ok, how much is too much

jazncruiser

I believe that the ticket booth on 42nd street that has discount tickets for that day's theater performances has moved to the Marriot Hotel at Times Square. New York has become a really friendly town since 9/11 and people will go out of their way to help you if you just ask. The Circle Line is great, but leaving on the Noordam out of NY, you will see everything from the ship. The difference on the Circle Line is that they narrate as they go. I wish the Noordam would do that as we leave NY so everyone would know what they are passing. You go right by ground zero, but you have to know where it was to know what you are passing. Lady Liberty though is another story. It's hard to miss that beautiful site.

Hi Everyone! This is Mr. jazncruiser chiming in with my input on how we plan on doing this trip with as little money as possible.:confused:

:mad: This will be a working vacation for me. I plan on packing my felt pens and sign making stuff so I can make my panhandle signs. The sign I have here at home states: WILL WORK FOR FOOD! This will not work on a cruise due to all of the food on board the ship. So, I plan on making a sign that reads: :o Need Money for Cruise Trip, or, Made Poor Choice on Hotel Room, Please Help!

After we board the ship, I will be setting up a Shoe Shine Booth on the Promenade deck mid ship. This should help offset what we will be spending at the bars. Patti will also be packing her iron and will be setting up shop next to mine and will be ironing for a fee anything you need to have done.:eek: During rough seas, I will be offering ODDS on the Promenade deck for the "wheelchair racing". We did this one before and it was very successful.

Thankyou for all of the great input and please stop by and see us if you are on this cruise.:cool: Steve

Ok, figures again. Cruise balcony cabin for 2: 2485, hotel for 4 nights 1 prior and 3 after: 814, 3 excursions: 370, trip insurance: 203, airfare: 629, spending (food, cruise line bill, trinkets): 1100. This is for 2 people. Wha'cha think? For 1 night at the Murray Hill in we don't have a toilet/shower in our room but the other 3 nights we do...it's called sharing that night is only 138. so...1 night we have to go out of our room to freshen up and take care of business..the Hotel is on 143 E 30th St and I'm sure there is nothing fancy about it:o , but we will be out most of the time sightseeing, and probably not what we are used to when we pay 100-150 here in Calif or AZ when we travel but so what, it will be an experience and who knows maybe something to talk about years to come!

Patti

Patti--

Don't forget that you're going to need to allow for taxis and subway fares - taxis to and from the Airport/ship and subways up and down the island while you're sightseeing - and unless you're having diner food or fast-food the entire time, meals there are not cheap.

;)

We went for deli sandwiches for lunch, a soft drink each and our bill was $40 plus tip.

Where did you eat? That's a lot for 2 deli sandwiches and 2 sodas even in Manhattan! Must have been Carnegie Deli or some other tourist trap. :)

At lunchtime you should be able to get deli sandwiches at a real deli for $6 to $8. And most deli's don't have waiters so tips don't feature.

Well, there's always a diner for breakfast or lunch. Pizza, hot dogs, hamburger, eggs, pancakes, etc. Depends on what you're willing to eat. Good luck with the food budget. Let us know how you did when you return.

There's also Chinatown where you can get a hearty meal for not too much money. Around office buildings there should be places going after the working lunchers with low cost meals. My local deli at work (Downtown financial area) has a lunch special: sandwich, chips and fountain soda for under $7.

Hi Everyone! This is Mr. jazncruiser chiming in with my input on how we plan on doing this trip with as little money as possible.:confused: .......................

.............. Patti will also be packing her iron and will be setting up shop next to mine and will be ironing for a fee anything you need to have done.:eek: .................Thankyou for all of the great input and please stop by and see us if you are on this cruise.:cool: Steve

Hi Mr. Jazncruiser - Just a friendly little reminder - Irons are prohibited onboard ship (fire hazard). The cabin steward is supposed to confiscate it if he sees it.

We took a travel steamer this past January, but I've read here on this board that those are not permitted either. :rolleyes:

Guess Patti will have to find some other kind of work. Perhaps she can give palm readings? :D

If you want to do anything special in NY, you may also be able to get tickets in advance or you can get theater tickets at deep discounts while there - unfortunately, I don't recall where you can go to get them.

It is called TKTS: discounts as much as 50% for the same day's evening show (or next day's matinée sold at South Street Seaport location).

TKTS Discount Booths

• Times Square: Temporary location at the Marriott Marquis Hotel during the renovation of Duffy Square: West 46th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue
  • South Street Seaport: At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

We are sailing on Hal, Noordman for 11 days. So far, including, hotel, 3 days in New York, cruise and excursions, we will have spent approx. 175.00 per person per day. Is this too much? It astounds me on how quickly things add up. Let me know what you think.:confused:

.........$175.00 x 2 people x 14 days = $4,900.00 for a 14 day vacation in New York and with an 11 day cruise.........I'd be delighted.....;)

Jim-we don't pinch pennies, just don't buy much on board ship except our drinks...I get books from the library but usually don't buy much else.....We usually get a little something for our grandkids and adult children (if we can find something for them-Last year in Tortola, I believe, I bought my daughter in law a wonderful tablecloth for about $40.00 for Christmas, here in the states it would have cost probably twice that much!

Boyjtie-Thanks for the suggestions, we will definately try to get some tickets

And, we will eat just fine, we don't eat a lot of fast food, but a bagel, some fruit will be wonderful for breakfast, especiallly after 11 days of stuffing ourselves on board ship!

Patti

Please don't take this as being judgemental, as that is not the intent... it's just that we all need a reality check from time to time.

Just think how fortunate we all are that we can travel as much as we do and are in a position to think that a $5000 vacation is somehow cheap.

I'm certain that most of us already do so, but with the holiday season approaching quicker than we'd like, please keep in mind those who are less fortunate and do what you can with your time or resources to share some of the bounty we are all fortunate enough to have.

Archived