Family - Aurora?

james_19742000

As some of you may have noted on a coupel of other threads we have booked Aurora, next November, 13 night Canarys, going is me, my wife, my parents, and my 3 kids, 13, 10, 3, we have cruised Princess, RCCI and P&O as a couple and RCCI as a family, my parents have cruised annually on P&O for years, so would you say Aurora is a good choice etc, and what are peoples opinions of the childrens facilities on this ship, we are aware that it is out of season so some facilities maybe restricted hours etc but thats no major problem.

Be interested to hear from anyone else who has done similar on Aurora or any other P&O ship.

Also, before we panic anyone going on this cruise, our kids are not the type that are allowed (or would) go running up and down corridors, lifts, hog the pool etc etc, and they love the evening dining experience, especially the deserts!!! :D :D

Thanks in advance, James

James, I have not been on Aurora but have been on Oriana and Oceana (not with kids yet, doing that next month on Oriana). Without ruffling anyones feathers on the boards, there does not seem to be a great deal of response regarding children and facilities when questions asked (I have had this problem myself), whether that is because the majority on the P & O boards dont have small kids, not sure.There seem to be a good mix onboard usually. I dont think you would be disappointed... P & O ships are wonderful and have excellent service and food. I have been on Royal Caribbean with kids and also love them both although RCI have more facilities for kids such as rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc, if that winds your watch!!. I myself am not fussed either way about these things but like quality. My kids love kids clubs and I have have heard rave reviews about P & O clubs. Ventura is going to be fantastic by al accounts for kids, so worth a look. Hope this helps a bit. Hollyanna

James, I have not been on Aurora but have been on Oriana and Oceana (not with kids yet, doing that next month on Oriana). Without ruffling anyones feathers on the boards, there does not seem to be a great deal of response regarding children and facilities when questions asked (I have had this problem myself), whether that is because the majority on the P & O boards dont have small kids, not sure.There seem to be a good mix onboard usually. I dont think you would be disappointed... P & O ships are wonderful and have excellent service and food. I have been on Royal Caribbean with kids and also love them both although RCI have more facilities for kids such as rock climbing walls, ice rinks, etc, if that winds your watch!!. I myself am not fussed either way about these things but like quality. My kids love kids clubs and I have have heard rave reviews about P & O clubs. Ventura is going to be fantastic by al accounts for kids, so worth a look. Hope this helps a bit. Hollyanna

Hi,

I was on the Aurora with my nephews (9 and 11) on a 3 week cruise November 2004.

The boys loved the ship and all the activities that were provided (even though it was out of peak time), in fact the only time we had any contact with them was either the excursions or when we made them dine with us!

They have cruised only once since then, on RCCL, but they said the P&O Aurora was the best and want to go back on her.

Hi I was on Aurora when my daughter was 10 - (7nights during a school holiday) and when she was 13 - (13 nights in the baltics in June out of school time).

She had an absolute blast. I think the kid's clubs on Aurora were brilliant as they catered for a really good range of ages.

Before we went I said to my daughter that I would like it if she could at least have her evening meal with me but by the end of the holiday there was just too much to do for her in the kid's club that she eventually ended up having tea with all all friends she made. Formal nights are lovely as all the kids dress up and look really smart and then charge around in suits and long dresses.

One night the kids had a 'special 3 course' meal served to them in a private function room and the ship photographer took some lovely photos - to buy obviously, but worth it.

During the evening - as I said never saw her but the Youth Crew kept them entertained till well after midnight. Sometimes I went to have a sneaky look to see what they were up to and all the kids were having a great time.

When the cruise ended we all cried.

Have a lovely time.

Thanks for the replies, we took the kids on Legend of the Seas last year outside of the school holidays, and although quiet as there werent many kids onboard we still hardly saw them!! Although we always made sure that most nights they had there main meal with us, it was a chance for all of us to get together and have a chat etc etc etc.

Sounds like Aurora might well be a good ship for them to experience, we have already booked, so too late now to change our minds anyway, I cant wait although over 12 months away!!! :-)

If anyone else has any feedback then please do share, be great to see peoples thoughts, comments etc

Thanks, James

Hi Hollyanna,

I think that you are correct the regulars on here do not have small children and therefore have not answered your questions.

We do not have kids so anything I say has to be second hand. i have not heard any bad or even lukewarm comments about any of the kids clubs. We have sailed with Aurora 3 times and all the comments I have heard have been very positive for kids from babies to 17 year olds. Most parents rarely see their offspring who are having to good a time to bother with parents. Apart from round the swimming pool during the day as adults we hardly ever see the younger element at all. We have heard the little ones being marched to singing from venue to venue but that is it.

You may find more parents over on P&O Cruise Connections, I think for some reason more of then are on that site.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Thanks for the replies, all info etc is always helpful, obviously having taken the kids on RCCL who 'seem' to be geared up as quite a family line we are slightly nervous about taking the kids on P&O, you do hear some 'stories' about some of the passengers not tolerating the youngsters and getting fiesty towards them!

Ok will head over to cruise connections, thats on the P&O site isnt it??

Thanks, James

Some families make the mistake of taking children out of term time on P&O cruises.

Not only will there be less fellow playmates, but those who are on board will be resented by some of the more anti-diluvian types that make up a significant portion of the typical P&O passenger profile, who chooses to sail on the longer cruises AWAY from the school holidays.

Hi Hollyanna, i have read in your posts that you are doing the October weekender on Oriana! Promise i'm not stalking you!!

I would be really interested in your experience as my family are on for Oct 22nd....like you said above, the general pando cruisers on this board do not have small kids so it is very hard to get any child related info so any you can provide would be really appreciated.

lou

Hi Hollyanna, i have read in your posts that you are doing the October weekender on Oriana! Promise i'm not stalking you!!

I would be really interested in your experience as my family are on for Oct 22nd....like you said above, the general pando cruisers on this board do not have small kids so it is very hard to get any child related info so any you can provide would be really appreciated.

lou

Some of us might be just to young to have children:mad: You never thought of that did you:rolleyes:

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

Archived