What to do about Fido???

DragonJoe76

DragonJoe-

I live in Egg Harbor Township

I always leave my dog with family members. She's small and spoiled and everyone is used to her. She even has someone to stay with during the day when we go to work! I also know a man who used to stay with dogs in their own homes. However, he has Parkinson's and can no longer be alone at night. However, his wife is also a dog lover and they will watch dogs in their home. So if you get really stumped..let me know! Unfortunately, we're about an hour away from you!

Too bad it wasn´t Morris Cty. I worked at a really really nice kennel for 13 yrs. before I moved. Mine was apart of the ABKA. American Boarding Kennel Assoc. look them up online and see if they have a number of some in the area. Then go check them out for yourself. A good kennel should have nothing to hide and be willing to show you around. <otherwise neighborhood kids you can trust.

Thats how we found our kennel........look online for a ABKA kennel..

http://www.abka.com/abka/findAFacility/default.aspx PLUS was they are in runs as opposed to a little cage....not to mention onsite vet,a country setting,etc...

We have to board our dogs,now that the kids are grown and outta the house.......dont have any relatives or friends to come stay here......

Our Vet is at Petsmart,but the Petsmart here in Ocala doesnt have a kennel..(PS.I just looked at the PetsHotel they have....wow.......wish ours had one......)

I really hate to board them ,but at least,I know they are in good hands.....

Yep...this is what we do. My son's friend (also 23) that he has grown up with since 8th grade house/dog/cat sits for us. He used to work for our vet too so that is a plus. He comes over after work and stays with my yellow lab and cat even spending the night. Feeds him - takes him for walks or to the park to play. This way he can still sleep under our bed..... and be in a familiar place.

And the best part..... he charges exactly what our vet charges to board. And if he was boarded he would be in a kennel all day except for 3 walks. He would be miserable cuz he is S-P-O-I-L-E-D !!!!

Not SPOILED, just kept in the style they have become accustomed to :D

We too leave our "girls" at home and have a neighborhood boy come watch them. They get to stay home and the house gets watched. We pay him what it would cost us to board them.

Only problem is this next cruise the dog sitter is coming with us. He is also my DS friend. Now we have to find a new dog sitter.

Denise

DragonJoe-

I live in Egg Harbor Township

I always leave my dog with family members. She's small and spoiled and everyone is used to her. She even has someone to stay with during the day when we go to work! I also know a man who used to stay with dogs in their own homes. However, he has Parkinson's and can no longer be alone at night. However, his wife is also a dog lover and they will watch dogs in their home. So if you get really stumped..let me know! Unfortunately, we're about an hour away from you!

DS..

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know. An hour's drive is not too far for my dogs' safety and semi-comfort! We actually got our shepherd/chow from a shelter in EHT

We might be in touch

Our two golden retrievers go to the doggie spa/hotel. They have their own private room with a glass door, two raised beds and a TV. They are served breakfast and dinner in bed. Most of the day they are in the indoor play yard with other dogs of their size. It has a palm tree and artificial grass to do their thing. Also a doggie staircase, tubes to run through, etc. There is always someone in the play yard watching and interacting with them and their playmates. From 11:30 to 1 pm it is mandatory nap time and they go into their room. I can watch them on the web cam in their room and in the play yard.

I had to fill out paperwork, be interviewed and my dogs had to be evaluated before they would accept them. It was sort of like getting your kid into a pre school in NYC. :D

I can leave them while we cruise and know they are happy and well taken care of. :)

We have always boarded our Kitty at the Animal Hospital where I worked. He is 11 now and feel should he become ill, he has immediate care with 5 Doctors on staff. He gets playtime in the Playroom with a huge tree and toys as well as TLC. During our short trip to daughters in Dec a friend is coming over daily to care for him for 11 days. However during our 2 week trip with RV next month and Cruise Oct 08 I will board him.

Madeline there was no excuse for your having to return to you pet and she/he be in that condition. Our hospital brushes dogs daily and kennel staff reported any problems immediately so the Dr could call owner.

I certainly agree. When we asked why they allowed the conjuctivitis to get to the point where my dog couldn't see, their response was that they don't give medications, unless they came in with the dog. Insanity!

Like I said, they had 4 phone numbers to reach us and also had the name and number of the Manhattan hotel where we were. No excuse! Why did they ask for numbers they had no intention of using?

Most dog "country clubs" get their business through word of mouth. Our mouths say only nasty things about this particular place. The grounds are pastoral, the staff seemed wonderful and we even did a drop-in, not scheduled visit to tour the facility, unannounced. All was fine, until we picked up our dog.

