Carnival Conquest - First time cruisers

snowseeker

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in November on Carnival Conquest. I have lots of questions and wondered if someone could help me out.

How much is tux rental on the ship?

Anyone know of a local reliable tour company in Montego Bay? We would like to create our own agenda if possible.

Is stingray city worth it in Grand Cayman, what about the turtle farm?

Is Cozumel safe to roam? (I am a shopper and do not want to stay in the mainstream.)

I really appreciate any assistance you can offer! Very, very excited!!!:p

Hey, we are first time Cruisers and going on the Conquest in October. Thankfully we are going with experienced cruisers so that help ease our fears. The people we are going with went on the same cruise last year and commented that the place they felt the most hassled by the locals was Cozomel. I don't know for myself, but I thought that might help.

My 16yo daughter and I were on Conquest back in July, and we had so much fun! This is a great ship!! Be sure and look at the port section here on Cruise Critic and you will find tons of info for the ports of call! In Cozumel they will try to get you to come in their stores as you are walking by, but either just keep walking or be firm and tell them no! Lots of jewelry shops in cozumel so if that is your thing you may want to attend the "shopping" talk on the ship. Otherwise, you can buy all kinds of things there. It is very safe in Cozumel as the majority of the shopping is right by the pier. There are lots of places to eat too. Be careful in Jamaica and read the port info to find tour companies. Grand Cayman is fun too! We were supposed to do the stingrays but we accidentally overslept so we just went to Margaritaville which was really fun!! Just study the layout of the ship and the decks, but you will really learn the ship when you get onboard and begin to explore! Be sure and go to webshots.com or cruiseclues.com and you may find some pictures of your particular cabin # if you know it, and I'm sure there are other picture sites as well. Cozumel has a great website with lots of info, just can't remember what the exact web address is, so just search for that as well as for the other ports of call. You will love this ship!!:)

Snowseeker: I have been on Conquest twice and will be happy to help. Personally that's my favorite ship so far.

On our first cruise to Montego Bay we hired our own driver (Leo). He took us on a tour of the city and to a VERY good jerked chicken restaurant. On our second trip we telephoned Leo and had him waiting at he dock to take us to Negril. I highly recommend this. It was like paradise. We went to Margaritaville and to Rick's where we saw some amazing cliff diving.

In Grand Cayman we took the stingray/snorkeling tour with Capt. Bryan. I highly recommend this. We had a ball. This wasn't as crowded as some of the other excursions we saw who were literally packed in like sardines. Also, the price was VERY reasonable.

We have been to Cozumel many many times on and off cruise ships. We always rent a jeep and go around to the windward side of the island to a little place called Mezcalitos. We fell in love with this place on our first trip to Cozumel several years ago. There is plenty of shopping right at the cruise pier so we usually stay at Mezcalitos and then leave in time to shop before boarding the ship.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help.

Lora

Anyone know of a local reliable tour company in Montego Bay? We would like to create our own agenda if possible.

Is Cozumel safe to roam? (I am a shopper and do not want to stay in the mainstream.)

I suggest checking out the port of call boards here at Cruise Critic for each port. You will find a wealth of reviews and suggestions. The search function is your friend. Your questions have probably all been addressed in detail on those boards. :)

In Cozumel, I was on a mission to find a certain store, and my DH's legs gave out on him, so he sat on a bench and waited for me. I shopped for several blocks by myself and never felt uncomfortable at all. Some shop keepers are pushy, but just learn to ignore them. They're used to it!

We did the Stingray, Turtle Farm, and Hell excursion on our first trip to Grand Cayman. I'd say yes, it is a worthwhile excursion once. But on future trips to Grand Cayman, we have skipped Hell and the Turtle Farm and just gone to visit the stingrays, which we LOVE! The visit to "Hell" is very much exaggerated, but it's fun to send postcards from there and to buy a tee shirt that says "I've been to Hell and back". The turtles are interesting, and they will let you hold a young one. Nice photo ops there. If I could choose only one, though, it would definitely be Stingray City!

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in November on Carnival Conquest. I have lots of questions and wondered if someone could help me out.

We were on the Conquest this month for our first cruise. We did the turtle, hell and stingray tour and thought it was worth the money. They did rush us in hell and you had to scramble to mail out some post cards. We loved the stingray encounter and I felt it was worth the money. We only shopped in Cozumel and agree they are very pushy there. Just learn to say no. If you stay on the main streets I felt safe. I don't know about wondering the back streets. I know there are a lot of different opinions on booking thought Carnival or on your own. This was our first cruise so we choose to book through Carnival. Yes it did cost slightly more but with everything else to worry about this was not something I wanted to deal with so I went with Carnival and for me the cost slightly extra cost was worth it. You will have a ball, we did and are already looking to book again on the Conquest.

just back on Sunday from the Conquest suggestions for excursions, this is what we did and loved it all. We are low maintenance and wanted easy going stuff to do.

