Teppanyaki

CanadianTwosome

I wanna live somewhere where the land restruants are under $20 a per person. The places near me charge over $30 :(

That's one of the many reasons we live in New Jersey and not next door in New York! Local Italian restaurant tonight: Dinner for 3 was $35 and we all enjoyed it! Our favorite hibachi restaurant is NEVER more than $20/person--and super-kid-friendly as well! (It's BYOW, but they'll pour it for you).

Tepanyaki was my favourite restaraunt on the ship (we also did the steakhouse, italian and french). The food was amazing, and it was worth it for how fresh it is and the great show. If you happen to get one of the little coupon booklets with your booking, you can go 2 for 1 the first night. I got the lobster, squid and scallop stirfry I think... oh man, the lobster was so suculent! My husband said the filet mignon was the best he ever had. He even had the filet later at the steahouse, and the tepanyaki grill's filet still reigned supreme. You won't be disappointed.

Just off the Pearl and my family quite enjoyed our teppenyaki dinner onboard. Without getting into the vagaries of why some people do or don't do things on board as economics cannot account for human tastes and preferences (some people will not want teppenyaki at any price, some will want it at almost any price!), I will say it wasn't as good as the local teppenyaki we can get on dry land in Seattle, but still quite well done. Chefs were skilled, amiable, and put on a decent show. My only disappointment was that they didn't do the onion volcano, which is fairly standard on dry land. Makes sense from a "no open flames" on the ship point of view, but none whatsoever since they're flaming duck l'orange in Le Bistro and bananas foster in Cagney's. But I'm not a marine engineer.

For the folks who found there was too much garlic (and others who might by predisposed against it for that reason), I would urge you to tell the waitress and the chefs that at the beginning of the meal and I would bet you would have your food prepared to your liking (and level of stomach comfort). The Teppenyaki Room servers were very accommodating of all our requests, including my wife's shellfish allergy, which necessitated the preparation of her food and all the non-shellfish dishes first.

I might venture that I didn't salt my food (first cruise night) and I figured out the next day that it seemed like everything on board was prepared with just a pinch too little of salt (which seems reasonable given how many cruisers are seniors). A touch of salt opened up the flavors on nearly every other meal I had on board, so I might be overly hard on the teppenyaki even though I still enjoyed it immensely.

Archived