ys falls or dunns river

zoe girl

Jamaica - you either love or or hate it - I love it! Dunns River Falls is what I consider to be a "life experience" - That is something that is a "must do" before you die. Dunns River is actually a park with with a outdoor vendors market - you can get anything from tourist trinkets to almost any illegal drug you can imagine. The vendors are pushy almost anywhere in Jamaica - just say "NO"!

The climb start at sea level and you climb over six hundred feet over a half mile distance. The falls are slippery and its best to wear water shoes. Take a camera but not a real good one, your guide willl take pictures at several stops along the way.

Now, here's the best advice - Take a private tour instead of the ships tours it's cheaper and you won't be bothered by the locals. Whenever we are in Ocho we always book with Peat Taylor. He and his family live in Ocho and conduct all the tours themsevles, they pick you up at the pier and will give you a great tour of Ocho usually stopping at the local school and takes you to shopping at places were you don't get hassled by the locals. I highly recommend him check - out his web site http://www.peattaylor.com

Take a private tour so you can get there earlier and avoid the crowds. You can avoid the pushy vendors at the top by going down the stairs adjacent to how you came up the falls and exit through the same entrance you initially used to enter this location. One of the guides told me that I could not go that way in order to make me go through the gauntlet of pushy vendors, but yours truly replied rather loudly that only my wife can tell me what to do! He must have been married because he laughed and waived goodbye. Have a great time.;)

I only did Dunns River Falls and I would agree with the posters here to take this only on your own with a few others with a private tour guide like Peat or Trevor Hudlin, who we used. They make sure you are going to have a good time and no crowds. We did this tour a few cruises ago when I did not know any better and did it with the ship.It was crowded and not much time to stop and enjoy. We were herded like cattle up the falls and little time to really enjoy it. Then the guide wanted tips for a really lousy time! I have been reading these boards now for years and others have said that the other falls which is closer to MoBay(I think) is the better excursion. Not as commercial and not many vendors bothering you. I would go to the port info and search there. Enjoy! Next time we do that side of the caribbean we will do one of the falls again, this time with the kids to try it again, without the ship tour.

trying to decide between ys falls and dunns river. can you give me some information?

Are you actualy docking in Ocho Rios? The reason I'm asking is that if you took a map of Jamaica and looked for the point farthest from Ocho Rios it would probably be YS Falls / Black River. It would have to be at least 3 hours or more each way.

If you're docking in MoBay that will make the driving easier and YS Falls would probably be my preferred spot. Less crowded, less developed. There's also a zip line there that tales you right over the river and the falls which would be pretty spectacular.

thank you to everyone who responded to my question. we are on the liberty of the seas and will be docking in montego bay. we dock at 10:30 and leave at 6:00. most of the private tour guides (i got them here on cruise critic) that i called don't come to montego bay. marva from know jamaica would take us to the dunns river.

another question about ys falls? is it like dunns river? can you climb them? do you have a guide to help you or do you explore on your own. another option is mayfield falls.

We've only been to Jamaica twice, both on cruises and both times we climbed dunns river falls. We docked in Ocho Rios both times. the first time we didnt book anyhthing and when we got off the ship and through the little bldg there were local people (licensed/bonded) offerring tours. Check their windshields and ASK if they are licensed operators. Also we werent hassled by anyone @ the falls at all. :rolleyes: He drove us through the hills, some great picture spots, drove past a roadside shop bought a handmade coconut purse, he dropped us at the falls- we climbed he was waiting for us when "we" were finished- told him we were hungry for lunch- he took us to a restaurant w/ a great view- he waited for us- #1 question is to "Ask" how much $$$. He was about $25pp but did ask for more at the end, if we enjoyed his time. I didnt like being asked for more money,after we agreed on a price. Other than that, it was all cool.

Our second time to Ocho Rios- we booked through RCI- it was "okay". We were supposed to go to dunns first and had made plans to meet yup w/ fellow cruisemates- but rci drivers decided we were swimming with the dolphins first. We had no control over the situation and that is what we disliked. The falls were the same...we wrrent offerred any illicit drugs at the falls and it is very easy to avoid the pushy vendors.

Sounds like the other falls are closer to where you dock though.

Have a blast!! Like one poster said, "either you love jamaica or hate it" I loved it.

(oh, take one of the water-disposable cameras. The first time we went....I had a brand new 35mm I was playing with and I couldnt decide wether to lock it in the locker or take it- the guide was standing right there & offerred to hold it for me WHILE we climbed and he promised he would not get it wet...and he didnt!!! xo)

thank you to everyone who responded to my question. we are on the liberty of the seas and will be docking in montego bay. we dock at 10:30 and leave at 6:00. most of the private tour guides (i got them here on cruise critic) that i called don't come to montego bay. marva from know jamaica would take us to the dunns river.

another question about ys falls? is it like dunns river? can you climb them? do you have a guide to help you or do you explore on your own. another option is mayfield falls.

You are docking in Mo Bay, so definately do NOT go with Dunn's Falls.

Save the Dunns falls for another cruise when you are docking in Ocho Rios.

The roads in Jamaca are horrible, not like we have here. Its a long drive from MoBay to Ocho Rios where the Dunns Falls are and not a comfortable ride. This same question was asked on the Jamaca board and the response by those who docked in Mo Bay and traveled to Dunns Falls was that it wasn't worth the awful roads and long ride. Do a search on the Jamaca board for this thread for more info.

YS falls is really pretty. HOWEVER.... CAUTION! My daughter went swimming and came down sick with bird parasites. (They were in the water as part of their life cycle) Her skin was covered in rashes and drove her crazy. It was treated by a doctor on land, but was NO fun. Swim at your own risk. (And it is one NEAT swimming hole) I don't know if the others with our party had the same problem, but seems like a couple of others did not look well as we left the ship.

We went on FOS this past Feb and docked in Mo Bay and did Dunn's River Falls, booked through RCCL. If you dock in Mo Bay, I would only do it through the ship- that way if you are late, you won't get left. When we were there, there was horrible construction for some upcoming cricket world tournament, or something like that. We were late getting back, but as they say, "No problem, mon!" We went to Margaritaville afterwards, and it was great. We met the manager there, a local who was a great guy, and he ended up giving my husband and me some free things from the gift shop. IMHO, the bus ride was worth it to climb the falls.

Archived