Should I do the Arcadia tansatlantic?

bandit0000

Hi,

I need some convincing, well my partner does really, I am sold.

I have my eye on the Arcadia transatlantic on 2nd Nov & would like you all to tell me how wonderful it is please.

I have done a couple of trans, so am used to the sea days, how long will it be until we hit warmer weather after leaving Southampton?

Is it really formal? I have kind of gotten used to NCL's freestyle. Do they have an anytime dining on this ship?

Also where would you say the best area on this ship would be for a balcony cabin please.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Lisa:)

It will really depend on how far south you go. The mean monthly temperature for the Azores in November was 16 deg last year. The maximum in the first two weeks was 20.

In Barbados it was 27 and 30.

The answer to your question also concerns eastings.

I would guess about one third the way across.

There will be the usual mix of formal/informal and casual and as you will see elsewhere rather more people would adhere to the formal dress code. Where the cruise programme fits they usually have formal nights on sea days. On a transatlantic it is ideal from that perspective!

There will be early and late dining in the main restaurant but also anytime buffet. Also a midnight buffet IIRC.

Our cabins were deck A starboard aft but a few forward of the lift area. Although we got 'warning' of late night events around the pool area we never heard a thing.

Avoid the 3 cabins either side of the central lift shafts. You can be overlooked. Avoid the cabins on the deck immediately above the lifeboats.

A and B are fine, C is probably OK too.

Lisa

Have you seen my photos of Arcadia yet? (all about Arcadia thread)

We have had a balcony cabin on B & C DECK and they were fine C132 was best it was still midships - just - but also near lifts for up or down to meridian or belverdere restaurant for breakfast and dinner.

We had B52 the time before rear of midships and there was a long walk through the ship every morning for breakfast. B & C are good decks, we are on C again in May 08.

Arcadia is VERY formal on formal nights with 95% of men wearing a black tux jacket and the other 5% in a suit. All the woman dress up very formally too, many in long dresses.

Sue:)

Hi,

I need some convincing, well my partner does really, I am sold.

I have my eye on the Arcadia transatlantic on 2nd Nov & would like you all to tell me how wonderful it is please.

I have done a couple of trans, so am used to the sea days, how long will it be until we hit warmer weather after leaving Southampton?

Is it really formal? I have kind of gotten used to NCL's freestyle. Do they have an anytime dining on this ship?

Also where would you say the best area on this ship would be for a balcony cabin please.

I look forward to your replies.

Kind regards,

Hi Lisa,

We did this exact cruise last year J625, pictures below.

It was wonderful long sea days, 5 x 25hour sea days. Followed by 30c in the Caribbean.

Warm weather? anything from 2 to 5 days out.

Formal. Yes it is very formal on the 4 formal nights. But all the rest ie. 10 are smart casual therefore no semi-formal nights.

No free style type dining. Also the formal dress on formal nights covers the whole ship, all night.

I would say B deck / C deck.

Take no notice about the cabins next to the lift. we had a suite on B deck next to the lift and it was great and you can lie without being overlooked and sunbathe.

Many people say the rear cabins are great because of the very large balconies and wonderful for a sail away. However I suspect these have gone by now.

I am sure you would enjoy the Arcadiia cruise experience.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Lisa

Have you seen my photos of Arcadia yet? (all about Arcadia thread)

We have had a balcony cabin on B & C DECK and they were fine C132 was best it was still midships - just - but also near lifts for up or down to meridian or belverdere restaurant for breakfast and dinner.

We had B52 the time before rear of midships and there was a long walk through the ship every morning for breakfast. B & C are good decks, we are on C again in May 08.

Arcadia is VERY formal on formal nights with 95% of men wearing a black tux jacket and the other 5% in a suit. All the woman dress up very formally too, many in long dresses.

Sue:)

Hi Sue,

Yes I have just looked at them, they are great.

Thanks for the advice, I am sure I would love it. Now I've just got to convince my other half!

I have only crossed the Atlantic on liners (Canberra & QM2). I would be chary about using a cruise ship.

Remember Derek the actual crossing takes place in tropical latitudes where the seas are not as Lumpy. the worst part would be crossing BoB and you have to be unlucky to get a bad one. We have crossed 11 times and had 1 lumpy one.

Dai

Remember Derek the actual crossing takes place in tropical latitudes where the seas are not as Lumpy. the worst part would be crossing BoB and you have to be unlucky to get a bad one. We have crossed 11 times and had 1 lumpy one.

I would tend to agree. The southern route is much more forgiving. However, for me, the real difference is the liner's ability to speed up and slice through the lumps to some extent when a cruise ship has to slow down to keep the buffetting to an acceptable level.

Go for it!

David

Then you do not have the lifeboats in your lower field of view.

On our last cruise we were on the deck above that and could only see the boats if we leaned on the balcony and looked down.

Just my choice and of course subjective.

Different ship a couple eventually traced the noise in the night to the galley plate and pan wash above their cabin. You really do need to study the plans with a magnifying glass.

Dining room placement is another issue.

On the Arcadia we were told which table to ask for. Unfortunately the Maitre d' moved our party of 6 to the next table; the table where all the waiters went to sort out the plates. On Celebrity we took pot luck and it was worse. Plate servery, somelier, maitre d' and the automatic doors to the kitchen and of course the entrance to the dining room. There were 4 tables in identical positions. Worse were the 4 tables for 2 next to us; they didn't even have the ocean view :( One couple refused point blank.

Hi

We are already booked on the Arcadia with 4 frends on the 2nd November. We usually go with Celebrity, but are very excited about this trip probably because it is with PO. Bit worried about the BoB as husband is not very good but we are armed with sea sickness pills although we usually has the injection.

I saw on another post that they only have 4 formal nights and 10 smart casual nights no semi-casual, is that right?

We have staterooms D39 - D43 hope they are OK.

We have also booked 2 Weekenders next September 2008 on the Oceana and Aurora, how do they compare to the longer cruises?

I saw on another post that they only have 4 formal nights and 10 smart casual nights no semi-casual, is that right?

The last night is usually casual except possibly the weekenders.

The weekender is a complete cruise, just shorter. You will get a full show, a good comedian and something else. We had Tom O'Connor.

After your first cruise you will become members of the Portunus Club, unlike Celebrity you don't have to apply. The basic, Ruby, level gives you a 5% discount off your onboard spend.

If you can squeeze in a 2-3 day weekender before your first big cruise then you will get that 5% this November.

Hi

We are already booked on the Arcadia with 4 friends on the 2nd November. We usually go with Celebrity, but are very excited about this trip probably because it is with PO. Bit worried about the BoB as husband is not very good but we are armed with sea sickness pills although we usually has the injection.

We have staterooms D39 - D43 hope they are OK.

We have also booked 2 Weekenders next September 2008 on the Oceana and Aurora, how do they compare to the longer cruises?

Hi Carlybaby,

You are quite correct your cruise will have 4 formal and 10 casual. What they do not have is Informal which means Jacket and Tie for the men etc. We think P&O have done away with these on Caribbean cruises to save weight on your flight luggage.

The weekenders are not quite the same, they are more frantic and the service may not be as good. On a 14 night cruise there are lots of people who will go to bed after the show and some nights can be quiet. On a weekender everyone wants to party so facilities tend to be stretched.

BTW do not worry to much about BoB. We have only one bad one out of eleven.

Dai

Archived