east, west or south caribbean 7 days in March

Jeanbon

Planning small family reunion towards the end of March 08. I know it's crowded but only time available. With so many options, I'm looking for suggestions, recommendations or advise in regards to an intinerary.

Background info; 6 family members in mid 30's no kids. Coming from West coast. All departure ports on the table, Galvison, Tampa, Miami, San Juan. Due to cost probably one of the big lines, RCI, NCL, PCL or CCL. Water activities a high priority. All very active but like a little nightlife (no booze cruise, we're not 20 anymore). Off the beaten path options, smaller ports, less crowds would be nice (I realize it's easter time). Shopping not important. Food important but not paramount. Four out of six are cruise newbies, myself included.

Thanks for all your wisdom. :)

we are going on the Carnival Triumph on the 15th of March. . not sure what days you guys have open.. it is an eastern caribbean itinerary. . leaving from miami going to san juan, st thomas, half moon cay and nassau. Western and southern are also nice.. the Carnival Destiny itinerary is awesome! I took that on the Festivale back in 93' I think there are more stops on that cruise.. less at sea time.

I would try to go to ports that are towards the south if you want the warmest water. We have been on all the itineraries, and each has its high points. The Western has Sting-ray City in GC, which is a wonderful life-experience. The Eastern has great beaches, and some nice snorkeling at St. Thomas. The Southern has great snorkeling and great beaches. We have done the Southern to the east and to the west. We liked both and both have great beaches and snorkeling. Aruba and Curacao are more desert-like, and St. Lucia, and Antigua are LUSH.

If the cost to the different ports is not that much different, I would choose a Southern itinerary. The itinerary w/ Aruba and Curacao usually has more at-sea days. Those days are sooooooo relaxing.

Princess is a great line - lots of pools on the ships.

RCI is wonderful, and Celebrity, too, which is a step up from RCI.

We haven't cruised NCL.

Have fun deciding!

If you want smaller islands, less crowds, etc during March, then you really should do a Southern Caribbean cruise out of San Juan. March is high season, and Easter week is the most popular. Western and Eastern ports are packed during that time.

The southern caribbean islands usually are less visited and they have fabulous water activities - beaches, snorkeling, etc.

I would look at Princess and RCCL for a combination of a good time and night life - at least on the Southern Caribbean itineraries.

Southern Carib will be less crowded during March. But then you need to add the extra cost to fly to San Juan as opposed to US departure points.

Western Carib including Cozumel, Cayman Isl and a stop in Jamaica are typical. Very water "orientated".

I'd recommend RCCL for first timers. Best activities and entertainment to choose from for your age group.

Archived