Which Mayan Ruin in Belize?

SingingPixie

I'm planning to be in Belize in early Jan 08 on the Enchantment of the Seas. I'd like to do a Mayan Ruin this trip, and since I'm planning to do the dolphin swim in Cozumel, Belize is the easiest time to do it. We'll be in port from 8am-5pm I think, so we should have time to do any of the common ones from that port, and I'm not particular about whether we stick w/ a ship excursion or book on our own (it's my first cruise, but I'm a planner/researcher so I'm confident in my ability to meet up, etc). Which would you recommend?

I'm planning to be in Belize in early Jan 08 on the Enchantment of the Seas. I'd like to do a Mayan Ruin this trip, and since I'm planning to do the dolphin swim in Cozumel, Belize is the easiest time to do it. We'll be in port from 8am-5pm I think, so we should have time to do any of the common ones from that port, and I'm not particular about whether we stick w/ a ship excursion or book on our own (it's my first cruise, but I'm a planner/researcher so I'm confident in my ability to meet up, etc). Which would you recommend?

As a first time cruiser, I would strongly suggest staying with cruiseline shore tours.... usually after the first time you will feel more confident on booking your own tours in advance. The costs savings vs. the stress of "Will I make it back to the ship on time" or "What if the tour operator does not show up", etc....are not enough to risk reducing the GOOD TIMES you are going to have on your 1st cruise if problems arise !

My travel agent--who is a native Belizean--has been on this tour, and recommends it above all others in her vast stock. Xunantunich is the other you might want to consider. There are supposedly sixty Mayan sites thus far identified in Belize, and nobody thinks that's all of them. Flip a coin. :rolleyes:

My travel agent--who is a native Belizean--has been on this tour, and recommends it above all others in her vast stock. Xunantunich is the other you might want to consider. There are supposedly sixty Mayan sites thus far identified in Belize, and nobody thinks that's all of them. Flip a coin. :rolleyes:

Thanks! Those are the two that were first standing out to me as well. It seems like Altun Ha is nice but not the same scope as the two you mentioned.

I'd love some more feedback, especially to folks who've done two or more of the ruins in Belize!

"Xunantunich, visually impressive and easy to reach, has a crenellated top and magnificent frieze. Lamanai centers on a pyramid dating to the time of Christ, and waits at the end of a dreamy New River jungle cruise. Altun Ha, closest to Belize City, is a well-manicured park."--Destination Belize 2006 ed.

The description goes on to describe five other sites, but I think none of those are packaged for cruise tours, as they are more difficult of access. It sounds to me a matter of whether you are a serious art historian, confidently climbing the sides of antic ruins in the mists lingering over such words as "crenellated" or "frieze"; a lover, even at the level of Tarzan or Jane; or a person with perhaps less confidence in his energy level for some reason (Clark Kent?). But that's hype for you. I certainly agree with Travel Angel that a cruise booked through the cruiseline would be a good idea; but I am somewhat prejudiced, as I have had a few things go wrong on cruiseline-booked tours, and have found the cruiseline on each occasion VERY supportive--in very promptly refunding, in waiting if necessary, in taking an interest in what is happening on the ground. It is usually true that privately-booked tours are less expensive and no more risky--but things DO happen, and they have--VERY occasionally--happened to us. We pays our money! ;)

The other thing to consider is that cruiseline-booked tour providers are very conscious of their relationship with the cruiselines as well as with you--they are aware that the relationship is continually at risk, and that the result of any failure could mean economic disaster for them if the cruiselines lose confidence in them--so they see to it that risks are minimized. There has to be a high level of trust, and there has already been a high level of vetting by the cruiselines before you have arrived on the scene. That level of concern from both parties has certainly worked to my advantage--on occasion! Even when I was feeling like this: :eek: , or this: :(

. . . you and I may be scaling the same pyramids! I will not visit until the second and third weeks of January myself, so someone else will have to answer your question intelligently. Mayan pyramids tend to be steep-sided, which is rather disconcerting; but even on Nohoch Mul at Coba in the Yucatan a rope has been strung down the Western face as an aid to survival . . . . :D

. . . you and I may be scaling the same pyramids! I will not visit until the second and third weeks of January myself, so someone else will have to answer your question intelligently. Mayan pyramids tend to be steep-sided, which is rather disconcerting; but even on Nohoch Mul at Coba in the Yucatan a rope has been strung down the Western face as an aid to survival . . . . :D

Yeah, a rope would definitely help me. I'm clumsy, so my fears of tripping and falling down a 125-ft high flight of stairs are completely reasonable!

