Keeping Shells?

rookie1920

I have read a couple times where people keep shells and other things they find on the beach. But other people have gotten caught when going through customs when they delcared it, and got them taken away.

One poster was even able to take a conch shell home, and those are huge!

So what are you all doing? Just putting it in the bag and not declaring? Or something else?

We would love to be able to take some little souvenirs like that.

-thanks.

I have read a couple times where people keep shells and other things they find on the beach. But other people have gotten caught when going through customs when they delcared it, and got them taken away.

One poster was even able to take a conch shell home, and those are huge!

So what are you all doing? Just putting it in the bag and not declaring? Or something else?

We would love to be able to take some little souvenirs like that.

-thanks.

I bought a very nice conch shell, right off the boat in Nassau. It was cleaned. I put it in a bag and packed it. I didn't know you couldnt take it. Why Not???

So when your bags passed through, X ray machine at customs, they didnt say anything?

If so, great, then i have nothing to worry about. I was only asking because one person grabbed shells off the beach, declared them, and got them taken away... im not sure the reason, but must be something with bringing in something organic from another country.

I know in my area you can't take live shells or shells that have creatures in them. I would think you couldn't take a living coral or starfish, either. However, a clean (no animal inside) shell on the beach would be hard to challenge or declare. (IMO) Shells travel in the ocean and wash up on beaches all over the coastal states. So, why they would have a problem with shells is beyond me. I guess you could google to see if there are any rules.

So when your bags passed through, X ray machine at customs, they didnt say anything?

If so, great, then i have nothing to worry about. I was only asking because one person grabbed shells off the beach, declared them, and got them taken away... im not sure the reason, but must be something with bringing in something organic from another country.

Well, when we were in Nassau, I asked the guy before I bought it, if we were allowed to take it through customs. He said as long as it was cleaned of the "meat" we could. So I did. I know there are some places where there ARE restrictions, etc. So please, don't take my word for it. ASK onboard.

I think Conch shells are the most seized, but any type of shell that houses a sea creature, you have to be careful with bringing back into the states, as I know there are various laws that have to be conformed to. It is illegal to import certain forms of conch from the caribbean, just know the laws first... I'm not very familiar with what you can and can't bring in, but you should be able to find out online.

If you find a live conch and put it in your luggage, prepare to never get the stench out :eek: :eek:

Yes, it must be because it was picked right off the beach, and proably had some animal living it in previously and wasnt completely cleaned out... so thats cool, as long as its cleaned out, we are ok.

Thanks everyone.

If it is a conch shell (I believe they are called queen conch), even if it is cleaned out it is illegal to import from what I understand... just know the customs/FDA laws on this before trying to do anything...

If it is a conch shell (I believe they are called queen conch), even if it is cleaned out it is illegal to import from what I understand... just know the customs/FDA laws on this before trying to do anything...

The one I bought (for $5.00) was a conch shell. kindof large. Much like the ones you can buy in a store. The guy who was selling them assured me that as long as it was cleaned of the meat, it was ok. If you think about it, it's the same kind of shell you can buy in any of the "gift" stores, so it makes sense that as long as they are cleaned it is ok. But still doesn't hure to ask. Each island may have their own laws. In Florida, it IS illegal to take some of the corals and starfish, etc. but not shells......

What ports are you going to?

Here is some info... even the shells from certain countries are illegal to bring into the country.

http://www.fws.gov/international/queen%20conch/queen%20conch.html

http://www.fws.gov/news/newsreleases/r9/913F5661-0CC8-4F8C-9BFE83B1D1F5D0A1.html

That looks like the one I got. Well, I guess since I got mine in Bahamas, it was ok. That's a good site and good to know. Thanks Lucy

You definitely need to check the rules/laws of where you are going to know if it's ok to take shells.... It's different everywhere. But there are things to remember.

I also take shells but they are usually 1/2 of a whole that is there. You also need to make sure it's a "dead" shell and doesn't have a live marine critter in there. Otherwise, you will start wondering at some point what that horrible stench is that you can't get rid of .

Also, be careful about taking "curvy" shells or shells that can house critters. Many critters hide in shells for protection from other critters so they aren't killed or eaten. If you remove their shells from the environment, then they lose their protection. And a shell that may have been used for 1 critter, that when that one is eaten or dies, is a house for another. It's cycle of life down there. So be very careful of that.

If there are vendors, I would say to buy from them. They will have cleaned out the shell and made sure there aren't any critters in there. Not that I promote it, but I do have a few shells in my home. But I don't take from the ocean environment unless it's halves that can't be used. Something to consider.

Here are a couple of photos from snorkeling..... there was a long, worm like critter in there.... Sorry the quality isn't better. I took a photo and put it back.

2480326270083698419.jpg

2278963140083698419.jpg

In addition to above....think carefully on this...We picked up some empty shells while on a cruise in Tahiti. We brought them back to our cabin, put them in a bath of iodine, soap and water....thinking it would kill any smell. Were we ever wrong. Our cabin stunk for days. Even inside 10 shopping bags. After we got them home, we had them airing out on our deck and the local raccoons tried to cart them off!

This is an interesting read. My daughter picked up off the beach in Grand Turk. They were very dry and had been for some time. No critters. she dug them out of the sand. She put them in a bag and carried them right back on the ship. No one said a word. They were not pretty like the one in the picture. I had no idea they were illegal. Grand turk was not listed in the forbidden article. Good to know though.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I bought a large conch shell right off the ship in Nassau. The guy selling them- his name is Roman. At least if he is still there. He was selling small ones and the large ones- The large ones sound like the ship horn when you blow into it. He stated that he could only sell cleaned ones. Those were the ones allowed to take back. I just packed it with my regular luggage in the walmart plastic bag he gave me.... :p

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

-tahiti

While sailing the Exumas ( private boat, not a cruise ) we would dive for conch every day once we dropped anchor. I brought back a huge shell we would blow to signafy Conch Tail Hour each evening. No problems mon .

I picked up some beautiful conch shells and brought them back to the cabin. I unwrapped them from my beach towel and low and behold they started crawling around the cabin. They were still alive! I ran outside and threw them overboard.

You should have made fritters :D

Archived