Pearl Restaurants

Cruisechic470

You will love the Pearl! My favorite Free Specialty restaurant is Mambos. They have an amazing meal for two that is a must have. And something for everyone. La Cucina is also free but we didn't like the menu as well it is not your typical american/italian fare - no regular lasagne. We loved Cagneys! But there is a cover charge of $20 unless you go early and get a discount. It was well worth the cost and the service there is extraordianary! Best on the ship! We didn't like LeBistro's menu and heard the same from many others. Teppanyaki is fun but books early and also costs $20 each.

If you want to spend money for dinner - definately go to Cagney's!

Basically the Indigo and Summer Palace are the main free waiter service dining rooms. ABC Mon has covered Mambos, and of course there is the buffet. One of our favorite places was the Blue Lagoon, also free where you can get fired rice, or a burger and other kinds of fast foods, and it was really a great place to get a bite to eat. We absolutely loved Cagney's, eating there on two occasions, and having our butler serve in our room on another. Actually, for the first time cruising with NCL, we never ate in either of the main dining rooms, on a nine night cruise. We loved the Teppanayki the night we ate there.

The bottom line is we didn't starve, the food was good to great, and we're booked again on the Pearl in April.;)

for all of NCL, in any of the specialities..reservations are requested, even the non-surcharges one. for the main dining rooms, just show up...like at the locat restaurant...and they seat you.

just imagine you are at a local quality restaurant at home, if you try to eat at the prime, busy hours...you may have a small wait for a table. otherwise you will be fine. normally, no...only parties of 8 or more can make reservations (usually) in the 2 main dining rooms. the blue lagoon is like a local small grill...they don't take reservations...very limited menu..but fun to grab a meal or a nice snack.

We loved Teppanayki, Le Bistro (French), Gagneys and Blue Lagoon. The first three have a cover charge but well worth it for the quality of the food. Blue Lagoon is good for fast food and a variety of the menu.

Just to second the comments on Teppanyaki and Le Bistro (we didn't try Cagney's). A word of caution, though. Teppanyaki is hard to get into (fills up real fast). The best advise is to find a day where you're in port late (and most of the people are off the ship) and try for reservations that night. You just have to give up some shore time. For us, this was Juneau day during the Alaska cruise.

There will be a $10 per person per day charge added to your onboard account to cover gratuities. If you feel like leaving more of a tip you can, but it's not required.

We normally eat in the main dining rooms, and if we find a waiter we really like, we'll ask to be seated in their area when possible. At the end of the week, we'll frequently leave them an additional tip, along with our room stewards if they do a great job, but that's totally up to you. Some people have mentioned leaving a small tip for the waiters in the specialty restaurants for exceptional service, too.

La Cucina was one of my favorites. I had the tri-color salad and spaghetti carbonera. I can't remember most of the menu, but they have pizza which is really good (we ordered one and all shared it) and my husband had red snapper which he deemed delicious. They will bring out olive oil and balsamic vinegar with your bread. They also bring out antipasta. You'll need a reservation for this restaurant, but there is no charge.

I hear the escargot at Le Bistro is quite delicious. Will I be allowed to order more than one?

From my experience on NCL ships...yes you can order an additional appetizer, soup or desert. You can not order an additional entree. Le Bistro is exceptional. Be sure to try the Chocolate Fondue. It is not on the menu but it is still offered.

Enjoy your cruise. Freestyle is wonderful.

If your dining companion doesn't like escargot, you could ask if they would order one for you, and then you would have two! Of course if there is no problem ordering two for yourself, that is the way to go. I know DW has ordered an extra escargo for me in the past, because she knows I love it and she won't think about eating a snail.

Archived