What to do at Grand Cayman?

Sunnymom02

This will be our third trip to Grand Cayman. On our first cruise, we did the Island tour through Carnival that went to Hell, turtle farm, rum factory. The second time, we did a tour on our own with Captain Bryan's and did the stingray thing. Not sure what to do this time around? Any ideas?

Looking at the Carnival excursions, there is one called the stingray sandbar and rum point extravaganza? Has anyone done this one before? I would love to get to rum point and I guess I could maybe handle doing the stingrays again???

Otherwise, do you recommend a certain beach on 7 mile beach? I have heard of Sea Grape and the Beach Club Colony, but now Carnival has excursions to these places. So maybe a bit crowded? Any other places? Any info would be greatly appreciated:o

I'd rent a car and expore the island. You could drive over to Rum Point. It's 45-minutes each way. The botanical garden and blow holes are over that direction. We love the East End of the island. It's totally different from the touristy George Town/7MB area and it's perfectly safe to explore all parts of the island (this is why we keep going back to GC).

We always use Andy's for our car rental, but there are others. Andy's just happens to be right outside the front door of the airport...so it's convienent when you fly to the island.

I'd not go to Beach Club Colony. I've only read one positive post about the place. If there aren't many ships in port, Sea Grape or Royal Palms (I posted their website below) would be fun, but there are days that there are 10 ships in port and it's a total zoo. If you're there on a day with more than 5 ships, I'd really consider renting a car and getting out of that area.

http://www.reefgrill.com/

. If there aren't many ships in port, Sea Grape or Royal Palms (I posted their website below) would be fun, but there are days that there are 10 ships in port and it's a total zoo. If you're there on a day with more than 5 ships, I'd really consider renting a car and getting out of that area.

http://www.reefgrill.com/

You make a very good point, But, can anyone tell me how you find out how many ships will be in port on the day that you are there? :confused:

You make a very good point, But, can anyone tell me how you find out how many ships will be in port on the day that you are there? :confused:

www.cruisecal.com

Also, I am using Majestic Tours for a private 4 hr tour to go to the other side of the island to see Millionaires Row, Pedros Castle, The Bluff and spend time at Rum Point Beach. It is $75 per hour, but depending if it is more than one couple then it is worth the guided tour. Otherwise, I agree with the OP who said to rent a car:)

Google Grand Cayman Island and you will get a home page that has a lot of links on it, including ships in port by both days of the week, and a monthly calendar. I have the actual website somewhere and when I find it, I'll post it later.

I heard it was a 45 minute cab ride to the botanical garden and about a $50 cab ride each way. Exactly where is it located from George Town?

It would be cheaper to rent a car and drive to the botanical gardens. To get to there, you go in the opposite direction of the 7MB area. You drive through Savannah, Bodden Town and you'd turn on Frank Sound Road (it's the same cut-through road you use to get to Rum Point). It's a 45-minute drive to Rum Point, and the botanical garden is a bit before you'd get there, so I'd say it's more like 30 minutes or so to get to the gardens.

There's very little traffic over in that direction (except during morning and evening rush), so you could toodle along and enjoy the scenery.

www.caymanport.com has all the ships in port information you need. Just type in the day and month, and voila, you will know what ships are there.

Thanks. Worked very well and confirmed information from another site.

One interesting.thing I found out, is that 'Constellation' (Celebrity) is listed under Royal Caribbean. Guess the two 'companies' are in name only.

And the port website changed its entire format between last Tuesday (9/18) and today. I am looking at the end of April and first part of May at the Grand Caymans b/c I have rented a condo for 10 days, and on 5/7 the ships in port total 15,000 pax! Me thinks we will stay in our condo that day.

And the port website changed its entire format between last Tuesday (9/18) and today. I am looking at the end of April and first part of May at the Grand Caymans b/c I have rented a condo for 10 days, and on 5/7 the ships in port total 15,000 pax! Me thinks we will stay in our condo that day.

We try and fly in and out on the busy days, but if we're there when there are that many ships in port, we almost always try to scoot to the other side of the island. I usually do a sheet that tells me how many ships will be in port each day and we plan our activities around that. Usually by 2:00 or so most of the passengers are heading back to the port (or are in the port area) so it's not too bad then. There are a few ships that leave later, and many times we'll go to Breezes and have dinner on the balcony and watch the passengers get on the ships and the ships sail away.

Also, if we wanted to do any beach time, we almost always did that in the morning...say 9:30 or so until noon. If it did shower, it seemed like it was in the afternoon.

Archived