buy anything you need for the little one in Puerto Vallarta (probably cheaper). :rolleyes:

And, yes, go to the dining room IMMEDIATELY upon boarding to determine your seating time and to request that your entire party be seated together. Not always possible, but the dining staff will do their best to accomodate you.

And, finally, NEVER EVER apologize for asking legitimate questions that trouble a lot of "planners". There are indeed many people on this site that will help you, in spite of the now-and-then flamers. ;)

Have a great cruise. I know we'll see you again. :)

They'll have diapers at extortionate prices on board. Also, call Carnival directly to get your meal times conformed. Make sure that the bed arrangements(twins into queens) are also specified. Additionally, bring a bag on board with you so that you'll have a change of clothes for you and your child so that you can go to the pool while you wait for your luggage to make it to your room.

You will love the Pride! We are sailing on her again before she leaves Long Beach. It was our first cruise.

With 9 people, I would reserve a van with Super Shuttle in advance. The Coast hotel is wonderful. If you can afford it, get a bay view and watch your ship come in. When we did it, we were blown away, watching the Pride come in from our hotel balcony.

If you are just a couple, I would hire a town car, from the same Super Shuttle company. 3 of us did this, and it was the only way, in my thinking, to start our vacation. We felt very pampered. They have limos too, if you are so inclined.

Have a great trip on Pride. Can't wait to get back in March, to try out a Cat 11 aft wrap.

Sharon

Archived