Ship Time vs Local Time

MitchNY

I will be traveling on the Freedom in Feb to the western Caribbean. I was trying to book a scuba excursion in Cozumel that leaves at 8:00am local time. When I check my itinerary on-line it says the ship docks at 8:00am. Is this local or ship time? I called Carnival rep and they told me that 8:00am was ship time which was the same as local. I was by a local dive shop that ship docks at 7:00am local time. I am confused, can any one explain ship vs local time.

Mitch

Some places do not observe daylight savings time, which would put the island an hour behind east coast time. For example, Jamaica does not observe DST. In NJ it's 12:46, in Jamaica it's 11:46. You can do a google search and see what comes up. Cozumel may also be in a different time zone, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Ship time is always based on where you depart from. If you leave from the east coast you're on east coast time. Hope that helps!!

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I searched the Freedom in Cozumel on http://www.cruisecal.com Two entries were returned:

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Freedom Cozumel, Mexico 2-4-2008 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM

Carnival Cruise Lines

Carnival Freedom Cozumel, Mexico 2-18-2008 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM

CruiseCal uses local time.

The best people to ask about this is the dive operator. The vendors usually know more about the individual ships arrival and departure time than anyone, their livelihood depends on it.

Archived