Not that it mattered, but we did get 50% of the cost returned on the spot. We now have a new dog, as the other is gone. She'll only be staying with those who care. ;)

what type of dogs are they?

if they are akc i would call the breeder

we are part of a greyhound rescue group and many of our group grey sit.

if they are mixed breed i would try a local rescue kennel they usually have people that they recommend

A great topic, and perfect timing-we are dog/house sitting for cruising friends for three weeks starting Tuesday!:)

We got to know some folks on one of the recurring threads on these boards. A few months ago, one of them lamented that the person who normally watches her dogs moved away and they didn't know who they would get. Well, I half jokingly said we'd be glad to escape winter weather and go to the coast of Florida next February for a couple weeks and do it. Well, she took us up on the offer and we will do just that next Feb,

In the meantime, other friends on that board, who we have actually met on a cruise, half jokingly said they needed our services too while they go to Hawaii for three weeks. Well, we will be at their home for the next few weeks taking care of their beloved dog.

All those years of hard work, and we have finally found our calling;) . Works out a real win/win. We get to have a nice land vacation and their home and pets are well cared for. :)

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Luckily we have a friend that watches our dog when we go away and vice versa. We never boarded but she had two bad experiences so we are glad we can do this for one another. After this, I would suggest that you might want to start exploring who could take your dog or sit in the future.

The first cruise line that allows dogs, I'm on it. lol.

Hi Madeline, when I was working for our animal hosp, I did majority of the medication of the boarding animals who reguired it. If that hosp your pet was at chose not to medicate, they could have at least kept the eyes clean. That is unbelieveable.You must be having a wonderful time with your new friend.

Gay

I would NEVER leave my dog or ANY dog at Petsmart

Pet hotel. I did when on LOS in August and came back to a NIGHTMARE:mad:

My 9 lb yorkie was soooooooooooooooooooooooo

sick upon my return. That so called "pethotel"

almost killed her. She dropped down to 6 lbs,

was dehydrated, had vomiting and diahhrea.

She had to be admitted to our local animal

hospital for IV fluids via her neck, had 2 shots,

and was on antibiotics and 2 other pills for one week.

I never got any phone call at all. Took her 3 weeks

to recover from those Mor**ns.

I was not happy and let the manager know.

All she said was oh she was fine when she

was here, you signed a waiver so we have

NO responsibility for her sickness OR medical bills.

I wish I knew of an agency to report them

or shut them down. I WOULD.:mad:

To keep this cruise related, if you have to worry about things at home like pets it takes away from vacation. Especially when contact on a cruise ship is very limited.

The resort our dogs stay at has a form for each dog I fill it, it has three options 500.00, 1000.00 and what I call charge the card to the max. This is they amount their vets will spend on each dog for vet care before they have to call a contact number.

I leave two numbers with the vet of people I trust. And if there is a problem they know to e-mail me since I try and check e-mail once a day if possible when a ship. Even e-mail can be iffy on a ship. It is best to cover all bases.

One kennel I interviewed did not take credit cards and wanted cash in advance. The whole place smelled like feces. They could not answer basic questions on dog care, and had blocked off major areas with tall fences. The worst part was no dogs were barking. Dogs bark, they showed me one area with small dogs and none barked. I think the dogs were drugged.

There is a nice kennel in Glassboro on Fish Pond/Focer Road. (I'm having a senior moment and the name won't come to me right now.) A google should find it.

We leave our dogs at home as tbruin said they do. Our son and/or DIL come over once a day to feed them. They are happier at home than they would be elsewhere.

Check with your vet for names of petsitters. The good ones are bonded.

Good luck with it. I know the anxiety of leaving the pets at home. I think the video camera idea is a great one.

I am glad to see others are comfortable with leaving their pets at home. Whenever we go away I always leave Zachary (my 105lb lab mix) in the house and have the neighbors come let him out three times a day and feed him. In the past when I have gone away for more then a week I would have someone stay in the house overnight, but the person who usually comes over is not available this time. We have a two week cruise coming up in late October, do you all think two full weeks of being in the house without someone staying the night is too much? When I have brought him to dog hotels in the past he always seems mad when I get him back and for the good amount of money I spend to get him an upgraded room and attention, it doesn't seem worth it.

We've left ours as long as a month. They have a dog door and a big back yard to run and play in, and my son or DIL come over every day to feed and visit with them. On weekends my son stays for a few hours.

I don't like leaving them for long periods, but I know they would hate it in a kennel. Especially the older dog.

We're going to Florida for two months this winter and will take them with us.

Archived