Allocated cabins?

TQgrump

About to book our very first cruise, looks like we we will choose Oceana from Barbados for 14 nights.

We have been quoted for an outside cabin but cannot be given a choice of cabin number.

We are told the cabin will be "allocated". Is this a safe option - will we get a rubbish location? Is this a normal procedure or should I insist on knowing our cabin location before booking?

Incidentally we are told the cabin will be "LF" I can find LF listed on the deck plan list but not on the colour chart so it is impossibel to even guess where this might be.

Can anyone enlighten me on this point please?

Presume this is a late booking is it?

So this is a gurantee grade, you will be allocated at least that grade of cabin, but it is sometimes worth teh gamble as the 'upgrade fairy' might visit you and you could end up with a nicer cabin.

Bit of a lottery really, you have at least got that grade of cabin at a reasonable price, but you could end up with a better located and better graded cabin if the fairy visits you, all part of teh game really!

Personally, I like to know my cabin, purely as my wife is disabled so we need to be close to lifts etc etc.

But anyway, enjoy your cruise, and do report back! :-)

James

About to book our very first cruise, looks like we we will choose Oceana from Barbados for 14 nights.

We have been quoted for an outside cabin but cannot be given a choice of cabin number.

We are told the cabin will be "allocated". Is this a safe option - will we get a rubbish location? Is this a normal procedure or should I insist on knowing our cabin location before booking?

Incidentally we are told the cabin will be "LF" I can find LF listed on the deck plan list but not on the colour chart so it is impossibel to even guess where this might be.

Can anyone enlighten me on this point please?

Hi TQ,

For late bookings I understand that this is fairly standard practice. However I have read on other boards that if they can P&O will upgrade you to the best possible cabin. As far as I can see LF is the lowest category of outside cabin available.

If you follow this link you will find the LF cabins which are on Fdeck, the same deck as a main restaurant and the reception. LF are the forward cabins on that deck.

http://www.pocruises.com/vt/vt_load.aspx?config_id_=4&deck_id_=38&round_corners_=1

Hope that helps

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

It is true you might get a cabin upgrade but not necessarily a better cabin. Let me explain.

The 'best' LF might be in a quiet spot away from bowwave noise, elevators etc.

The next grade up, and so on, will have a range of advantages too but some will have less.

Those in the know will have picked their favourite cabins earlier, they will avoid the service door, elevator, laundrette, disco etc etc.

My SinL was over the moon on the QE2 when she was upgraded but her larger cabin had its settee and port hole separated from the bed area by the wardrobe and dressing table - the latter blocked easy access to the sitting area. Worse, the ceiling rattled and they were near the engines.

Archived