TA or Direct?

bella1979

Bella, a cautious TA here but why are you convinced?

In my case I have found a TA that offers a better deal than direct. My caution because my previous TA was dumped by my Cruise Company and they took over cruise administration and came through with all the TAs promises.

I would ask a supplementary question.

a regular local TA, a favourite internet TA or any TA that seems to offer a bargain on a given cruise?

Hi Bella,

You didn't mention your reason for such a strong bias toward direct booking. I think that experience is a very important factor in which way you decide to book your cruise. For a person that is booking his first few cruises it is very important that he get a good knowledgeable TA, so that he can learn what choices he has available when booking a cruise. Booking direct with the cruise line means you have made a major decision without getting the, hopefully, unbiased advice from a cruise professional.

After you have a number of cruises under your belt, and know what is available in the market, and what your personal preferences are, you may not need some one to hold your hand or advise you. Some folks still feel more comfortable with a TA working on thier air, hotel, ground transport and insurance needs and maybe even offering a bottle of wine or two as a gift.

There are valid arguements both for direct and TA booking, but it is an individuals preferences that are the factor that drives the decission.

petert

One of the best sayings I have ever come across applies to this particular topic. "The average American knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." This is so true. I guess this also goes along with the old saw that says, "You get what you pay for."

I should also say that I don't understand people who worry about small differences between the cost of using a TA and booking with X when they always choose X as their line. If you want cheap, choose RCL or Carnival or NCL. Obviously that is not the case. You want X.

That said, I would not trade what my TA does for me for the $100 or so difference in price between the price I might pay for the cruise I buy from her than the one I could get on X's website.

For instance, when we decided we wanted to cruise in Australia in early 2009, I e-mailed my TA and told her when we wanted to go and that we wanted an aft cabin on an M-class ship and sure enough, the day they went on sail, we had an aft cabin on Millie within a week of when we wanted it.

If our plane schedules get screwed up, I can call her and she will find me another flight. And if it happens in the middle of the night, I have her home number. I can wake her up and she will jump on a computer for me.

Have I been using her for years? Yes. Do I consider her a friend? Yes. Do I see her on a regular basis? No, I haven't seen her in person for more than 10 years. She lives more than 100 miles from me and I would do business with her no matter who I might meet across the street from me.

I fully realize that you may not have a TA like Norma Jean but you can find one. You just have to look, find them and once you do STICK WITH THEM. Be loyal to them and they will be loyal to you.

So, remember what I said to start this, "The average American knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" and don't be average.

DrKoob says it all. I like to do my own research for any trip we make - but I leave it to our TA to make the final arrangements. She knows how and when to talk to agencies to get us the best deal and will be informed of any changes a lot quicker than I would as an individual.

One of the best sayings I have ever come across applies to this particular topic. "The average American knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." This is so true. I guess this also goes along with the old saw that says, "You get what you pay for."

I should also say that I don't understand people who worry about small differences between the cost of using a TA and booking with X when they always choose X as their line. If you want cheap, choose RCL or Carnival or NCL. Obviously that is not the case. You want X.

That said, I would not trade what my TA does for me for the $100 or so difference in price between the price I might pay for the cruise I buy from her than the one I could get on X's website.

For instance, when we decided we wanted to cruise in Australia in early 2009, I e-mailed my TA and told her when we wanted to go and that we wanted an aft cabin on an M-class ship and sure enough, the day they went on sail, we had an aft cabin on Millie within a week of when we wanted it.

If our plane schedules get screwed up, I can call her and she will find me another flight. And if it happens in the middle of the night, I have her home number. I can wake her up and she will jump on a computer for me.

Have I been using her for years? Yes. Do I consider her a friend? Yes. Do I see her on a regular basis? No, I haven't seen her in person for more than 10 years. She lives more than 100 miles from me and I would do business with her no matter who I might meet across the street from me.

I fully realize that you may not have a TA like Norma Jean but you can find one. You just have to look, find them and once you do STICK WITH THEM. Be loyal to them and they will be loyal to you.

So, remember what I said to start this, "The average American knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" and don't be average.

