Baby pools on ships???

3DBeach

Me and my husband are looking to go on a cruise in january, either the caribbean or mexican riviera. Our son will be 18 months old so i have lots of ?'s. My 1st and most important is what ships (if any) have baby pools. He most likely won't be potty trained so i'm wondering if any of the ships allow swim diapers.

My next ? is about babysitting. Which ships have in-cabin babysitting or if it's a group babysitting, what is the age requirement?

Thanks for the great threads that are posted here, i love reading about everything. It makes me that much more excited to hopefully book a cruise. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

I'm gonna get flamed, but I will respond and just wear my flamesuit!

I've been on several cruises with that age group and it seems like officially you can't have your child go in the pool, but they sometimes have a small splash pool that is treated with choroline and only kids are in there so those people don't seem to mind, in fact it is where people with little ones congregate.

On the Princess cruise line I have noticed a very small kids pool like that as well as Carnival. When we went on Serenade of the Seas there was an area that the little kids were in, but I'm sure they weren't supposed to. It was a kid only pool area with a couple inches deep for most of it and a 3 foot deep in the middle. I have a 4 year old also so I sat and let my son walk around, but his bum never got in the water.

Jenn

Oops, I forgot to mention a few other things...

It seemed like babysitting is an issue. RCL and Celebrity I *think* do in cabin babysitting, but not sure of the requirements. I know that RCL used to be 6 months and up, but changed it to older so make sure you are getting the most current info.

Carnival allows some group babysitting at some odd hours.

Cruisemates.com also has some good info about family crusing that may be helpful.

Jenn

• Administrators
Me and my husband are looking to go on a cruise in january, either the caribbean or mexican riviera. Our son will be 18 months old so i have lots of ?'s. My 1st and most important is what ships (if any) have baby pools. He most likely won't be potty trained so i'm wondering if any of the ships allow swim diapers.

My next ? is about babysitting. Which ships have in-cabin babysitting or if it's a group babysitting, what is the age requirement?

Thanks for the great threads that are posted here, i love reading about everything. It makes me that much more excited to hopefully book a cruise. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

I know you will have such a good time! :) I don't know of a ship that has "pools" for diapered babies. Swim diapers/non-potty-trained children aren't permitted (for an example why, Cruisinmama06 has recently reported on her Sensation cruise that the children's pool was unusable their entire sea day because of a poop accident. How sad for all the other kids. :( ). Some ships have areas that are more of a splash and play fountain area where children in diapers are permitted. You could also consider bringing a small blow up pool for your little one to splash around in (you'd dump it in the shower drain or the drains along the edge of the ship for rainwater/mopwater). I think several threads here have good information on this, so rather than re-create the wheel, I'll just link them.

Here's a recent thread about in-room babysitting on various lines:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=628949

Another thread with great information on cruising with a little one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=569542&highlight=infant+pool

And finally one specifically about children in diapers and pools:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565272&highlight=infant+pool

Check out RCCL's Freedom of the Seas and Independence of the Seas. They do have a small baby pool area in the H20 Zone that does allow babies in diapers. RCCL also has the incabin babysitting in the evenings for age 1 year and up. I believe the cost is $8 an hour.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not listen to the other poster and put the baby in the children's pools on Carnival and Princess, they are NOT chlorinated...they are SALT water and are NOT chlorinated.

And I have been on these ships and have seen the children's pools shut down on sea days because someone put their unpotty trained child in them and the whole pool had to be drained and cleaned. :mad:

See....

878783-R1-02-1A_003.jpg

If you want a ship which allows babies...then go on Disney Magic or Wonder...or Royal Caribean's Freedom Class which is Freedom of the Seas, Liberty of the Seas or Independance of the Seas. They have "Baby Zone's on them...see below...

FOScopy.jpg

OR you can bring an inflatable pool with you. There are many threads here containing pictures and tips on how to bring an inflatable.

Also, RCCL is the cruiseline that offers in room babysitting. It is $8 per hour and is on a first come first serve, by request basis.

I think i'm gonna wind up doing a 5 night on enchantment of the seas because it only has one day at sea. He loves the water but i respect the reason for not letting them in the pool so it's a lot easier to just bring him to the beach so he can play in the sand and get his feet wet. Thank you so much and i just want to say i love reading all of he posts. I've learned a lot of stuff about cruising...now i just need to go on as many as some of you!:D :)

I think i'm gonna wind up doing a 5 night on enchantment of the seas because it only has one day at sea. He loves the water but i respect the reason for not letting them in the pool so it's a lot easier to just bring him to the beach so he can play in the sand and get his feet wet. Thank you so much and i just want to say i love reading all of he posts. I've learned a lot of stuff about cruising...now i just need to go on as many as some of you!:D :)

Enchantment looks like a beautiful ship. Some things about RCCL....they have an "Aqua Tots" program created by Fisher Price. They are 45 minute sessions where you can go with your toddler and play with other toddlers.

To book the in cabin babysitting, go to Customer Relations on the first day and put your requests in.

And if you want to bring an inflatable, here is the latest thread on the subject. You can put them on the pool decks and fill them with a sand bucket, then empty them into the shower on at the pool. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=622880

Have you ever used the in-cabin babysitting? I'm wondering if there's a huge demand for them and if they have enough sitters? Also what is the times that they'll babysit from. Thanks again!:D

I haven't needed to but other posters here have...look for a thread from SAS. She used them and had no problems at all.

Have you ever used the in-cabin babysitting? I'm wondering if there's a huge demand for them and if they have enough sitters? Also what is the times that they'll babysit from. Thanks again!:D

We used it on our Granduer and Navigator cruises. They offer babysitting anytime. We reserved the same sitter every evening at 8pm to 12 am so we could have dinner without the little one. By the second night he knew the sitter well and had no reservations about us leaving. You can have restrictions, such as instruct sitter not to leave your room, or you can give her permission to take the baby around the ship. It's comes down to whatever you prefer.

The cost at the time was 10/hr for up to 2 kids. It was sooooo worth it.

Archived