Who's been to Prog?

Brute Bandit

Who's been to Progresso and what should I plan on doing with my family? We've been waiting patiently on the port change and ta da it came last week. Now, what should we do? I've got 2 teenage boys 14 & 15, me and my hubby. We're not so much into shopping and I've heard the beaches really aren't much there so what do you suggest?

Thanks for all the help you CCers are gonna send me.

Check the Ports of Call Board for Progreso/Merida and http://www.yucatantoday.com. There are many options for your day in the Yucatan. It is in no way like Cancun or Cozumel. It's the real Mexico.

There are lots of postings of past and future cruisers. After two port calls I've now been back for three extended land vacations.

Consider going to Captain Scala's sponsored Children's home outside Merida~~nearby Progresso. Your children would think this cool and fun~~the Captain and his Crew/Staff bring the 50 kids aboard the Esctasy from time to time for swimming and hamburger parties.

Such a worthy cause~~~

Congratulations and Kudos to all involved in making the lives of these orphans much easier and happier!

Happy Sailing

MB

I think that when yoy go to Progresso you get a chance to visit in one of the tours Chichen Itza one of the new seven wonders of the world.I have seen pictures and it is breathtaking I wouldnt miss it. Check it out.

I second, third and fourth that!! Worth the day trip and what an opportunity! It was the highlight of our trip in 06. It will take pretty much all day..just fyi.

Brute

We had a wonderful day in Progress thanks to Hdawson. He was a wealth of info. We hired a taxi, went to Merida then on to Dzibilchatlun, which are Mayan Ruins, where we went swimming in the cenote ( a fresh water spring). After doing all that we went to lunch (a late lunch) at the beach in Progresso. The taxi driver stayed with us all day and was resonably priced. There were 4 adults and 4 kids. My boys loved swimming in the cenote. It was cool and refreshing. It was a very humid day.

Archived