Cheapest way to get on a boat-2 toddlers along

EmmaJean

I am looking for the cheapest way to go on a cruise in 2008. Our boys will be 2 and 3. I just want to get on the boat. Hoping to spend under $1000--any ideas?

Which cruise lines offer the best 3rd & 4th person rates? Are there ever promotions that are extra cheap for the 3rd & 4th?

I try to look at travel sites to compare but it gets so hard to figure out for the little guys. "Deals" are often just for rooms with 2.

We spent so much on our first cruise to Alaska--base price of $800 for first two, $600 each for the little two. Almost $4000 total. It was so fun, but we can't do that again.

Go to a site like Expedia/Travelosity and put in where you want to cruise and the days (5 days and under will keep it close to under $1,000 for 4 people for an inside). THEN click to organize it by "PRICE". It will list the cheapest cruises and the best times.

I can tell you off the top of my head the cheapest ships/cruises.

You can get usually 4-5 day sailings on Carnival Elation, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination during the school months for as low as $345 per person for the 1st and 2nd person, $245 for the 3rd and 4th. TOTAL, including port fees and taxes.

Bahaman cruises are the CHEAPEST.

Other ships to look at are RCCL Sovereign of the Seas and Monarch/Majesty of the Seas. They will fall in line with Carnival's rates.

I have been able to take friends with us who paid $1,050 for the family of 4 - total.

Helped my DD find a cruise last year, there was a 3rd/4th special charging only $99each. They booked the adults at $249 ea. The deposits actually paid for their cruise! I am taking the family this year but, if we can find another one like that for 08...Just keep searching around...Carnival and RCCL offer deals on their 3rd/4th several times during the year. Just grab them when you see them. Hope you find a great deal. (I know Alaska is costly but the Caribbean/Bahamas on the East coast and Mexico on the West are really priced reasonable)Enjoy your cruise

The absolute cheapest way to cruise with kids is on Costa. They offer a "kids sail free" promotion throughout the year. They also don't charge for tips on children 14 and under!

We are taking advantage of the "kids sail free" this December and have an inside cabin for 4 that cost us $1300 total. This is the best rate we've ever paid for a 7 day cruise.

Good luck!

The absolute cheapest way to cruise with kids is on Costa. They offer a "kids sail free" promotion throughout the year. They also don't charge for tips on children 14 and under!

We are taking advantage of the "kids sail free" this December and have an inside cabin for 4 that cost us $1300 total. This is the best rate we've ever paid for a 7 day cruise.

Good luck!

What is the kid's program like on Costa? I have always wondered. Do you have any info on it? Thanks!

With kids that age I would choose Norwegian or Carnival - they allow kids to join in the kids' club at age 2. RCCL will arrange "playgroups" for kids as young as 6 mo, but you can't leave them in the care of the club staff until they're 3. Same for Princess. Obviously Disney takes young kids too, but they're pricey IMO.

Great rates are often available in January - it seems so backwards to me, but you can find some incredible deals on not-full Caribbean sailings then, especially if you can book last-minute.

Helped my DD find a cruise last year, there was a 3rd/4th special charging only $99each. They booked the adults at $249 ea. The deposits actually paid for their cruise! I am taking the family this year but, if we can find another one like that for 08...Just keep searching around...Carnival and RCCL offer deals on their 3rd/4th several times during the year. Just grab them when you see them. Hope you find a great deal. (I know Alaska is costly but the Caribbean/Bahamas on the East coast and Mexico on the West are really priced reasonable)Enjoy your cruise

Was this a 3 or 4 day like crusinmama suggested?

To everyone who finds the deals--

Where do you find the specials posted?

Did you do that on Carnival or RCCL?

What time of year did you book ?

What time of year did you sail?

Where is the easiest place to look to compare?

What does Costa do for 2 and 3 year olds?

Thank you so much.

Emma Jean

Was this a 3 or 4 day like crusinmama suggested?

To everyone who finds the deals--

Where do you find the specials posted?

Did you do that on Carnival or RCCL?

What time of year did you book ?

What time of year did you sail?

Where is the easiest place to look to compare?

What does Costa do for 2 and 3 year olds?

Thank you so much.

Emma Jean

No it was a 7 night RCCL. She actually booked this as one of the RCCL one day special deals. Sure would like to find something like this again! You just have to get on the email lists for the cruise lines and then several on line booking sites that you like working with. Both CCL and RCCL offer good deals during the year. NCL has some but I do not think they are offered as often or with as deep of discounts. The fall and Jan seem to give us the best rates. I would suggest you check out Costas site here at CC for their info. I have sailed Costa once and don't planned to again. Everyone has their own personal favorites. We are not allowed to poat web or TA sites, You can email me and I will be glad to share the ones we use docsinhand at aol dot com

Good luck!

Hey girl, where did you book this through?? I want to go!!

we just booked Costa's kids sail free too. We have 7 of us (3 adults <my dad is coming>) and 4 kids. 3 of my 4 are sailing for $71 port charges only. Our total for 2 OV cabins was $2268. It would have been about $300 cheaper if we went inside, so definitely doable for around $1000. Good luck!

I went to the Costa site and didn't see anything about kids sail free. Feel free to email me and help up out;) mackeeg@cox.net

Hi Bellybutton! Long time, no chat!

I actually read about the kids sail free on CC (of course), and called Costa directly. They gave me the list of all of the sailings that it was available on. At the time it was A LOT of sailings.

I know that they do this at least once a year, maybe more. I almost booked last year but chickened out because it was Costa and ended up booking the Valor -- with you!

Cruisinmama--I've not heard great things about the kids program. I think it's so-so. The sailing that we picked is port intensive and my kids don't spend much time in the program anyway. But when we get back I will let you know how it was and I'll try to remember to get the kids schedules and post them.

Don't assume that Carnival,etc are going to give you the cheapest rates. The best deals for 3/4 person appear to be during the school year. Forget the summertime!

We are going on Holland next month for a 7 day and the kids rates are $275 including tax. Another time at Christmas on Celebrity for a 5 day, I paid $250 each for them. Check out the more upscale lines too.

• 4 weeks later...

I book far in advance, and then keep an eye on the prices. If they go down before the final payment is due, I call and have my cost dropped as well. I just did this with my online travel agent - it was posted on the Princess boards here that prices had dropped. I called the online broker, they checked, and then lowered my price.

I choose where I want to go and then check how much each line will cost. The 3rd person rate is what makes the big difference usually - sometimes one line will be charging almost full fare and another will cost $199 or $399 for the 3rd person. It's takes some investigating, but the savings are worth it.

Best,

Mia

Archived