Caution Fellow Cruisers -- "Upgrading" on NCL

dmp203

Hello all --

It is with great disappointment that I feel I need to post this thread. I have been an NCL supporter for the past years. We have a cruise booked for the end of this month (which we booked over a year ago), and recently decided to "upgrade" (note, not "upsell" but "upgrade"). This has been such a diffuclt process with NCL that I just wanted to caution those of you out there who may be considering it. At this point, I have to say that upgrading can't possibly be worth the aggravation we've encountered.

Specifics, for any of you that are considering upgrading:

EDOCS:

We've been asking for our edocs for the past two weeks; all the while, our personal cruise consultant is telling us that other departments need to be involved (which is surely understandable, but after 2 1/2 weeks, and making certain they have charged our account within the first 10 minutes of our upgrade, those documents have yet to be available). What is poor is that if you "upsell" all of these changes are done by one particular department -- but if you "upgrade" it is considered a cancellation to NCL and then a new purchase, and our cruise consultant at NCL tells us that many more departments need to be involved.

SHORE EXCURSIONS:

We booked our shore excursions; then upgraded. Now we are no longer registered for the ONE shore excursion that is a "hot ticket" item. After SEVERAL phone calls with Jana Briggs at the NCL Shore Excursion desk, I've been told that there isn't anything they can do -- we can't go on the excursion, it's been sold out, and "that's the breaks."

Now, we all know shore excursions aren't "guaranteed" but I expect more when I am 1) a PLATNIUM NCL cruiser 2) have upgraded to one of the best rooms on the ship and 3) have exhibited patience in making the multitude of phone calls to get this resolved and -- 4) booked the excursions and got a confirmation a month ago and am now told that NCL will not honor it.

Thus, my advice is to NOT UPGRADE. There is too much hassle from NCL. Instead, wait it out and see if you're going to get an upsell. If not, be happy with the room you originally decided to go with.

Best luck,

Dawne

Dawne –

I guess I do not know the difference between an upgrade and an upsell. Coming from the airline business, I understand an upgrade to be a move from Economy to Business Class e.g., initiated by the airline at no charge to me. I have had an upsell offer from NCL to a higher cabin category for an additional amount. I declined because I had specifically booked our cabin.

Can you enlighten me as to what an upgrade is?

Dawne –

I guess I do not know the difference between an upgrade and an upsell. ...Can you enlighten me as to what an upgrade is?

Upgrade - you request a higher level cabin than what you already have reserved, and pay the difference.

Upsell - they offer you a higher level cabin, usually at a reduced price if you were to actually buy it

Since you upgraded to one of the best cabins, you will more than likely have concierge service. It's very possible that he/she may be able to get you the shore excursion you want once you are onboard. Of course you wouldn't know until you board.

Sorry this happened, it really shouldn't have been such an ordeal. Good luck!

My GF and I have sailed NCL twice, both times with an upsell. One time we received the upsale tickets and the other we did not which made me a little nervous since it was our first time witn NCL.. No problem either time. All of the items was transferred to our new suite to include wine, shrimp and tours. I don't think that you have to much to worry about

If you dont get what you want on the ship, there are many excursion places off the boat that can take you the same places and usually cheaper. We usually get a taxi or a van with a bunch of other people and wind up paying about $30/pp for sight seeing. You might want to try it as I have found it to be better in my opinion than a ship excursion.

If you dont get what you want on the ship, there are many excursion places off the boat that can take you the same places and usually cheaper. We usually get a taxi or a van with a bunch of other people and wind up paying about $30/pp for sight seeing. You might want to try it as I have found it to be better in my opinion than a ship excursion.

So sorry you had a bad experience with your upgrade! I upgraded a few weeks ago, and it was no problem at all. It just took a few minutes on the phone, and when I checked online a couple of hours later, my new cabin number was on there and all was well.

I have never heard of 'upgrading' a shore excursion.... I didn't know there were different levels, I have only seen the ones where everyone pays the same price...

So sorry you had a bad experience with your upgrade! I upgraded a few weeks ago, and it was no problem at all. It just took a few minutes on the phone, and when I checked online a couple of hours later, my new cabin number was on there and all was well.

I have never heard of 'upgrading' a shore excursion.... I didn't know there were different levels, I have only seen the ones where everyone pays the same price...

You are right, no "upgrading" on NCL shore excursions.

You are right, no "upgrading" on NCL shore excursions.

I don't think the OP meant that they upgraded their shore excursion, they meant that when they changed their reservation to the upgraded cabin the shore excursion did not get transferred to their new file but disappeared somewhere along the way.

Now they are on record as being booked in the new higher level cabin but no longer on record as being booked on the original excursion.

Archived