Question about Passports while off the ship....

bbela000

Does anyone take their passports with them off of the ship or do you leave them safe in your room?

I can see how they would come in handy if you were unable to get back to the ship or if there was an emergency, but what's the best way of keeping them safe if you're out on an excursion? Like snorkeling for instance....would you trust the operator of the boat not to go through your stuff while you're out in the water? (I have a water proof thing for money and sail and sign card, but it's not big enough for a passport, that's why I'm asking for suggestions)

Thanks

Does anyone take their passports with them off of the ship or do you leave them safe in your room?

I can see how they would come in handy if you were unable to get back to the ship or if there was an emergency, but what's the best way of keeping them safe if you're out on an excursion? Like snorkeling for instance....would you trust the operator of the boat not to go through your stuff while you're out in the water? (I have a water proof thing for money and sail and sign card, but it's not big enough for a passport, that's why I'm asking for suggestions)

Thanks

I leave my passport in the safe onboard the ship and I take a photocopy of the passport with me when I get off the ship! I think it is safer onboard then if i take it with me and run the risk of losing it, damaging it or getting it stolen, etc. Just copy the important pages and take them with you.

the agent who processed us @ the post office (as to his credentials;) whether the "final say" who knows) said a photocopy is more than sufficient.

mentioned he & wife make several copies & each carry a copy of eachothers while in port jik one person loses their's.

I never though about making a copy of my passport. I just assumed you needed it since some of the islands have guards that stand there and need to see your s&s card and passport before you can get near the boat.

Your S&S cards and any photo ID will allow you to reboard.

The Passport is only an requirement if your miss the boat - or are trying to return to the states from the island, for whatever reason.

leave your passport on board, we have always used DL and SS card to get back on board, never have been asked for passport. That may change when everyone has to have their passport to travel, but until then leave the passport on board, where it will be safe.

I leave my passport in the safe onboard the ship and I take a photocopy of the passport with me when I get off the ship! I think it is safer onboard then if i take it with me and run the risk of losing it, damaging it or getting it stolen, etc. Just copy the important pages and take them with you.

Thanks Sheri, that is a great idea, never thought of that. On one of the many "list" here, it was mentioned to make a copy but nobody said what to do with it.

You do not need a photo ID Michele, if you have a copy of your Passport.

Yeah but my DL fits nicely in my lanyard right with my Set Sail pass. ;) A photo copy would be bulkier. :)

And I have a tendency to carry around my DL because that's how I lock and unlock the safe (magnetic strip). So it's just what works for me.

I think she means that when she gets off in a port she uses DL and S&S card and leaves her passport in the safe on the ship.

Yes, I understood that. But I would think when the new law changes, everyone will have to show a copy of their Passport when they get on and off the ship. Or at that time, will we have to carry that bulky Passport around with us all the time?

Yeah but my DL fits nicely in my lanyard right with my Set Sail pass. ;) A photo copy would be bulkier. :)

And I have a tendency to carry around my DL because that's how I lock and unlock the safe (magnetic strip). So it's just what works for me.

I used this cute little case that I got when we went to Hawaii, it fit around my neck. I carried my DL, S&S card, and my Credit Card and some change. I am not so sure I will be able to do that when we go on our next cruise to Europe. I hope I wont have to lug that Passport around and the copy will work.

When reboarding the ship in a foreign port passengers encounter two sets of security, port security and ship security. It is the port security that sometimes requests to see a photo ID. Most ports just want to see your S&S but you must always carry a photo ID incase it is requested. The ship security only needs the S&S as it has your picture in the ship's security system. I seriously doubt passports will be required by foreign port security as the only acceptable form of photo ID in the future. They are controlling who has access to their pier, it has nothing to do with rules for returning to the USA.

I do take my Passport with me if we are going on an excursion which doesn't involve water, change of clothing etc. like a tour of Mayan ruins. If we are going to the beach we leave them in our safe and just bring copies of the picture page. While the copies are much better than nothing because they help you prove who you are, they are still not the real thing. Our view is to have the real thing with us if it isn't at risk to damage.

Thanks

Your passport is your key to getting back home if anything happens. Copies may help you get an expedited replacement, but they won't get you on a flight to catch up with the ship or return home. I keep copies on the ship and available online, but I carry our originals with us at all times on port days. No I would not trust anyone to hold them, I carry them with me.

I take my passport everywhere. I use a travel pouch (like a money belt) that I wear under a top shirt. It fits the passport, other id, and money. I just like having it with me...just in case.

I can see how going on a water based excursion would be problematic. They do sell water proof travel pouches. I do not think I would not want to wear it while snorkeling or swimming.

Archived