How do you handle nap time?

Luxuriate

My son will have just turned 3 years-old when we cruise next month. He still needs a two hour nap and usually takes it each afternoon. Lately, he gets so wound up at home during play that I end up driving him around for about 10 minutes in the car just to get him to sleep. I have never had to do this before.

If he doesn't take his afternoon nap he will be a terror all early evening through bed time. How am I going to get him to sleep in a strange cabin where there is so many new things to mess with rather than sleep during the afternoon?

I really am worried about this.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Cheryl

This is what we did... "Memaw" bought Curtis (3) a portable DVD player. We recorded some of his favorite shows to DVD before we left. We let him watch his special tv with headphones on and we told him "You can watch one show, then it is time for nap". He did pretty well with this. Being able to watch a familiar show relaxed him, then he was ready for nap or bed time.

My son will have just turned 3 years-old when we cruise next month. He still needs a two hour nap and usually takes it each afternoon. Lately, he gets so wound up at home during play that I end up driving him around for about 10 minutes in the car just to get him to sleep. I have never had to do this before.

If he doesn't take his afternoon nap he will be a terror all early evening through bed time. How am I going to get him to sleep in a strange cabin where there is so many new things to mess with rather than sleep during the afternoon?

I really am worried about this.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Cheryl

Are you bringing an umbrella stroller? You could push him around the deck for 20 minutes pre nap. Does he respond to stories? You could bring some new or favorite stories and have quiet time pre nap.

I agree. You should just head back to your cabin 45 minutes early and start to wind him down.

Personally I have always believed that TV and computers really only stimulate the mind (just because we sit still while we watch doesn't mean our brains are not going a mile a minute)

I like the book idea and the snuggle with mom idea.

I also think that the "newness" of the cabin will wear off after a day - so he wont be so inclined to explore.

Good Luck & Happy Sailing!

With our DD, we always clothes the drapes if its an outside/balcony cabin. Then with the room dim, we place her in the crib/pnp for "quiet time" with some quiet toys. DH and I lay down on the bed and pretend to sleep too.

After about 10 minutes she is usually out.

Even though its a strange place, the cabin is so small and she can see us through the crib rails. Also, she is sooo tired form all the excitement of being somewhere new that she just crashes. I also think the gentle rocking of the ship helps.

Julie

Even though its a strange place, the cabin is so small and she can see us through the crib rails. Julie

We always pack extra (thin) blankets and drape them over the side of the pack n play so DS cannot see out. We also put one on the top of the pack n play, especially if he is just napping.

Yes, he will pull them down, sometimes, but we just put them back up after he falls asleep.

This way there is no interesting stimuli to look at if he opens his eyes AND there is no extra light seeping in to the pack n play. The darker it is the longer the sleep!

I am talking flannel fabric blankets that don't take up too much room in a suitcase. You can also just use the towels provided in the room (ask for extras) to drape over the sides. (I would think towels would be too heavy over the top)

We found that our 2 and 4 year old, who really don't nap anymore, were begging for a nap (not really), after all morning at the pool on the ship or at the beach in port.

They never did get tired of all the fun and exciting things in the room, and we did a 7 day cruise.

My kids (3 and 7) don't nap anymore. BUT on cruises the 3 year old seems to collapse during the afternoon wherever we are.

The last cruise, we were on the beach, she curled up on a towel and fell right to sleep.

The cruise before that, on our way to the dolphin encounter, she fell asleep in the stroller on the tender boat.

Those late nights partying in the kid's camp really wipe her out. ;)

My kids (3 and 7) don't nap anymore. BUT on cruises the 3 year old seems to collapse during the afternoon wherever we are.

The last cruise, we were on the beach, she curled up on a towel and fell right to sleep.

The cruise before that, on our way to the dolphin encounter, she fell asleep in the stroller on the tender boat.

Those late nights partying in the kid's camp really wipe her out. ;)

Sometimes on a cruise I wish that I could just curl up where ever I am and konk out!

Archived