"must do" excursions...

expericd

Hi-

I've just booked my first cruise with Royal Caribbean and we're sailing the Serenade of the Seas this coming January. The itinerary sails from San Juan and includes St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, and finally Barbados.

I'm a 27-year old male sailing with my 25-year old girlfriend. Both of us are pretty outgoing, into adventurous things, and always enjoy a good laugh. We're looking for anything involving a little action ;-)

What are the best, "must-do" excursions you cool cruisers have experienced at these places? We're looking for anything that isn't too laid back or boring (although we definately enjoying a nice beach). Anything involving water activities (snorkeling/scuba/parasailing), beach visits, a few different stops, etc...sounds like it would be right up our alley. And, if they offer drinks on the tour that's definately a plus, although we'll, most likely anyway ;) (can't promise), save the drinking and dancing for the nights on the ship.

Any recommendations?

Also, are all of the different operators available through the cruise line? If so, should I book them through Royal Caribbean in these next few months?

Or am I better off contacting them directly via their websites/phone numbers?

St. Maartens has a good excursion that I like. The old Americas Cup winning sailboat. Stars and Stripes, is there along with a couple others in the same class. You and your fellow cruisers become the deckhands on these sailboats and have a race. You can work hard all the way to not work at all. There's a job for everyone. Something a little different.

We'll be on a different ship and haven't technically done any excursions yet, but this is our plan.

St Thomas: BOSS Underwater Excursion. This is an excursion where you ride underwater on a scooter. You also get to snorkel while waiting your turn to ride the scooters. If you look for posts on the St. Thomas port of call board here at Cruise Critic, you can get some more information. Here's the link to the website:

http://www.bossusvi.com/

St. Lucia: On the advice of many fellow CCers, we booked Cosol's tour in St. Lucia. I have yet to read a negative review about this tour. Again, if you search it out on the St. Lucia port of call board here, you can find some more information. There is a beach stop on this tour. Here's Cosol's website:

http://www.cosol-tours.com/

Antigua: We're going to have a 'beach bum' day here and take a taxi to Dickinson Bay beach. You can rent waverunners ($45/30 min per the posts on the Antigua POC board).

We're getting married in Barbados, so that day is pretty much booked up! :) I've read a lot of good reviews for the Silvermoon Catamaran and a lot of people also visit the Boatyard.

As for booking through the cruiseline, some excursions will not allow you to book 'privately' if they offer their service through the cruiseline you're sailing. BOSS is one of them. You would have to book that through Royal Caribbean. Yes, book ASAP as the popular excursions fill up quickly. Booking privately will save you some money though.

The only downfall to booking on your own is that the ship will not wait for you if you're late coming back.

Hope this helps a little! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that the America's Cup in St. Martin is a must.

The Jolly Roger in Barbados is a BLAST. All the rum punch or beer you can drink plus a cash bar. Walking the plank. Swinging from the rope. Swimming at a stop but party hardy all the day.

Archived