Gifts for Kids

caldebi

I saw a post that someone left on one of the other threads regarding bringing things to give to some of the kids in the poor countries, for instance Haiti. Has anyone done this and how is it received?

Also, I read on another thread that it is important to try to buy something from the people in Labadee that are selling crafts, etc at the port area. It was mentioned that people were so poor there that just selling a little something to the cruise passengers could make a huge difference for them.

Could someone give me any ideas? My husband and I are going on the Mariner in Nov. and going to Labadee. What types of things do they sell there that we could buy to help someone there?

I had seen that but then I also saw responses saying NOT to do that because children learn that by hanging around the cruise ships (instead of going to school) they can get money and gifts from the tourists. :(

It's so sad that we have to think like that....like a gift would cause more harm then good. Your heart was in the right place. Unfortunatly, it could backfire.

I've read that in Haiti, they like the plastic inflatable beach toys, so people pick them up in the dollar store and give them away in the market area. I've also read that people discreetly seek out an older woman to leave goods such as clothes with.

In Jamaica, we took a private tour with Marva Shaw (who I highly recommend!). She offers a visit to a school, which we couldn't do because we were there during summer break. However, I asked her if I could bring some books and school supplies as a gift for the children, which Marva delivered to the teacher when the school year resumed. I imagine you can ask any private tour guide on any island how to go about giving gifts to children - perhaps clothes can be donated to a church, etc.

Archived