Half Moon Cay - Cabana question??

LAMCK3

Ok, I'll bite. What is a clamshell??? The reason I ask, is I can't decide if $219.00 is worth 3 hours. (which is the longest we will be able to stay at the beach with our special needs son)

Well, it looks like one-half of a clam shell stuck in the sand. It is made of material and does provide some shade, if it is turned in the correct direction. If I hadn't had the cabana I would have rented the clam shell as there would have been no way we could have stayed in the sun all day long. You very easily and quickly fry there! $219.00 is a lot of money for 3 hours! They are also very low to the ground so standing up under one is not very likely. They provide lounge chairs, which is a snug fit for two! Hope whatever you decide works out for you.

That's correct. You can only book a cabana once you're on board.

This is what I did. Once we boarded, the shore excurison desk was not opened, so I waited in line for about 45 minutes. The person in front of me also wanted a cabana for 6 people. She was told it only accommodated 4 people. She said OK & ordered the snorkel gear & drinks for 4 people & the guy behind the desk seemed to not have a problem knowing 6 would utilize it.

They were assigned #1 & I was assigned #2. You are assigned a cabana as they rent out. You cannot pick which one you want. The only time we had visitors were 2 girls that tried to take our floats that were draped on the rail & I explained to them that the floats belonged to our cabana & politely directed them to the water sports desk.

Here's what's included along with 2 large bottles of water, 8 soft drinks, snorkel gear & floats: You also get a table & 4 chairs, 2 padded lounge chairs with a misting fan & a fresh water showerhead for rinsing off.

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-102.jpg

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-101.jpg

When we did it with Holland America we booked for 4 figuring the 2 kids would be in the water most of the day which was true. There were 3 adults and 2 kids altogether.

Spent the day at the cabana with 1 appearance by the guy who is supposed to take care of everything. Turns out after he left we found out we had nothing at our cabana but a bowl of chips and some sodas.

Never saw the guy again so we gave no tip.

Got back to the ship and the pursers desk called and said that they were told we had 5 in the cabana and were charging us $40 more.

When I got home I wrote to HAL and the credited my credit card back the $40.

Bill

they rent for about 20/25 dollars I think, and include 2 lounge chairs.[/quote

The clam shells rented for $15 a day in Jan. We were on the Elation. Really nice if you plan to be in and out of the water. I thihk floaties come with the rental, :confused: Check it out on HMC excursions. Happy sailing.

HMC is really beautiful! :D Would love to be there right now!

Luv's Crusin'

The floaties do not come with the clam shell - but the charge is nominal - around $10 for them I think. Why does everyone keep saying the cabanas are only for 3 hours - I think we are scheduled for around 6 hours - and if you rent a cabana - you get priority tendering

Sorry for the misinformation. I stated that "we" could only use them for 3 hours. We have a special needs child who has autism and 3 hours is our "limit" at the beach. Others were just commenting on "our" limitation...not that you only get 3 hours.

I just commented that I did not think $219.00 was worth it for 3 hours because that is as long as we would be able to stay.

• 1 month later...
That's correct. You can only book a cabana once you're on board.

This is what I did. Once we boarded, the shore excurison desk was not opened, so I waited in line for about 45 minutes. The person in front of me also wanted a cabana for 6 people. She was told it only accommodated 4 people. She said OK & ordered the snorkel gear & drinks for 4 people & the guy behind the desk seemed to not have a problem knowing 6 would utilize it.

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-102.jpg

CarnivalTriumph-HMCStThomasSanJu-101.jpg

Great Pics

We are hoping to rent a cabana on our next Carnival cruise. How far is it to the water from your cabana? Also, from what I understand you use s/s card for drinks, so I assume tips are included each time for those, but what do you tip the cabana servers? Do you tip them a certain amount at the end of the day, or each time they come by? Thanks for any info!

We are hoping to rent a cabana on our next Carnival cruise. How far is it to the water from your cabana? Also, from what I understand you use s/s card for drinks, so I assume tips are included each time for those, but what do you tip the cabana servers? Do you tip them a certain amount at the end of the day, or each time they come by? Thanks for any info!

I tipped them nada and only saw the guy once during the course of the day. Same cabana but on HAL.

Tip according to service. I was going to tip at the end of the day but since we got no service and didn't even get what we were supposed to get in the cabana he got a big goose egg.

Bill

Archived