Yeah, a rope would definitely help me. I'm clumsy, so my fears of tripping and falling down a 125-ft high flight of stairs are completely reasonable!

At Lamanai there is a rope that will help you both up and down. I will tell you that I am pretty much up for anything and it took me a while to get down. If you go to the Lamanai thread or click on the link below, I have posted two images of the temple at Lamanai. One shows me climbing down and you can see how high it is along with the rope.

I loved the experience and would do it again!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599848

I did the Altun Ha and Rio Wallace tour through Carnival. The river part was great; we saw many many animals. Then we stopped for lunch at a resteraunt along the river. Then we boarded a bus and went to Altun Ha. It is smaller than the other 2 "major ones" in Belize, but it was still just as fantastic and made for some great pictures. One perk to choosing Altun Ha over the others would be the time issue. Altun Ha is much closer than the others, so you still have time for shopping at the port.

At Lamanai there is a rope that will help you both up and down. I will tell you that I am pretty much up for anything and it took me a while to get down. If you go to the Lamanai thread or click on the link below, I have posted two images of the temple at Lamanai. One shows me climbing down and you can see how high it is along with the rope.

I loved the experience and would do it again!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=599848

Thanks, I feel better knowing that there's a rope. How socially acceptable is it to go down on my butt if I freak out? Lol.

I have a feeling that this will be one of those experiences that scares me in the moment but is totally worth it at the end!

. . . on the way down as well as the way up: it helps to remind you that there IS a solid surface only inches away--everything else looks a lot like thin air!

But wait until you get there to "chicken out"--you probably won't have to, and even if you do, you will have seen some beautiful architecture!

"I never climbed the Empire State Building, but I've been on top!" No elevators in the jungle, unfortunately. :D

Thanks, I feel better knowing that there's a rope. How socially acceptable is it to go down on my butt if I freak out? Lol.

I have a feeling that this will be one of those experiences that scares me in the moment but is totally worth it at the end!

I do not think it really is possible to go down on your butt. The steps have a very narrow tread and a much higher rise than we are used to. I had to lie down on my stomach at the top in order for me to start the decent. I hung onto the rope and felt my way down. My legs were jello when I got down.

You are right about wanting to chicken out - but try not to. I am so glad I had this experience.

I do not think it really is possible to go down on your butt. The steps have a very narrow tread and a much higher rise than we are used to. I had to lie down on my stomach at the top in order for me to start the decent. I hung onto the rope and felt my way down. My legs were jello when I got down.

You are right about wanting to chicken out - but try not to. I am so glad I had this experience.

I think I'll be ok- There's nothing that says if I start climbing I absolutely have to make it to the top, so I think I'll just take it one step at a time. It's something I've wanted to do my whole life, so I'm certainly going to do my best to be able to do it!

I just got back from Xunantunich, and I climbed to the top of the biggest pyramid there. I had no idea at the time whether I'd be able to do it or not but my sister said "I'm going to try!" so I thought I would too. Turns out, it was fairly easy. The beginning part of the climb is actually the hardest part, a bunch of stone steps in the grassy hillside, it's a long staircase but there's a metal railing to hang on to. After that, there's a grassy area surrounding that area of the pyramid where you can walk around and admire the freizes. From there, if you want to (not everyone did) you climb another more narrow set of stairs, then walk along the edge of the pyramid (clutching it with your hands!) until you reach more stairs. From here they were arranged in sets so it wasn't so intimidating - you'd take a few up at a time, turn and take a few more up. I think these were man-made but I'd have to look at my photos to be sure. Once you get up there it is a long way down!! We just went down the way we came, which was not too bad...some men ahead of us did go down sections on their butts, and believe me, in that situation, nobody was judging! I did see people coming down the front of it as we approached, and they were all coming down on their butts....that sort of descent is way too intimidating to me so I took the easy way out. Good thing there was one!! :-)

Just remembered I forgot to mention - without a doubt, go with a ship excursion if you want to see Xunantunich. There's one long road that you take, and on the way back from the ruins there had been an accident on it that held up a group of cave tubers so that they didn't get back to the ship until we did. Since we left later than they did we weren't held up in traffic like they were but we could have been, and if we hadn't been on a ship excursion I would have been very nervous!

