Who Would Have Thought

Change who would have thought how fast it adds up, DH started throwing his change in a jar just a few months ago, rolled it today and he has 100 dollars of FUN money. I am amazed, I am going to start saving change for my next cruise.

Mew1:) :D

Another tip for change saving:

When you go to the store and your total is, let's say, $4.42. Instead of giving exact change, always give the up to the next dollar amount to the cashier. Take the .58 and throw it in your jar. Do this even if it's only $4.02 or something small. You don't even realize your squirreling money away. I put almost $100 a month away in my savings account this way.

My DS (age 12) started saving change on January 1st when he found out he would be going on a cruise this year. He found change all over the house...lol in the sofa, washing machine etc...he would save his soda bottles and recycle them for the nickle and started collecting empty bottles from his 2 sisters who didn't want to bother returning them to the store. He saved his "snack money" that I give him now and then to buy ice cream or chips in school. He wrapped all his coins last week for a grand total of.....$214.50!!!! :eek: And he is only 12.

LOL, funny thing my son does at Halloween..he goes trick or treating and brings home POUNDS of candy...then bags his candy in plastic sandwich size baggies. He takes the school bus to school with 6th-12th grade students and sells his candy baggies to the older kids for $0.25-$0.50 :eek:

LOL, funny thing my son does at Halloween..he goes trick or treating and brings home POUNDS of candy...then bags his candy in plastic sandwich size baggies. He takes the school bus to school with 6th-12th grade students and sells his candy baggies to the older kids for $0.25-$0.50 :eek:

This Halloween thing is so cute and very smart! This guy has a future in business!:D

My DS (age 12) started saving change on January 1st when he found out he would be going on a cruise this year. He found change all over the house...lol in the sofa, washing machine etc...he would save his soda bottles and recycle them for the nickle and started collecting empty bottles from his 2 sisters who didn't want to bother returning them to the store. He saved his "snack money" that I give him now and then to buy ice cream or chips in school. He wrapped all his coins last week for a grand total of.....$214.50!!!! :eek: And he is only 12.

Sounds like a future Bill Gates there. A marketing genius who knows how to work supply and demand! :D Maybe I should be the one who bags up my kids' candy and go sell it at the bus stop or something! lol

DH and I always do this... we have a big plastic coke bottle we toss coins into and occasionally I take out a spare bill or two and pitch them in as well. We don't even feel it in the day-to-day doings, but our highest total in the bottle was last year before our vacation- $936. Unbelievable.

Now, I do make a concerted effort to put something in nearly every day, but it's always out of spare change found in pockets, or a few singles when I have lots of cash in the wallet.

I also have started putting in any $1 bills I have and all of my pocket change. My DH likes to have change in his pocket so he only allows me to take his pennies and nickels. The only time I miss having change or $1 bills is for parking meters and tipping, but I still seem to manage:D .

:( This doesn't work real fast in our house since we mainly use debit cards to pay for everything. The only time we have cash is usually when its allowance time.

Harmony365--My teens do the same thing with their candy from Halloween. And a step further they take the extra chocolate chip pancakes from Sunday morning and baggie them up and sell them at school on Monday. Big Hit!!:D

Does anyone take their coin savings to the bank periodically or wait until just before their cruise? I am tempted to see how much I've saved so far as I've been saving since March of "06.:)

I save my coin and when there is enough to roll, it goes to the bank and I get a few cents more in intrest. With loonies & toonies at $25 & $50 a roll it adds up fast, but even a few 50c add up.

Another tip for change saving:

When you go to the store and your total is, let's say, $4.42. Instead of giving exact change, always give the up to the next dollar amount to the cashier. Take the .58 and throw it in your jar. Do this even if it's only $4.02 or something small. You don't even realize your squirreling money away. I put almost $100 a month away in my savings account this way.

This doesn't work to fast for us since we mainly use debit cards for all purchases if we aren't writing a check. Cash is seldom used in our family unless its to the kids for their allowance.

There are actually banks that will do this with your checking account! If you use your debit card, it rounds it up to the next dollar and puts the change into your savings account! Might be fun to have a special savings account for cruising and have all the change go to it... hey, it also makes balancing the old checkbook a little easier with those round numbers! :)

Ah yes..........the Cruise Jar. We started our Cruise Jar several years ago, and yes, the change can add up. We still have our jar in the closet, and it looks like we'll have a couple of hundred dollars for our Nov. cruise. Since we had such good luck with the jar in the past, we opened a 'Cruise Account', at a local bank. We picked a bank that was not our normal bank, so we wouldn't be tempted to take the money out. We put birthday, and Ebay money into it, and cruise when we have enough saved up for two fares...........

Change who would have thought how fast it adds up, DH started throwing his change in a jar just a few months ago, rolled it today and he has 100 dollars of FUN money. I am amazed, I am going to start saving change for my next cruise.

Mew1:) :D

Yep. It adds up. I have been saving my change for about a year now. I have probably around $500. Next year is my and my husband's 25 anniversary and I want to use it then. Of course I'll keep saving my change until then!!

There are actually banks that will do this with your checking account! If you use your debit card, it rounds it up to the next dollar and puts the change into your savings account! Might be fun to have a special savings account for cruising and have all the change go to it... hey, it also makes balancing the old checkbook a little easier with those round numbers! :)

My bank actually matches your change for the first few months! :D

Archived