Does anyone know what type of tool opens balc. dividers on Mariner?

Susanita,

I would love to know how you turn out on getting them opened. When do you cruise? We will be on the Brilliance in Aft cabins with other people that we have met on our Meet and Mingle thread. Actually most of the group, so far, have aft cabins it would be nice to have them opened for our own sail away party. If you get the dividers opened maybe you can add one more thing that DUCK TAPE can be used for. :p

Colleen

We were in cabins 9530 and 9532. If want adjoing/connecting doors, don't book these cabins!

They must be working fast to fix it. The deck plan on RCCL.com does not show it connecting anymore. The two equivelant cabins on the starboard side 9230 and 9232 show connecting. I wonder if that is a misprint too.

I can see it now: you take the necessary tools to get these dividers to "open" and in the process, one falls on you and scares you almost to death...and then you sue the cruise line for negligence!

The things some people will do to "save" money are incredible.

What in the H*ll does this have with saving money? The cabins are right next to one another. All they want to do is open them up so they have one large balcony. If you have followed this groups posts you know that they like to have sail aways parties and get togethers on their cruises. Sounds like fun to me.

Well, come with us next time!! :)

Sue, one of these days I may just do that. I have been following you guys over on the groups threads and you all look like your ready to go and have fun. I have no doubt that you will.

I will keep my fingers crossed that the weather for you holds out and that no (ssshhh, I will say it real quite) hurricanes are out there during this time. Have a great cruise and let me know how you like the Mariner. I am on the Navigator in December.

Sea Island Lady,

You can buy a metric allen wrench in the states. I have one. Probably got it at Lowe's or Home Depot. The size doesn't matter of you buy the kind that has several wrenches on one tool. It works kind of like a pocket knife. There are about 10-12 different sizes and they all fold out like a knife blade.

Mark

Well I have the answer folks. I am on Mariner now and the balcony doors use a "triangle" shaped type fitting. I have never seen one like this sold in stores.

The good news is that this is the same fitting used all up and down the interior hallways that the attendents use to access the storage compartments. So when the attendent tells you they does not have a key, ask them how they open up those compartments in the hallway.

Thanks for the great info! I don't have a triangular shaped tool, so I guess we will just have to wait for the steward, a bit of cash might help the situation. ;)

Last time, we had 12 cabins in a row, and ALL of us had to go to the pursers desk together and put in writing that we wanted the dividers opened, but they did it for us! Man, that was one FUN balcony, let me tell you!

When we had the 12 dividers open, we were very aware of our surrounding fellow passengers, and were respectful of their privacy. This time, we only have three little balconies together, out of 80 cabins booked, but it will be nice to open the dividers if possible.

I hope the divider fairy grants your wish and they get opened so you can have a community setting to enjoy your cruise. I can't wait for our cruise ....... we have three aft cabins on our thread on deck 8 of the Brilliance. I would love to hear how you come out, if everyone agrees we might have three balconies at the back of the ship.

Colleen

Driftwoodgal: Sorry, but from what I've heard and seen, the aft balcony dividers either don't open or, if they do, it's only for cleaning; if you opened them they would cover the entire entry and door into the cabin--remember how long they are compared to "regular" dividers).

Also, it is always up to the captian whether dividers can be opened and remain open.

beachchick

Beachchick and Sea Island Lady,

Thanks for your posts about the aft cabins. This will be our first and I hope not our last, DH wasn't thrilled about my idea of getting this cabin. Not because of the walk, but rather the view. All on our M & M thread that have aft cabins, are new to this type of cabin. I understand what you are saying about the size of the divider now. Well shucks I will just have to bring my rope ladder;)

Colleen

Having recently returned from a cruise on the AOS, and recalling previous questions about opening up the dividers, I inspected our balcony in a Grand Suite. It could NOT be opened without the chainsaw suggestion!!!!!

Gene in Birmingham

I can understand wanting the balcony dividers opened up if you have adjacent cabins with friends or family ... we've been able to do it on a couple of HAL cruises. But I would hope that whatever tool opens the panels is not available to the public. It would be a pretty significant security lapse, in my opinion.

Happy cruising,

Susan

I just came back from Mariner in Cabin #1388! (Deck 10, Aft, Corner)

That cabin is fantastic! And, I loved the balcony. Unfortunately, I did not check out the divider that closely to see how it would open. I don't know which deck the poster is on, but if your cabin steward is anything like mine was (Joey), you won't have to wait long at all for any request made! And, just as other posters have said, any request you make is "No problem!" :)

Archived