Avis in Skagway now available for 2008

viajeros

Finally! Avis has posted car rental rates (& hence opened the reservation system) for Skagway in 2008. As of this AM, rentals are still available at www.avis.com. DW & I are departing Vancouver 6/15/08 on the Holland America Volendam. Skagway port call on 6/19/08. Have now reserved a car for that day.

Ray

Ray:

Thanks for the notice! I see we will be in port the same day, except on the Coral Princess, so it will be a busy port day I am assuming.

I didn't get a great rate on this car so I'm wondering what you paid?

Anyone have discount codes? I tried all the codes in the forum and reached the same price in the end. It has an "L" by my rate, which means Leisure Rate and it said the AWD discount does not apply? Any ideas?

Thank you for making us aware of the rental availablity. I, too, reserved my car. I tried going through Costco and it said the code was not available. There is no real competition in Skagway, so they can charge whatever they want, and I guess they don't have to accept the coupons. They know we will pay whatever we have to. What other choice do we have? I have an Entertainment Coupon for a free upgrade. You take the coupon with you and if they have an upgrade available, you can use the coupon. (at least that is how I understand it..but won't know for sure until I get there next summer)

vbmom:

We seem to be right along eachother in our planning! We seem to respond to so many of the same posts.

I booked using the Costco code as well; it showed up on my reservation form when I printed it but said: Coupons are not included in the estimated total. Coupons are calculated at the rental counter.

I think I used the one for 25% off, so maybe I will take my Costco card w/ me when I check in and see what happens!

Thanks for the tip, I just booked my car for July 20. It said I could present my Entertainment coupon at the counter, it's for a free upgrade but the Costco deal sounds better. I'll make a note on the reservation to show my card. Thanks for another great tip, these boards are wonderful! :)

Thanks for the tip, I just booked my car for July 20. It said I could present my Entertainment coupon at the counter, it's for a free upgrade but the Costco deal sounds better. I'll make a note on the reservation to show my card. Thanks for another great tip, these boards are wonderful! :)

I think you will need to rebook with Costco in order to get the discount

vbmom:

We seem to be right along eachother in our planning! We seem to respond to so many of the same posts.

I booked using the Costco code as well; it showed up on my reservation form when I printed it but said: Coupons are not included in the estimated total. Coupons are calculated at the rental counter.

I think I used the one for 25% off, so maybe I will take my Costco card w/ me when I check in and see what happens!

Yes, sharp cruiser, we do seem to be planning together. There is so much to do and stay on top of, isn't there. I don't think I could have done it without this site.

Thanks for your info on Costco. The first time I tried to book, it point blank told me that the coupon code for Costco would not be accepted. Since you had better luck, I tried again and that time I was successful. I just got the same message you did. Yes, it does say you will need to show your Costco card at pick-up. Another thing to add to my packing list :)

Happy Planning!!!

Thanks for the heads up viajeros! I booked my reservation for July 31, 2008! I can't wait!

Is anyone familiar with the child restraint regulations in Alaska? I have a 7-year old and 5-year old and need to know about booster seats.

Thanks!

Michelle

Thanks for the heads up viajeros! I booked my reservation for July 31, 2008! I can't wait!

Is anyone familiar with the child restraint regulations in Alaska? I have a 7-year old and 5-year old and need to know about booster seats.

Thanks!

Michelle

Does this answer your question?

"A driver may not transport a child under the age of 16 in a motor vehicle unless the driver has provided the required safety device and properly secured each child as described in this subsection. If the child is less than four years of age, the child shall be properly secured in a child safety device meeting the standards of the United States Department of Transportation for a child safety device for infants. If the child is four but not yet 16 years of age, the child shall be properly secured in a child safety device approved for a child of that age and size by the United States Department of Transportation or in a safety belt, whichever is appropriate for the particular child."

Thanks!

Michelle

To all who said "thank you" for sharing the news about Avis car rentals in Skagway, I say "you are welcome". I've been lurking on this & the Holland America boards for a while & have learned a lot. It is good to be able to give something back.

Ray

Finally! Avis has posted car rental rates (& hence opened the reservation system) for Skagway in 2008. As of this AM, rentals are still available at www.avis.com. DW & I are departing Vancouver 6/15/08 on the Holland America Volendam. Skagway port call on 6/19/08. Have now reserved a car for that day.

Ray

Thank you. This is what I was looking for earlier.

Yesterday I booked a car for June 25. Why does the website show that SUV's are not available at that location when I have clearly read here that others have rented SUV's in Skagway? We really would prefer an SUV. What's the deal?

I don't know. From what I have read, Avis/Skagway closes down for the winter & they ship their cars elsewhere. Then they bring them back in the spring. It is Avis' decision as to how many of what kind to bring back.

Perhaps the other Skagway car rental place offers SUVs...but I'm sticking with Avis.

I don't think there will be a problem with driving a non-SUV to Emerald Lake & back. If "Yukon" reads this post, perhaps he can further enlighten us.

Ray

Just booked for May 08. However, the system would not take my Entertainment Book coupon for the free upgrade. No big deal, but the rate of $95 w/tax for an Intermediate is not so great, at least compated with other locales; then again, this is Alaska at a high-demand port.

For those that are using their Costco coupons, what rate are you getting? And what Contract ID & coupon are you using? I have tried all sorts of Contract/Corporate codes and cannot get lower than $95.

For Costco, I went through their website. You get the same prices as going through the Avis website direct. However it does say," Coupon discounts are not included in the estimated total. Coupons are calculated at the rental counter. " It is my understanding you must bring your Costco card with you to the rental office. On the Costco site, I clicked on the 25% off Avis link. The AWD code for Costco is: A108326

For Costco, I went through their website. You get the same prices as going through the Avis website direct. However it does say," Coupon discounts are not included in the estimated total. Coupons are calculated at the rental counter. " It is my understanding you must bring your Costco card with you to the rental office. On the Costco site, I clicked on the 25% off Avis link. The AWD code for Costco is: A108326
Thanks for the reply. From the Costco website:

"Rent with Avis and save up to 25% on daily, weekly and weekend rentals...

To ensure that you receive your Costco discounts mention this ID# A108326 and ask for a confirmation number."

The Costco ID is not a coupon; so any discount (as I understand it) should be reflected online. If there was a coupon, the discount would not be reflected online. Unless there is a related coupon that is not available online that you will be presenting at the counter, I think you will get the same rate as everyone else in the end.

An SUV is definitely not needed - you're burning extra fuel for nothing. And yes, Avis' Skagway vehicles get taken back to Anchorage for the winter.

Yukon,

Thank you for your response. And thank you for your wonderful guide that got us to planning this "adventure" in the first place.

Ray

Yukon,

Thank you for your response. And thank you for your wonderful guide that got us to planning this "adventure" in the first place.

Ray

Well sure, I agree. However, our group of five has turned into a group of six who will be going. We rented from Avis this past May and the largest full size car they offered in Skagway was a Camry. I guess we'll need two cars.

Archived