British Airways Heathrow to Istanbul

gnu2cruisin'

Returned a couple of weeks ago from a similar experience, altho' not with O. We flew SEA-LHR & spent the night at a closeby hotel since we would have had a 7 hr. layover. We flew into Term 4 & out of Term 1 but arriving into Term. 1 for the IST flight was very easy & probably about the same delay in the security line as in SEA. Coming back however, we did IST-LHR-SEA straight through, & it wasn't anywhere as bad as expected. We were prepared for the worst. Changing from Term 1 - Term 4 was the worst part & you have to queue up for a shuttle bus in the basement & then when you arrive at Term 4, you queue up again for their security. We were there mid-day & there was a very long snakey line & about 4 lanes open. Must have been lunch time. However the whole transfer only took about 45 min - 1 hr. & we had 4 hours so it was no problem. We were on BA instead of AA & I think BA has a little tighter restriction on carry on luggage. Maybe it was because we had heard such horror stories, but we were very pleasantly surprised (it's very difficult to use "pleasant" when speaking of air travel). After you get your visa (short line) & when you're waiting for your luggage in IST, there is a nice duty free store in the area that has some very decent wines at very good prices & they take $$$ so it's a good place to hang out while waiting. Enjoy. Great food in Istanbul.........still have flashbacks to the tomatoes, wow!

Glad you didn't have a horrible experience. We, too, have heard negative things and will be preparing for the worst. We'll bring clothing in carry-on to be prepared in case our luggage goes astray. We'll have about 2 and a half hours between arrival from LAX on AA and departure (I'm guessing from another terminal) on BA. In your experience, is that sufficient?

1) stop worrying about Heathrow and BA

Our USA friends came in on AA 2 weeks ago late at night we picked them up and took them back next morning for their BA flight .........BA took care of their bags overnight and they arrived at their destination just fine

2)As for Turkish Visas ........Buy them at Istanbul airport they are cheaper that way

Presume you are going on Istanbul to Venice on 26th Sept on Nautica

We are on that too and we are flying BA as always

Visa was $20 ea in Istanbul & I suspect with a plane load of tourists, they will be there to welcome you (and take your $ or Euros or whatever) with open arms at any hour. 2 hours in LHR should be fine....it took us 45 min to 1 hr. to change terminals. Maybe you won't have to. Many times, the flights get in early so don't worry. Our TA checked for us & there are many flights on many airlines going between LHR/IST, they would get you on another one quickly. You'll be fine....use the time to anticipate what a wonderful time you're about to have...... Post your experience when you return.

1) stop worrying about Heathrow and BA

Our USA friends came in on AA 2 weeks ago late at night we picked them up and took them back next morning for their BA flight .........BA took care of their bags overnight and they arrived at their destination just fine

2)As for Turkish Visas ........Buy them at Istanbul airport they are cheaper that way

Presume you are going on Istanbul to Venice on 26th Sept on Nautica

We are on that too and we are flying BA as always

Nope, not on Istanbul to Venice---wish we were. We'll be doing Istanbul to Athens in May.

I like to do my planning and worrying ahead of time :) so that I'm relaxed and ready to enjoy the trip.:D

:eek: We're booked on American from LAX to Heathrow' date=' then British Air to Istanbul. I've heard horror stories about both Heathrow and British Air and was wondering if any of you have had positive experiences that may put my mind at ease. Thanks.[/color']

I think Heathrow is the worst major airport in the world! Last November it took 2 HOURS to go from our arrival gate (Iberia Air) to our departure gate (UAL). I have NEVER had a good experience flying to or through that airport. I much prefer FRA to make connections in Europe.

Hi Susan, We went to Istanbul with a Tauck group, stayed 3 nights at Ceylon Intercontinental, boarded Le Levant for a Black Sea cruise & then 1 more night at the IC. It was a nice, typical high rise business hotel, overpriced restaurant, etc. but gorgeous views of the Bosphorus. All of the restaurants had tomatoes, generally in a "Turkish salad." There were "roasted corn" stands on almost every corner too & did it look & smell good, but I resisted because everything you read says don't eat street food. I couldn't get enough of them. We had a very full schedule since we were on a "tour." You might want to look at the Tauck website as well as other good company's to get ideas on "typical tourist" stuff to see. You'll probably have lots of advice on what to see, where to stay, etc. since it's a huge city & there are so many wonderful restaurants & some excellent hotels. If you're in for a splurge, I'd go for the 4 Seasons. What a location (so is the Kempinski.) You'll love Istanbul! We're going back next year & I plan on drowning in tomatoes. Happy travels.

:eek: We're booked on American from LAX to Heathrow' date=' then British Air to Istanbul. I've heard horror stories about both Heathrow and British Air and was wondering if any of you have had positive experiences that may put my mind at ease. Thanks.[/color']

Hi gnu2crusin', we had the same concerns as you did. I was worried about it all summer! Last month, we flew from LAX to Heathrow on American, and had 90 minutes to make our connection to our BA flight to Stockholm. We landed at Terminal 3 and had to get to Terminal 1. We made it in plenty of time, and our luggage made it too! I think 2 1/2 hours will be enough time. I found the people at the airport to be friendly and helpful too.

We are also doing LAX-Heathrow-Istanbul next May, but are going to spend a few days in London this time.

Hey,

We are on that cruise too. I posted on the roll calls and have only had two responses. I have to change airports in London - what a challenge. If I have to take a later flight, I think I will be checking out London! I look forward to meeting other CC people.

Debbbie

IMHO the frequent remote parking of the aircraft and the bus ride to or from the terminal is a hassle, especially after or before a long flight. It also makes a tight connection even tighter. The other thing CDG is known for is losing bags.

Mrs. In Range and I spent three hours in a crowd on the curb at the terminal one evening after flying in from Rome while waiting for a hotel bus to take us to our nearby hotel. Seems the taxis were on strike (common labor problems in several European countries) and jamming all the roads around and through the airport.

On the bright side, if you have an adequate layover time and plenty of patience, you should do fine. If you are in business class, the airline lounges are quite nice. :)

We are on Air France..First Class and our son and wife are in Business Class--we have a ONE HOUR layover--phoo. I am even worried about making it. I asked for assistance. Do they do that?

Thanks for your time.

I hate hearing about the lost bags! It is Air France to Air France though--so maybe we have a chance.

Archived