1st cruise ever - pride of aloha

Howard Culver

I'm writing on behalf of my uncle (you will reply to him if you answer this post) -

it's his first cruise ever, him and my aunt, on the Pride of aloha, on september 29th...

i used to work on the NCL Sun but that was in Alaska - so i'm of no help regarding the itinerary.

i have also spent 10 years in and out of the ship business but i've never been to hawaii so i also can't help in that.

so i've turned to you, the cruise experts!!

here are the questions:

first, the on-line itinerary says the ship departs on the 29th AND the 30th, at 6pm, what is that all about? is it just doing an overnight, and making accommodations for late arrivals?

second, these are the tours they pre-booked and i usuallly tell people, you can do everything on shore at 1/3 the price. Is this true in hawaii? I know it's true in alaska and a lot of european ports.

Maui: best of maui

Hilo: volcano and rainbow falls deluxe

Kahului, Maui: haleakala crater

Nawiliwili, Kauai: journey to waimea crater and Luau Kalamaku

third, is there a premium-priced restauarant? how do you experts like the freestyle dining?

if there's anything you think you need to advise them on that i haven't asked about, please answer!!

thanks,

leslie

• Administrators
I'm writing on behalf of my uncle (you will reply to him if you answer this post) -

it's his first cruise ever, him and my aunt, on the Pride of aloha, on september 29th...

i used to work on the NCL Sun but that was in Alaska - so i'm of no help regarding the itinerary.

i have also spent 10 years in and out of the ship business but i've never been to hawaii so i also can't help in that.

so i've turned to you, the cruise experts!!

here are the questions:

first, the on-line itinerary says the ship departs on the 29th AND the 30th, at 6pm, what is that all about? is it just doing an overnight, and making accommodations for late arrivals? This cruise "starts" on the 29th but is an overnight in Honolulu and sails on the 30th.

second, these are the tours they pre-booked and i usuallly tell people, you can do everything on shore at 1/3 the price. Is this true in hawaii? I know it's true in alaska and a lot of european ports.

Maui: best of maui

Hilo: volcano and rainbow falls deluxe

Kahului, Maui: haleakala crater

Nawiliwili, Kauai: journey to waimea crater and Luau Kalamaku

There is a ton of great information on the Hawaii Ports of Call board about shore excursions in Hawaii and resources on the islands for doing the same/similar trip either cheaper, or more inclusive, or both. The only one on that list they would have to book through the ship is Luau Kalamaku, as it's a NCL product. Renting a car is the number one advice on the Hawaii boards, by the way. If your uncle is comfortable with driving, that may be the way to go.

third, is there a premium-priced restauarant? how do you experts like the freestyle dining? Yes, NCL's Freestyle dining offers everything from buffet to main dining room to no-charge specialty restaurants to upcharge-based specialty restaurants. Opinions on Freestyle Dining as are varied as the cruisers sailing the ships. Some love it, some hate it, some are in between -- it pays to research the restaurants you want, and the best way to make reservations for them. There have been several threads here about doing this over the last couple of weeks.

if there's anything you think you need to advise them on that i haven't asked about, please answer!!

thanks,

leslie

My replies are in red, above. I hope your uncle has a great trip!

Archived