Avis in Skagway now available for 2008

viajeros

I was surprised, too, that Avis did not need a credit card...I booked today for our July 6th port day. Murray, we are really looking forward to that drive to Emerald Lake. We were in Skagway in July 06 and did the train, and enjoyed it tremendously, but I am really looking forward to this trip. Thanks to all the Alaska experts on CC we have picked up lots of useful information.

I've read several posts to get your rental cars early in the day. how early is early? and how long does it take to drive to emerald lake and back, assuming photo stops and maybe a lunch stop?thanks kim

You probably want to pick up your rental car from Avis around 9 AM or so. With photo stops, lunch, etc., it took us about 6 hours to drive to Emerald Lake and back to Skagway.

Take a look at Murray's Guide --

http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

• 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to rent a car to drive to Emerald Lake, but according to my travel papers the ship is only in port from 7:00 am-4:30. From what I have read on here I need 6 hours and Avis isn't open until 9:00. Am I correct? Any other ideas??

This is my second cruise and first cruise to Alaska although I have been to up there about 3 times on land.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Sharon

Kentucky

I was hoping to rent a car to drive to Emerald Lake, but according to my travel papers the ship is only in port from 7:00 am-4:30. From what I have read on here I need 6 hours and Avis isn't open until 9:00. Am I correct? Any other ideas??

This is my second cruise and first cruise to Alaska although I have been to up there about 3 times on land.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Sharon

Kentucky

Avis opens at 8 a.m. Even if you realistically get off the ship such to get the car by 9 a.m. at the latest, return to Avis at 3 p.m., and back to ship @ 3:30 p.m. (1 hour before departure @ 4:30 p.m). I am pretty sure 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. is a 6 hour window. :) Besides, @ 150 miles R/T, the drive is not going to take 6 hours; you may just have to budget your time as far as stops go. I am pretty sure this is one of the longest dockings in Skagway for most itineraries, and tons of people have pulled this drive off successfully. I would not worry. If you are still concerned, maybe opt for another excursion.

Don't worry, Sharon, you have lots of time. Most ships are in Skagway for 12-13 hours, but the drive is only 150 miles and 5 hours is about right for most people.As has been said, Avis opens at 8.

Murray

A bit off-topic, but how are the road conditions in May as far as following the Murray's Guide itinerary?

In early May you may get snow on the road but it melts away quickly. In late May conditions are normally great.

Thanks for all the info. With it being only my second cruise I wanted to make sure the timing would work because I would hate to miss the ship. Although living in Alaska wouldn't be a bad thing, but I am sure I would be missed at home if I took an extended leave of absence from my working life.

Well sure, I agree. However, our group of five has turned into a group of six who will be going. We rented from Avis this past May and the largest full size car they offered in Skagway was a Camry. I guess we'll need two cars.

Our group is six also....I did rent two cars, however one is a Chevrolet Impala or similar, supposedly seats 5 to 6, so maybe we can get away with one vehicle...3 in front and 3 in back...a little crowded, but 100.00 less. So they do have full size cars if you want to see about booking a full size. This was for May 30th.

CALBOB

MercedMike indicated on another thread that

"When we booked last year, they did not show any vans available. So we reserved two cars. But when we got there, they had a van so we switched to that."

So vans may be available. Maybe give Avis in Skagway a call once they open next May to see if they have some available.

Our group is six also....I did rent two cars, however one is a Chevrolet Impala or similar, supposedly seats 5 to 6, so maybe we can get away with one vehicle...3 in front and 3 in back...a little crowded, but 100.00 less. So they do have full size cars if you want to see about booking a full size. This was for May 30th.

CALBOB

Back in May we rented a full size-it was a Camry. Three people won't fit in the front. Actually every car we saw in their lot was either a Camry or Corolla. I didn't see any Impala's. However, someone wrote that all the cars are moved somewhere else during winter and brought back in the spring. I'm guessing they sometimes don't always get the same cars back.

this might sound dumb but is there a gas station there in Skagway to fill the car back uo before returning to avis?

There are actually two gas stations in Skagway now. A new one recently opened. I think it is on Main (might be on Alaska) and somewhere between 3rd and 5th.

John

There are actually two gas stations in Skagway now. A new one recently opened. I think it is on Main (might be on Alaska) and somewhere between 3rd and 5th.

That one closed several years ago - I checked today to make sure I hadn't missed its reopening, but it's still closed. Regular gas today was $3.80/gal.

Murray

• 2 months later...

Just booked a car on August 6, 2008 through Costco.

The price came back the same as not going through Costco as previously mentioned. For those who used the Costco site, was a discount applied when picking the car up?

Also, is there an advantage to using a dredit card to reserve the car in the event it is over-booked?

I just booked for Sept 16th with a confirmed reservation # for pick up at 8 am. Can anyone tell me if you have a confirmation # will they give your vehicle to someone else if there is a long line up? If so what is the point of a confirmation #? Also back in early Oct or Nov someone mentioned that Avis was not open in later Sept but there website says until Sept 20. should I be calling them directly to ensure I get my vehicle? thanks for your help

Cottagemama

I just booked for Sept 16th with a confirmed reservation # for pick up at 8 am. Can anyone tell me if you have a confirmation # will they give your vehicle to someone else if there is a long line up?
Possibly.

If so what is the point of a confirmation #?
To lock in your rate.

this might sound dumb but is there a gas station there in Skagway to fill the car back uo before returning to avis?

yes - - make sure to allow enough time to fill up. it took me almost 30 minutes -- there are only 2 pumps and there were several motor homes filling up (not only their tanks but several handheld reserve units as well!)

Archived