Rome side trips????

I know there are tour companies that offer a full day tour from Rome to Orvieto & Assisi. They run about $125 pp. lunch included.

Is it possible to do either on your own via train from Rome or is it only worthwhile via a car or tour bus? I know the trains go there from Rome but I don't know how difficult it is to tour on foot.

Thanks

Karen

You absolutely can do Assisi on your own from Rome. There are plenty of trains from (and back to) Termini daily. The Assisi train station is at the foot of the hill, and Assisi is on top of the hill (you'll see it immediately, very lovely!). There's a bus that goes directly from the train station up into the city. Buy TWO bus tickets at the train station, so you'll already have one with you when you come back to the station.

It's SUPER easy. Assisi is actually a very small town and you can easily walk to everything. Driving there, in my opinion, would be a waste--cars are not allowed into the city walls unless they belong to Assisi residents, so you'd have to figure out where you can park and then walk inside the city anyway.

I know there are tour companies that offer a full day tour from Rome to Orvieto & Assisi. They run about $125 pp. lunch included.

Is it possible to do either on your own via train from Rome or is it only worthwhile via a car or tour bus? I know the trains go there from Rome but I don't know how difficult it is to tour on foot.

Thanks

Karen

Orvieto by train would be a snap.

It's on the main line north to Florence etc. and the station in Orvieto is right next to the funicular that takes you up to the main town. The facade of Orvieto's catherdral is the most beautiful in Italy (IMO).

You absolutely can do Assisi on your own from Rome. There are plenty of trains from (and back to) Termini daily. The Assisi train station is at the foot of the hill, and Assisi is on top of the hill (you'll see it immediately, very lovely!). There's a bus that goes directly from the train station up into the city. Buy TWO bus tickets at the train station, so you'll already have one with you when you come back to the station.

It's SUPER easy. Assisi is actually a very small town and you can easily walk to everything. Driving there, in my opinion, would be a waste--cars are not allowed into the city walls unless they belong to Assisi residents, so you'd have to figure out where you can park and then walk inside the city anyway.

Orvieto is super e-z from Termini. It's about 1 hour; for my husband and I it was 17 EU. The funicular wasn't working, but there was a bus that took u to the actual city. I think we had to pay 1 EU each or so. Catch the same bus back. It's a very quaint little town. We saw it during the day over this past summer. It was dead quiet. It looks as though it came alive at night. Lots of the shops were closed. It'd be really pretty at night.

Archived