status of snorkeling in Cozumel after hurricanes?

snorkelman

I have narrowed it down to either chankanaab park or paradise beach for snorkeling in Cozumel next week. Given the recent hurricanes, I would like to know the status of the reefs. I will be snorkeling from the shore at one of these locations. Anyone gone to either in the past few weeks? I have heard mixed comments about the coral being destroyed.

By the way, I will be bringing my own snorkel gear.

Thanks in advance for any status reports.

Also, I am leaning towards Paradise Beach mainly because my wife can get a massage there...

Wilma greatly impacted shore snorkeling. She destroyed the near shore coral reefs. However, it's reported that marine life has returned to the dead coral and rocks.

Fortunately, the offshore reefs suffered minimal damge and have recovered. Coz is still first class snorkeling at the offshore reefs: Palancar, Columbia, Punta Sur, et al.

Dzul Ha is likely your best bet for shore snorkeling. It's a small beach, but the snorkeling there was always far superior to Chankanaab. I think Paradise is mostly sand, anyway?

Here's a good beach guide:

http://cozumelinsider.com/Beaches?From=Snorkeling

Take a look at Playa Palancar on the beach guide. My boat snorkel stopped there for lunch. It's a nice beach, uncrowded when we were there. The Cozumelinsider description refers to a snorkel guide Dalila Divers. That would be worthwhile pursuing if you go there. The CozInsider guide locates the beach at 19km from town, so it's about a 20 minute taxi ride. There's a cab rank at the beach.

Archived