Montego Bay we grabbed a taxi to Dr Cave beach, oh my its was beautiful, full service on the beach buckets of red stripe, food etc. Cab was $4 bucks per person, entrance fee to Dr Cave beach $5, deck chair $5 and umbrella $5, don't get them all if you don't need them we could have laid out on the sand and just got the umbrella for a break from the sun, they have showers and restrooms and a couple of restaurants there too, also watersports if you want them. Afterwards we left and walked to margaritaville for a few and then taxi back $4.

Grand Cayman, we booked the NativeWays Tour. Rays, Reef and Rum point $60 for 5 hours and lunch was included with ice tea or water, excellent value and a good time was had by everyone that went. some of our group went with a different company on a sailing trip but because of no wind they ended up doing the same as us for $80 but no lunch included.

Cozumel we got a taxi to paradise beach $28 for 6 of us each way, no cover to get in or for loungers and umbrellas but they do expect you to eat and drink and we obliged :D came back to port and went to Senior Frogs to watch the action!

Hope this helps, we felt safe in every port and our group was 10 women and two lucky guys!

Sue

We are first time cruisers also and have narrowed our first cruise down to a western caribbean cruise on either Carnival Conquest or RCI Freedom of the Seas. My wife likes the adults only area on Freedom, but I do not know if there is the same set-up on Carnival. Also is there a sports court on the Conquest, i.e. basketball/volleyball? Thanks in advance.

I was on the Conquest last September and I recommend Sunset Beach in Jamica and of course Margaritaville. Be sure and use a JUNTA cab. These are regulated by the Government and are safe and cheap. $4 to Sunset Beach. $4 to Margaritaville. They will come back and pick you up and take you to the ship. GC I used Capt Marvins for snorkeling and Sting Rays. I think the cost was about $30 and they take no more the 20 people so you are not crowded. cozumel just walked around. Conquest is a beautiful ship and you will have lots of fun. Just booked it again for Feb 08. I recommend that you have your passport too.

Robb

You don't have to rent a tux. A lot of men just wear a suit or even a sports jacket. There will be men who don't dress for formal night at all - just dockers and polo shirt. My husband got his tux on line for under $50. It fits perfectly and is a brand name I don't remember.

Stingray City is DEFINITELY worth it in Grand Cayman. Once, we just got a local tour guide when we got off the ship. Last time (Feb 06), we arranged for NativeWay Sports ahead of time -- that was awesome.

First time in Grand Cayman, the water was too rough so we couldn't do the stingray excursion. So, we went to hell, the turtle farm and the beach. It was ok. I'd only do that if you couldn't go to stingray city.

In Montego Bay (2004), we just got a cab when we got off the ship and the driver took us to Rose Hall Beach. We didn't plan this ahead (didn't know about Cruise Critic in those days!).

We've been to Cozumel a number of times and usually just take a cab where we want to go when we get off the ship. The taxi stand actually has the fares posted to various places. I'm not a big shopper, so I can't tell you more about the shopping outside the ports.

DH doesn't rent a tux either, so can't help you there.

Check out the ports boards for more info on Montego Bay and Grand Cayman.

Have a great cruise!

Our first time cruising was on the Conquest and the highlight of our trip was going with barrettadventures dot com , our driver was Chester, and this tour was exzcellent!!! Check out their website and you can choose from several tours. We chose the Mayfield Falls tour, we were the only ones on this tour, and we got there before anyone others so this was very private, we felt like we were treated like royalty. I highly recommend them!

Been on a Halloween Cruise and ship did not rent costumes. Some people brought them and wore them, think they has a 'best' costume contest. But most did not dress up. But, take youre costume anyway - then you can dress if you want to!

If you go on Costa, you will find folded sheets in your cabin the night before the last night. You will also find directions on how to make and wear a toga - the sheet! You then wear the toga to dinner! A lot did!

We are cruising over the Halloween "holiday". Will there be costumes for rent or should we bring our own.:confused:

KayTeeEss, sounds like you are on the same cruise as us. Halloween on the Conquest. Drop a note on the roll call board for this sailing. Most of us are bringing with us costumes, should be a lot of fun!

We loved the Conquest! We had kids w/us so our excursions were mainly for them. At Jamaica we did Rose Hall Beach Resort--it was o.k. At Grand Cayman we did the Pirate Excursion-kids loved it and loved jumping off the pirate ship into the water, we also did a beach there. Cozumel --the beach we went too was really rocky -didn't enjoy it at all.

Stingray City is DEFINITELY worth it in Grand Cayman. Once, we just got a local tour guide when we got off the ship. Last time (Feb 06), we arranged for NativeWay Sports ahead of time -- that was awesome.

Hey Tennis,

when you arranged an excursion thru Native Ways, how do you meet up with them once you get to port.

do they hold up signs with your name on it like airport limo drivers or what?

how much in advance did you make your reservations?

thanks .

Archived