Did I make a mistake?

jprice50

We are booked on the Westerdam in Dec. This will be our 1st HAL cruise and I am now becoming a bit apprehensive. I have cruised NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival, so I am not new to cruising. I have deliberately stayed away from HAL because of what I had heard about their demographics and it being the "snooze cruise". I know better than to believe all of what I hear when it comes to cruising, but I listened anyway. Now I hear that HAL does not have the "traditional" poolside band. What do they do for sailaways and sea days poolside? I will enjoy myself because I love to cruise. We are not party animals, so we are not looking for non-stop night life. PLEASE tell me what to expect and that I did not make a mistake. Thanks!

Janet

When we were on the Westerdam, there was a poolside band for sailaway from Ft Lauderdale. Also, the band played on the promenade deck for a sailaway from one of the ports (can't remember which one) but it was very nice having the band play, the waiters walking around with drinks and the very friendly atmosphere.

Not sure exactly what you mean about the "traditional" poolside band. It's true that loud music is not played all day around the pool(s) (thankfully we feel!) but often during 'lunch time' there is a band. Frequently it's the 'snoozers' who are up dancing and making requests!!!

As to sailaways, as I recall there's usually music of some kind - it may be a local band playing from shore to give the ship a send off.

From what you say, we're sure you'll enjoy yourselves. HAL is far removed from Carnival 'capers' but certainly would not call it 'a snoozers' line.

Go! Enjoy!:D

We have found HAL to be at least as lively as Celebrity. One of the things that I appreciate is that there are several music venues to enjoy in the evening in addition to the show.

We just returned from the Maasdam and there were sailaway parties at each port. The demographics were definitely not old on this cruise.

What week in December will you be cruising? If you go during Christmas week, you will meet many families. As you know - old people don't have young children.

Roberta

I have cruised on NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, Disney, and HAL. Just like you, I enjoy cruising on many different cruise lines. HAL has plenty of activities for a variety of personal interests. You'll have a great time.

Nov. 3 will be my second HAL cruise. I'm looking forward to being on a different ship and three new ports for me. HAL has excellent entertainment, service, food, and our CD on Maasdam had a great sense of humor.

Relax and enjoy your cruise!

We are booked on the Westerdam in Dec. This will be our 1st HAL cruise and I am now becoming a bit apprehensive. I have cruised NCL, RCCL, Celebrity, Princess, and Carnival, so I am not new to cruising. I have deliberately stayed away from HAL because of what I had heard about their demographics and it being the "snooze cruise". I know better than to believe all of what I hear when it comes to cruising, but I listened anyway. Now I hear that HAL does not have the "traditional" poolside band. What do they do for sailaways and sea days poolside? I will enjoy myself because I love to cruise. We are not party animals, so we are not looking for non-stop night life. PLEASE tell me what to expect and that I did not make a mistake. Thanks!

Janet

There was a band this summer at Sailaway on the Westerdam. All kinds of sailaways, one was a wine & cheese. The Dessert Extravaganza and late night band in the Med had a band. We also had a dinner barbeque one night on the aft deck with a band.

Thanks for all the quick responses. Note, I DID NOT call it the snooze cruise. I was told that. As long as I have decent food and a clean room, I am happy! That said, I really am looking forward to a new experience. Just for the record, some might consider me old (my children), but I'll never own up to it!

Do not believe everything you hear about HAL.

Their passangers are a good cross section of the population. On the Vista class ships they have everything from a sports bar, piano bar, disco, crows nest with live DJ and some theme nights every night.

Your cruise will be what you make of it.

Please go into it with an open mind and you may enjoy it....

We do not think that you have made a mistake...

Ruth & Jim

Have you looked at the roll call for your cruise? All the December sailings seem to have pretty active roll calls (except the 12/23 one, but that's still a long way away). It might reassure you to get to "know" some of your shipmates ahead of time. If it's anything like the roll call for my upcoming cruise, they'll be a great group of people, and no snooze whatsoever! :D

PS: Can't seem to edit the title - should be "Suggestion" (singular). Sorry, but I only have one to offer - hope it's helpful.

Hi,

Westerdam is a beautiful ship. When we were on her, we walked from deck to deck to look at the wonderful art work. Every where you look there was something pretty to look at. Even the ceilings were coordinate with the rest of the room. Enjoy yhe ship!

Geo

Thanks to all of you who helped ease my fears and have given me something I can REALLY look forward to.It is best to get information from those who have recent experience, although I am sure NONE of you are biased! I am on the roll call and look forward to being on the Westerdam. I'll be sure to post a review when I return. Thanks, again.

Just back from an Alaskan cruise on the Noordam. Before that, we cruised on the Westerdam in February. The band at both sailaways was the house band "the Hal Cats" plus a female vocalist. They also play during the week at the Crow's Nest and on both ships, they were very good musicians. Not to worry...you'll have a great time.

Archived