Embarkation and Debarkation in a Wheelchair?

Rowan555

My parents are cruising with my dad's sisters in November, and one of his sisters is now in a wheelchair. They asked me about embarkation and debarkation procedures for people in a wheelchair - and I had no idea what to tell them. They mainly wanted to know if they will get any sort of priority debarkation, because they're a bit stressed about maneuvering through the terminal with the crowds as they handle their carry on luggage and push her in the wheelchair. It's not a big deal, really, they were just curious about what to expect.

My father in law is in a wheelchair. We didn't know what to do either when we arrived at the terminal. We went to the regular line and a Carnival rep came to us and lead us to the VIP line. We were on the ship within 15 minutes of arriving at the port.

For debarkation, we waited until mostly everyone was off the ship. This made is easier to move the wheelchair around when not many others were around. I know you can not do self assist if someone is in a wheelchair.

We've cruised many times on Carnival with my Father in Law who's in a wheelchair. Send someone into the terminal ahead of the rest of your group to find a Carnival employee to push your Aunt onto the ship. They're waiting to help. Coming off the ship we check with the Purser's desk the night before and they'll tell you where to meet a Carnival Employee to push her back off the ship. They're very wheelchair friendly. Both Stircrzy and Huxlemo gave great advice as well.

My Dad used a wheelchair for embarkation and debarkation on the Spirit in Alaska last May. We told the first employee we saw that we had reserved a wheelchair for embarkation and received a wheelchair very quickly. They pushed my Dad while we managed the luggage. They took him all the way to the Lido deck for lunch and then he walked to our cabin after lunch. We had a rented wheelchair waiting in our cabin. We could have gone to our cabin to retrieve the wheelchair if we had needed to. He can walk, just not long distances or stand for long periods of time. Carnival was very accommodating. They also pushed him during debarkation.

Stircrzy is correct. Contact special Needs at Carnival. NO WORRIES!

dd's mom

I broke my leg in March on an RCI cruise and debarkation was hell! We waited for hours in the dining room, went with our color, and got no help at all from anyone. Had to go root through our luggage and my husband had to carry all the pieces himself since my son was pushing me. Other passengers pushing us out of the way, porters ignoring us, yuck! We actually changed from self-disembark because we thought it would be easier with the wheelchair. Bad idea. We should've put the luggage on my lap and done it on our own. Anyway, we're back to Carnival on the next cruise, for that and other reasons...

We had a rented wheelchair waiting in our cabin. We could have gone to our cabin to retrieve the wheelchair if we had needed to. He can walk' date=' just not long distances or stand for long periods of time. Carnival was very accommodating. They also pushed him during debarkation.[/quote']

Could you tell me where/how you rented the wheelchair? My aunt is flying in from NY, and she is not bringing a wheelchair. My parents had hoped she'd only need one for embarkation and debarkation, but her condition has worsened and she will need one on the ship as well. We could rent one locally, but I have no way to fit it in my car along with them and their luggage when I drive them to the terminal! My mom's about to have a panic attack trying to figure out how to make this work, so any information on wheelchair rentals would be MUCH appreciated!!!

When you contact Special Needs, they will send you a form to fill out concerning mobility, companies that rent wheelchairs to cruise ship passengers, etc.

My Mom was having some serious mobility problems in March due to some pulmonary embolisms and a broken ankle in January...she was determined to have her annual cruise though. Special needs took good care of her.

We did not need to rent a chair, as we were able to borrow one from the Veteran's of Foreign Wars unit in our hometown.

Good luck!

Hello DD's Mom and Rowan555

Last May, DH and I traveled with my parents ages 92 and 83, they are not confined to a wheel chair, they just can't walk long distances. We had a used wheel Chair that soon lost a screw to the wheel as we were boarding the ship. however...un beknowst to us there are porters to assist with Ship wheel chairs during embarkation and debarkation...here's the kicker that Carnival didn't tell me about when I e-mailed guest services. Once aboard the ship, I saw many wheel chairs near the Pursers desk, so I inquired about them. For a nominal $50.00 dep for a 5 day cruise you can have unlimited use of a manual wheel chair!!!! Holy Somoly. The night before debarkation you turn in the chair and get your money back as long as you return it in the same condition in which received. What a vacation saving trip that made. So have no worries and do have a wonderful time.

DH and I are leaving for an 8 day E. Carrb on the Liberty Sept 15 ...ooooohhhhhhweeee! Can't hardly wait. :D

My father in law is in a wheelchair. We didn't know what to do either when we arrived at the terminal. We went to the regular line and a Carnival rep came to us and lead us to the VIP line. We were on the ship within 15 minutes of arriving at the port.

For debarkation, we waited until mostly everyone was off the ship. This made is easier to move the wheelchair around when not many others were around. I know you can not do self assist if someone is in a wheelchair.

This is pretty much the general rule (always exceptions), but primarily for safety reasons: wheelchairs: 1st on---last off The Special Needs dept. does a good job.

This is pretty much the general rule (always exceptions), but primarily for safety reasons: wheelchairs: 1st on---last off The Special Needs dept. does a good job.

Thanks - that totally makes sense. My parents were mainly concerned with being in the midst of the crowds while getting off the ship - so I'll tell them to just plan on being the last off, and while my dad HATES to wait, he'll just have to bring a book or something ;)

I feel SO stupid. My parents had briefly mentioned my aunt possibly needing a wheelchair for the cruise, but it didn't really register with me until this evening when my mom said she'd be needing it for sure. I was JUST on the Fantasy and could have inquired about possibly renting/borrowing a chair for the week on board. While it might not be a possibility, it would have been worth asking about. Of course they can just rent one from the outside agency, but my aunt is a nun and funds are rather limited as it is. I wish I had thought about it while on the ship. I'm sure it will all work out, though, and I appreciate all the information. I've forwarded everything to my mom.

Archived