Norfolk pier question

colemonster

I am going on the Horizon Sept 5th out of Norfolk. I have found a hotel a holiday inn in Portsmouth on the waterfront. I have been told there is a ferry right next door to this hotel that cost $1 pp and runs every 30 minutes and takes you to Waterside. I am considering staying here and parking my car at the hotel and taking the ferry over. Has anyone ever done this? Is it close enough to walk from the drop off to the pier? I am a little nervous but thought a ferry ride might be fun and different plus save some cash.

Thanks!!!

While I've never done what you suggest, I live in Norfolk (hence, the user name) and can tell you the arrangement you are looking at should work very well. The ferry is across the Elizabeth River and not a very long ride. It will dorp you at Waterside, which is between 100 and 200 yards from Nauticus along the waterfront walkway. (Nauticus is the area used for the cruise ships until a seperate facility is completed several years from now.)

I can't say anything about the security of your car at the Holiday Inn (which is RIGHT on the water and a nice facility) so you'll have to confirm if that's an issue but, otherwise, this seems like a great plan.

Happy cruising!

- Kevin

The ferry ride takes about 10 minutes at most. You land very close to the boarding site-same side of street etc. It could be a wet walk in the rain, so be prepared with slicker etc. If you have little luggage; checked out security of car in Portsmouth hotel lot;prepared for walk in wet weather, then it would be a novel and nice way to board the ship. I have been on the ferry(very small) just as an outing on a pretty day here in Norfolk.

Does the Holiday Inn have free parking? I haven't heard of this one being an option. We have reservations at the Radison for $139 which includes free parking, breakfast the day of the cruise and free shuttle service. If this option of the Holiday Inn works out for you please share your experience.

Edited for additional Info.

I called the Holiday Inn and they do not have a park & stay. If you are a registered guest for 1 night you only have parking for that night. They do not have arrangements for cruise passengers. However, if you decide to do this (entertainment rate very reasonable - $48) and you are successful leaving your car please share the experience.

Archived