What to do in Belize?

Sunnymom02

We did the private island beach break last year on the Miracle. I am not sure the name of the beach and it is not open to the public. The tender took us right there so we never really were able to see the port. We really enjoyed ourselves. It was very clean and there was a small snack bar and bar. If you are looking for a nice relaxing day, this is the way to go!

Can anyone tell me about the 'Captain Your own RBI' tour through Coralbreeze in Belize? DH decided we should do this (and he is one to NEVER book excursions in advance) so I was surprised. It sounds like fun.

We were in Belize last year..spent a wonderful (and exciting) day diving and snorkelling but that involved plane rides to another island so we didn't see much of Belize itself except from the air!

Anyway..I'd love to hear from someone who has done this and what you thought of it. Thanks

We just returned from the Legend, and had the best time on this tour. I booked this because I was looking for something different than cavetubing and ziplines. I also wanted something uncrowded. With this tour we got both! There were 4 (DS 18, DD 15) of us and the two tour guides. My son and daughter were in one boat and my DH and I in another. James and Tony (the guides) were in the lead boat. James is the look-out and is so knowledgeable and proud of his country, and Tony is the driver and mechanic and tought us how to drive our boats. These guys made a great team. We started off going through beautiful Mangroves, then down the Belieze river. We were the only ones on the river! We saw a couple of crocodiles, birds, howler monkeys, iguanas and on the way back a dolphin! The boats were easy to drive and surprisingly fast. We raced each other on the way back up river. I would highly recomend this tour for all ages.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Belize over Thanksgiving and did a jungle horseback riding tour with Trevor and Cathy of Smugglers Run. It was fantastic and included an incredible lunch. They picked us up and brought us back with plenty of time to spare. Our kids had a blast.

I really love Belize, one of my favorite places I've ever been, and I've lived all over the world. Last time I was there I went to Lamanai, which was one of the best trips I've ever taken. The wildlife (including alligators and monkeys) was incredible, and the ruins were amazing. I can't imagine being bored there.

This time we're going snorkeling, it's the second biggest barrier reef in the world. I'm really excited. I would like to stay in Belize for awhile and get to see everything.

Overall, if none of these things appeal to you (beautiful wildlife, ruins, barrier reefs, caves) then you probably shouldn't take a western caribbean cruise. Personally, I went on a southern caribbean cruise and was a bit unexcited, all of the islands looked alike, just a bunch of fancy shops and bars that I could see in the U.S. If you want really developed islands, nice shops, and a few beaches, you'd be better off going to eastern or southern carib.

Greetings from 'Down Under'

We have recently booked B2B cruises on Carnival Valor, sailing Oct 2008.

We are very new to the Caribbean & as such I'm starting to research each port well in advance. What's THE best tour to do? Is it best to arrange through ship or just 'wing it' on the day??

Cheers

I think commscholar's comments are on point. I do not think there is one best tour to do - it all depends upon your interests. We went to Lamanai with an independent tour and LOVED it!

I would, however, recommend that you book any tour in advance. Belize is a tender port so you should have your plans in place if you are going to go cave tubing or see the ruins.

I really love Belize, one of my favorite places I've ever been, and I've lived all over the world. Last time I was there I went to Lamanai, which was one of the best trips I've ever taken. The wildlife (including alligators and monkeys) was incredible, and the ruins were amazing. I can't imagine being bored there.

This time we're going snorkeling, it's the second biggest barrier reef in the world. I'm really excited. I would like to stay in Belize for awhile and get to see everything.

Overall, if none of these things appeal to you (beautiful wildlife, ruins, barrier reefs, caves) then you probably shouldn't take a western Caribbean cruise. Personally, I went on a southern Caribbean cruise and was a bit unexcited, all of the islands looked alike, just a bunch of fancy shops and bars that I could see in the U.S. If you want really developed islands, nice shops, and a few beaches, you'd be better off going to eastern or southern carib.

Overall, if none of these things appeal to you (beautiful wildlife, ruins, barrier reefs, caves) then you probably shouldn't take a western caribbean cruise. Personally, I went on a southern caribbean cruise and was a bit unexcited, all of the islands looked alike, just a bunch of fancy shops and bars that I could see in the U.S. If you want really developed islands, nice shops, and a few beaches, you'd be better off going to eastern or southern carib.

We went on the Lamania Trip with our 10 and 12 year old grandchildren. We all loved the tour and I highly recommend it.

Archived