Sea Sickness...any problems on POH recently?

DREAMER7

I'm prone to have seasickness only if the waves are "moderate".

Those of you have recently been to the islands...was there any "moderate" waves during your cruise? We have a mid-ship inside room.

I'm wondering if I should bring some ginger root tablets or some dramamine.

Leaving for Hawaii this Saturday morning. Only a few more days to prepare/pack.

Help!

I was not on POH but was on Pride of Aloha on 8/26-9/2/07 and I really didn't think I would get seasick but as soon as the boat moved on the 2nd night, I felt uncomfortable. I couldn't look at the water because I felt little dizzy. Even when I was in bed, I felt the movements and didn't feel good. I think the only reason I slept was because I was so tired.

Just in case I had patch from my doctor so next morning, I immediately put it on and I was fine for the rest of the cruise.

It's better to be prepared just in case.

Those of you have recently been to the islands...was there any "moderate" waves during your cruise? We have a mid-ship inside room.

Help!

Where was your cabin located on the ship?

I've cruised several times before and it normally doesn't bother me but if the swells are "moderate" then they do.

I've also taken ginger root the week before the cruise and take it all during the cruise to help with sea sickness. I didn't think I would need it with this cruise though, but maybe I'll have to get something real quick.

Let me know where your cabin was located on the ship.

Thanks.

I was on POH on Memorial Day. I could definately feel the sway of the ship but it didn't bother me. I had brought along dramamine and ginger pills and didn't use any of it. I didn't know if I would be seasick so I didn't take the chance. If you are prone to getting sick, bring a bottle to be safe. The ship doctor always has some too if you decide not to bring it along. Worse case is you could ask a bartender to put some in a drink for you.

I personally loved the sway of the ship. It rocked me to sleep:p

I was on 9th deck, room number 9304.

Where was your cabin located on the ship?

I've cruised several times before and it normally doesn't bother me but if the swells are "moderate" then they do.

I've also taken ginger root the week before the cruise and take it all during the cruise to help with sea sickness. I didn't think I would need it with this cruise though, but maybe I'll have to get something real quick.

Let me know where your cabin was located on the ship.

Thanks.

Help!

if you have ever seen a boat go across the lake you will notice that the bow of the bost will cut through the waves and "bounce" through the water. While the back of the boat (stern) will stay still due to the inertia of the entgines that keep the back of the boat "still". So if your cabin is somewere from the middleof the ship to the back you will be fine.

Don't worry about the "noise" of the engines. All of the modern ships have thier engines mounted on a vibration reduction rubber mounts so it will reduce the greatly the vibration. Now if the Captin chooses to make up time and have all of the engines on then you will fell a slight vibrations ALL OVER the ship, but it is minimal.

Yes, ginger is the best thing that you can take. It is natural and does not make you sleepy at all. You can either go to your local Sushi place and ask for a coup of Ginger and give then a buck or so, or go to you local natural food store and ask if they have any crystalized ginger that you can buy. If you feel that you have not gotten your sea legs just nibble on the nautral ginger till it goes away.

Better yet you can avoid all of that and just nurse a glass of iced Ginger-ale and take it with you through the ship and sip on it and that should tkae care of things for you.

In December, the only time we really felt the ocean was cruising from Kauai to Oahu (lots of open ocean cruise time). It wasn't bad. I get seasick only from pretty noticable movement, and my DH only gets seasick if the ocean is really rolling. We always take 1/2 to 1 meclazine (generic for Bonine and Less Drowsy Dramamine) starting the night before a cruise. Then we take it at bedtime each night. One cruise we used ginger capsules, which worked really well. On PoH, I forgot to give us our evening meclazine 2 nights--and we didn't even miss it. Of course, that's no guarantee that your ocean conditions will be light. Best to be prepared so you can address the issue as needed. To be safe, I'd take the ginger capsules as a preventive measure. It's not as if ginger has any bad side effects.

beachchick

I was on 9th deck, room number 9304.

We're on the 9th deck midship also.

I'll purchase some Ginger capsules as Beachchick suggests to have on-hand.

The last cruise we were on the Prinsendam and we were in the last stateroom on deck 5 with an oceanview room. Both of us got seasick and I missed formal night and then my husband missed the next night. I'm sure with being in midship will help alot.

Thanks everyone for your input.:)

Archived