Scuba in Cozumel for newbie on cruise?

snorkelman

I have snorkeled on many previous cruises, but I have never gone diving. Since I have no training in diving, I am clueless about what I can do while on a cruise. I will be on the Carnival Liberty in 2 weeks

I see one dive package offered by Carnival that allows newbies to dive, but it is only in 20 feet of water.

Are their any reputable dive operations in Cozumel that offer newbies better dives than just 20 feet? Not that there isn’t great stuff to see at 20 feet, but quite frankly, I can dive down 20 feet with just a snorkel and a mask and see the same stuff.

Thanks in advance for any information (names of companies, prices, description of what a newbie can do). Our ship will be in port from 8-5 on Monday Oct 1.

P.S. I have seen several dive operations online advertising rates for newbies, but I have no idea whether they are reputable companies.

I am really looking forward to any advice, especially from anyone who has actually done what I intend to do in Cozumel.

You can take what is called a resort course or a discover scuba. They should let you go down about 40'. Coz has over 75 dive shops and most if not all are very reputable. You can check with Eagle Ray divers which is a good outfit. Check some of the other threads on this board and see which shop names keep popping up.

I have snorkeled on many previous cruises, but I have never gone diving. Since I have no training in diving, I am clueless about what I can do while on a cruise. I will be on the Carnival Liberty in 2 weeks

I see one dive package offered by Carnival that allows newbies to dive, but it is only in 20 feet of water.

Are their any reputable dive operations in Cozumel that offer newbies better dives than just 20 feet? Not that there isn’t great stuff to see at 20 feet, but quite frankly, I can dive down 20 feet with just a snorkel and a mask and see the same stuff.

Thanks in advance for any information (names of companies, prices, description of what a newbie can do). Our ship will be in port from 8-5 on Monday Oct 1.

P.S. I have seen several dive operations online advertising rates for newbies, but I have no idea whether they are reputable companies.

I am really looking forward to any advice, especially from anyone who has actually done what I intend to do in Cozumel.

Hi,

My dive buddies and I all started out with discover dives with "Papa Hogs" in Cozumel. Small groups and great "discover diver" training. http://www.papahogs.com e-mail them for details.

Randall

Archived