Passports..do we need one or not?

pink daisy

I know this has been asked before because I know I have read it (though I cannot find it now!). We are now booked for Feb 28-March 3 on Ecstasy, the only stop being Cozumel. I thought the new passport laws went in to affect Jan. 1, 2008 but remember reading somewhere that they pushed that back again until summer of 08...anyone know the real story?

Here is the US Passport Website

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

This states you at least have to have an application pending to travel to Mexico. So I would say yes.

Honestly I dont know why you wouldnt want to get one. I am on my second one and I am only 37, my last one expired and I got a new one immediately. It really opens you up to travelling abroad.

I live in San Diego and go to Mexico enough to know that I feel safer having one.

Thanks for the info! Actually my husband and I do have them. But we are traveling with about 9 other couples and I had mentioned to them that they HAD to have passports so I just wanted to make sure I was not making them spend money that they did not have to spend. :)

This is a cut and paste from Carnival's website:

The U.S. Government will soon require all of our guests (including U.S. citizens) to be in possession of a valid passport when traveling on any Carnival cruise. Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain further details. This requirement may become effective as early as Summer 2008.

I knew I had read that somewhere! Thanks for the info!

I think I will stick to my story of "everyone needs a passport" just to be safe!

I certainly would stick to that story. There are many horror stories on this board as well as many others regarding waiting until the last minute to apply and then getting stuck paying huge fees for expeditors to rush them or else missing out on their vacation. Part of the background checks now include such things as debts to the government, as well as unpaid child support. So everyone wants to be clean as a whistle or no passport.

Hope you have a great time.

Archived