I would highly recommend Xunantunich from Belize City. DH is not crazy about heights but he went up and down with no problem. And the view from the top, across to Guatemala, is amazing. The local Mayan people have some craft booths set up near the site, before you get on the ferry, and I recommend that you take the time to look at their original stone carvings; they are wonderful and the prices are reasonable and negotiable. Since you travel to Xunantunich across the Western Highway you go right by the zoo and some tours include a stop here. The zoo is interesting and quaint and the best way to see native Belizean wildlife. Look for the black jaguar. (And look out for the tapirs!) And if you can arrange to stop for lunch in San Ignacio there are some good spots that feature authentic local cuisine.

Enjoy Belize! We have been on land trips there many times and love the country and the people who live there.

As a first time cruiser, I would strongly suggest staying with cruiseline shore tours.

For my Carnival cruise in February 2008 I just looked at the list at their website to book Carnival shore excursions online and the only one left for Belize was something called 'Bacab Eco Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House". No ruins trips listed, which makes me assume they are sold out already since ruins trips are shown on the generic list of Belize excursions.

Based on that, my suggestion is to book early for the Belize excursions, at least for Carnival.

Oddly, all the other ports seem to have plenty of different excursions left for my cruise, but Belize only has the one.

For my Carnival cruise in February 2008 I just looked at the list at their website to book Carnival shore excursions online and the only one left for Belize was something called 'Bacab Eco Park & Wild Wings Butterfly House". No ruins trips listed, which makes me assume they are sold out already since ruins trips are shown on the generic list of Belize excursions.

Based on that, my suggestion is to book early for the Belize excursions, at least for Carnival.

Oddly, all the other ports seem to have plenty of different excursions left for my cruise, but Belize only has the one.

Or perhaps it's too early? I've been getting the idea that more excursions become available closer to sailing, based on what I've seen people writing about Roatan. We were able to book Xunantunich as soon as we got on the ship, no problem. (That being said there may not have been a lot of booking in advance because given the September sailing there wasn't a lot of confidence in whether we'd get to Belize or not.)

I just got back from my Enchantment cruise & my DH & I did "Lamanai & the New River Cruise". It was awesome! We climbed up the pyramid. I am afraid of heights & I only made it about 2/3 of the way. It is much easier to back down the pyramid than go on your butt. That way you don't actually see how high you are. It was easier to get down than I thought it would be. The "cruise" down the river is lots of fun. I also enjoyed the bus ride through the country. It is a lot of travelling, but you really get a good look at the country. On the way back, the guide lets you rest. We were exhausted!

We got to see the howler monkeys & some other wildlife. We highly recommend this excursion!

I did the RCI excursion to Lamanai. It was about 45 min.-1 hour on the bus, then a 50 minute boat ride to Lamanai. The boat ride is fun & the guides stop on the way to show you wildlife. The food was good--not spicy. My DH did need seconds, though, because the main dish (chicken) was VERY small.

Make sure to take bug spray--lots of bugs flying around.

We took bottled water, but didn't need it. The guide gave us water after the bus ride, then we got a drink (juice or water) with lunch & then we got another bottle of water before we left. So if you can wait an hour, don't bother taking it.

hpjmom,

did you book your excursion through rccl? my dh and i are going on the enchantment dec 10 and i really want to do this tour--i've already been cave tubing in belize (in springtime) and think it might be a little chilly at that time of year to subject my dh too but we are both really fascinated by wildlife and history. i prefer to book my own excursions but everything i've read has me a bit concerned about the time frame of being in port and i know how rough the roads are in belize. if you went with the ship, was the tour crowded or did you feel like it was just as good?

thanks for your help (or help that anyone else can offer!!)

Archived