I thought Celebrity's prices are fixed? Do you mean she gets you a lower price via OBC?

I just did cruise compete for our July 2008 Century cruise, after reading about it on here. All of the TA quotes were the same, and also the same as what we have been quoted directly. But the TAs offered free trip insurance or $650/cabin OBC, which you don't get booking direct. Presumably, they are sharing some of their commission.

We are new to cruising, and I am mostly the "online research" arm of the family group (the others have more real life travel experience), but this would seem like a reason that using a TA would actually cost less. Am I missing something?

I find we do much better with both price and finding precisely what we want by booking air, cruise and hotels ourselves. But I'm one of those people who enjoy lots and lots of research and comparisons.

For the best odds, I find an itinerary we like and begin stalking a half-dozen major travel and cruise sites daily. When I see a deal that makes what we're looking for a good value, we swoop in and take it. Then we wait for an airfare sale and book that...aiming always for a direct flight. Finally, for our one-night pre-cruise stay, we rely almost exclusively on priceline...with advice from fellow travelers on biddingfortravel.com

Each site we use, like a traditional travel agent, offers help if/when problems arise.

We do our other travel ourselves, too. But I can't imagine such planning pre-internet. To be able to look at a villa in Italy or a hotel in China...and then discuss the pros and cons with past travelers around the world...oh my! I take it for granted now, but shouldn't.

Each site we use, like a traditional travel agent, offers help if/when problems arise.

So let me understand this. When your flight out of Heathrow is cancelled and the airline blows you off, you can call your online travel agent and they will immediately find you another flight? I want to know what website that is.

We do a ton of online research ourselves. We book short flights on our own as well but we would never book a cruise direct. We have read too many reports on these boards about cruisers who had their cabins changed, their seating screwed up and their special requests to X ignored to book direct without someone to be our champion. Sure, I can get online or make a call but I own my own business and my time is way to valuable to do that.

What do you think is better? Booking through a TA or directly through Celebrity? I think I just learned it is WWWAAAAYYYY better to go through a TA. :o

While some may have different opinions on the matter, here are some FACTS as posted before:

1) Any fare offered by an RCCL/X agent, including any perks, a travel agent will at least offer you that.

2) It is true that travel agents cannot discount normal fares as you would see them on RCCL/X's web site BUT:

a) A travel agent has access to group fares and/or perks on a number of sailing dates, even if you are not part of the group. Those fares CANNOT be offered by RCCL/X agents and do not violate the "no discount" rule.

b) A travel agent has access to fares from RCCL/X for some sailings that are only available to travel agents and that are not group fares. RCCL agents CANNOT offer those fares. These are lower fares but not considered a discount.

c) Depending on category booked, an agent might provide a gift ranging from something like a bottle of wine to shipboard credit. An RCCL/X agent cannot do this unless it is part of a RCCL/X package deal. If there is a RCCL/X package the travel agent will offer you that PLUS possibly the additional gift.

3) In case of problems, remember the RCCL/X agent works for the cruise line. The travel agent works for YOU.

4) Any booking made on board can be transferred to the travel agent and you keep the shipboard credit you received.

5) A good travel agent is MORE THAN a reservation clerk and can and will do more to maximize your cruising experience.

6) The travel agent can alert you to "Happy Hour" deals many days before the actual date, as they receive early notification. The RCCL/X agent generally does not know the "Happy Hour" deals before they are posted to them on Tuesday.

7) A travel agent can book "Happy Hour" deals before the RCCL/X phones open on Tuesday.

8) Many travel agents can and do notify you and act on price reductions.

By the way, Disney and Regent are "no discount" also.

If you book direct with cruise lines that do not forbid discounting you forgo the discount that a TA can provide.

So let me understand this. When your flight out of Heathrow is cancelled and the airline blows you off, you can call your online travel agent and they will immediately find you another flight? I want to know what website that is.

Even an online TA has a real world entity.

You book through them you have a contract with them - no different to a high street TA.

Let's suppose you book door-to-door with the company and there is a delay en route then the company will put it right.

