Help! What Are We Gonna Wear?

tampabrat22

HI, me, my son (7 yr old) , cousin and nephew (10 yr old) will be going on a 6 day Carnival cruise in Oct., there will be 1 formal night and we need some help....

1) Will cocktail type dresses work for formal night or do we need to go more formal?

2)The other dinner nights in the dining room, is work casual/ church type clothing appropriate?

3) Do children attend the formal night? If not will they need a suit or equivilent for any functions on the boat?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Hey Tampabrat 22:

Welcome to the wonderful world of cruising and to the fashion boards. I haven't been on the Carnival line but I think the following answers fit the general cruising attire guidelines. Yes a very nice cocktail dress will work for formal night, especially if you have a lovely wrap, and satin, beaded or sparkly accessories. For other nights in the dining room, work casual or church clothes should certainly work. The children I've seen sailing have always dressed in the same way as their parents (suits for boys and fancy party dresses for girls) for formal nights and generally stay in these clothes after dinner, unless they are going to the Children's Center.

Hope this helps and don't forget to bookmark the Cruise Critic Fashion board because you will want to come back. LOL

HI, me, my son (7 yr old) , cousin and nephew (10 yr old) will be going on a 6 day Carnival cruise in Oct., there will be 1 formal night and we need some help....

1) Will cocktail type dresses work for formal night or do we need to go more formal?

2)The other dinner nights in the dining room, is work casual/ church type clothing appropriate?

3) Do children attend the formal night? If not will they need a suit or equivilent for any functions on the boat?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

YES, TO ALL THREE!!!

Yes, as you now know, but I don't think you have to go out & buy your children suits. If they at least have a nice jacket, great. You'll love the photos for years. :)

Otherwise put them in good pants (better than Khakis), real shoes & a dress shirt. They should be fine.

I understand you can get great kids' dress clothes at consignment shops. that may be a good low cost alternative since they grow so fast.

Once they get into the teens, stricter adherence to the dress codes will be expected.

Thanks for all the replies!!, my son does have quite a few long sleeve button up shirts with matching slacks and ties, so he's good to go!

I have heard a lot of mixed answers as to if you can/should bring your children to the formal night, so I did'nt want to bring all his dress clothes if he would'nt need them.

I am a first-time cruiser but will be with my daughter and granddaughter. My daughter is on her 3rd cruise. Granddaughter (8 years old) is definitely going to dinner with us and will wear a nice dress with her party shoes and will be just fine. After all, they are children and not expected to wear glitz.

Archived