Tipping Question for porters, cab drivers, etc New York City

marcyjane

Now this might seem crazy to some of you, but as you know most everything else is paid in advance except spending money etc.

I always make envelopes for each thing. Like parking, porters tips for pier/airport/hotel etc., so that I know I have that taken care of and ready and enough smaller bills.

I know at the port it's like $1 to $2 a bag.

This cruise is to New York and I need some input on what might be the custom amount to tip the cab drivers, port porters and hotel porters.

Should I tip a percent like in restaurants?

Also we have just always went on our own to the ports of call and looked around and shopped.

This time we have tours booked and paid in advance in every port stop.

Is it proper to tip the tour guide at the end of the tour?

Please give me your suggestion as to what you do.

Thanks so much in advance for you suggestin and help.

When we took a cab fro Penn Station to the pier, the driver was so accommodating and got us there so directly (not realizing I was a New Yorker)

was pleasant and actually suggested he drop us across from the pier I tipped him $7 on a $7 fare! Actually I had $15 in my pocket figuring the fare would be $12 based on traffic. He was so nice and helpful I just gave him the $15. Best money I ever spent. :D

As an FYI, the minimum taxi fare in NYC is $2.50, with $.40 for each additional 1/5 mile (assuming you're not stuck in traffic:mad: ). The NYC web site has transportation information - www.nyc.gov . There are set taxi fares from the airports, not including tolls and tips. Hope this helps!

Kathy

Archived