If you book the same deal, but through a TA, then the company, in the first instance, will put it right but you can then fall back on the TA for delay compensation or whatever. Naturally both will try and shaft your travel insurer but they should certainly pick up any gaps.

Finally say you let the TA make best travel arrangements and they go pear shaped. Then you would get them to sort it out. Online or high street, you might now be in a different company but it will still fall to their local agent to fix it for you.

Great thread....I agree with those in favor of using a TA...a good TA will give you perks and personal attention that you won't get when booking direct. I have used both and it is much more relaxing to use a TA...I have found little gifts waiting for me on board in my stateroom, OBC and one time there was a photo album in my mail at home with the photo of the ship we cruised on. All little stuff but really makes for a memorable vacation/cruise. Luckily we have never needed any assistance for mixed up travel situations...and hopefully that luck continues. Thanks, Char

We have used both. I suggest a TA when dealing with others. We took twenty to AK and an agent handled it all and have many problems with the rooms. Like kids rooms that were not near parents. Diagram showed across the hall.

I like to do it myself for myself. I give us a lot of wiggle room. Like giving Heathow six hours for a connecting flight. (barely made it!)

I really don't think that I could call a TA at midnight (10 am in Heathrow) to help with a flight delay. I know Celebrity won't even talk to you (about the booking details) if you are using a TA. Like on price drops, by the time an agent calls you back, the deal is gone!

The reason I learned a lesson is because I was on the cruise to nowhere that got canceled on July 12th on the Millie. I am having such a hard time now dealing with X's wonderful customer service and feel like I have no idea what is going on. I would love it if I had done it through a ta and could have them fight for me and arrange everything and make sure my best interests are in mind. I am soooo grateful for our free cruise and refund but there are pains too. Like losing all the pre bought stuff, flight fees, etc. (I had X insurance)

I just can't help but wonder if a ta would be able to help me out.

Anyone who thinks that booking with the cruise line direct is the way to go , should be reading the postings about cruise line customer service on the phone.

Celebrity does not given you a Personal Vacation Planner. The person I booked with left Celebrity and I was told I would get whomever answers te phone. HAL gives you a Personal Cruise Consultant (PCC) with a direct line.

The most fascinating thing about CC is that folks with 1512 posts (as above) can post information that is ABSOLUTELY WRONG and no one says boo.

So then someone who reads the ABSOLUTELY WRONG information posted, and takes it as truth calls the cruise line...

Voila! There's a whole new thread about how bad Customer Service is or how uninformed the call center agents are...

A thread to which the persons who posted the orginal ABSOLUTELY WRONG information can post, shaking their head at how the cruise line really should be doing better!

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Folks need to remember that ANY information on the internet is almost solely dependent on the source!

The most fascinating thing about CC is that folks with 1512 posts (as above) can post information that is ABSOLUTELY WRONG and no one says boo.

So then someone who reads the ABSOLUTELY WRONG information posted, and takes it as truth calls the cruise line...

Voila! There's a whole new thread about how bad Customer Service is or how uninformed the call center agents are...

A thread to which the persons who posted the orginal ABSOLUTELY WRONG information can post, shaking their head at how the cruise line really should be doing better!

It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Folks need to remember that ANY information on the internet is almost solely dependent on the source!

I'll bite, I'm new. What is wrong about that post and what do we need to know? Please educate us!

I'd be interested to know what you think is "ABSOLUTELY WRONG". I think a lot of people would like to know.

I'll be glad to respond in detail.

I find this to be a funny thread.

Those who can research usually book direct....those who need guidance will use a TA.

I usually book direct, monitor the sales/discounts etc then give it to my favorite TA prior to final pay. I may get a bottle of wine or cc but I feel that since it's my cruise I'm able to do all the monitoring and not worry that a TA has many other clients.

I search the Internet and get my own great air fares as well as hotel bookings.

I find my fellow cruise critics on the thread of the cruise we've booked have done similar research and we all save money by telling each other of various finds (ie a recent price drop for my December TA.)

It boils down to individual choice .... that's why we have different options.

To each their own.

Archived